Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Sharing is caring....

Right around Christmas I received a message from a gentlemen who was my first client back in August; he was interested in picking up a gift that would keep giving for years to come (a new jig-stick ). He had been using an 8' Graphtech, but wasn't satisfied with the distance he was getting. As always, I suggested to dispel the myth that you can't fish a 9'+ stick from the kayak, and told him the results would follow. After spending quite a bit of time trying to explain all the options, pros and cons of graphite, glass, composite, etc via e-mail....I finally just suggested that we go down and pull on a few (the only way). He decided on a 9' Calstar 90J (Black beauty deck hand special), the classic stick that most long rods today evolved from. He loves his Avet MXL two-speed (awesome reel), but I sometimes think the ridiculous free-spool can act as a handicap, too much of a good thing. I thought he might be better off turning that reel into his main Yo-Yo set up for the winter bite to come. Maybe then he would be able to use that two-speed function on some of the heavy stubborn fish, in crowded situations. For his new jig-stick I couldn't help but think of a classic reel to match, a Newell. I don't think Michael has ever been on a local two-day charter on a sportboat, but I assured him that if he ever did to expect just about every other guy in the bow to have the exact same set up. After spooling up with fresh 40 lb Izorline, and picking up a couple of surface-irons we went around the corner to do a couple of practice casts off the jetty. Michael didn't immedietly fall in love with the new set up since he wasn't exactly getting the distance he was looking for, but I noticed that he had one of the prettiest swimming surface-irons ever made. I told him that if he puts that jig in front of a fish, hold on.

We decided to fish the next morning and play with the new toy, I was equally excited. Michael kept practicing his cast and was starting to make a little progress. I was quick to remind him that it isn't how far you can cast, but how well you can cast when you see Yellowtail. No matter who you are, casting at breaking fish is a challenge...practice, practice, practice. We kept moving around and I managed to place us in the path of our target, but the excitement was short lived. Michael stayed put, and I moved around watching the meter. Minutes later I see the fish break the surface, then Michael makes a cast with his Christmas present and I see that classic jig-stick bend in half with line peeling off the reel. The Yellowtail quickly pulled Michael over to a lobster pot, and even though fish were boiling all around me I made sure his first surface-iron Yellowtail made it into the kayak. I will admit, I think I had a tear in my eye watching Michael cast, fight, and land that fish on the long rod. This is the closest thing I've ever had to watching your son hit that home run, and I couldn't of been more proud.

Notice the Calstar black beauty, old school Newell and 40 lb Izorline, a classic.

I started to head in with Michael so I could share the joy of his achievment, but had a change of heart (I'm an only child ). I decided to stay a little longer and see what I could find and two hours later I was rewarded for my patience, again.

On the water photos are great, but I also enjoy those days without a photographer in sight...08' finished off strong.

I invited some friends the next morning, since I don't own that miracle four mile stretch of ocean, yet. I think everyone had a good time, and I got another one of those photos I will look back on with a smile when I'm old.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
MKNOTT

Very cool Josh...

That picture will make a great christmas card next year.

MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
Matt
Support your local pangas

first and foremost NICE JOB MIKEY!!!! Definitely a bitching setup to sling that iron!!

Josh as always WELL PLAYED SIR! And thanks for the morning invite always awesome to catch fish with you and definitely cool to do it in the gps area now marked "Josh's"!!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
steamroll

Right on Josh and Mike.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
landwhale

Way to pass it along Josh and congrats on the fish Michael

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
roosta

Very nice work you guys!
I think you have me sold on a nine footer Josh
Happy New Years!
roosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
taggermike

Surface iron YT in December! Very well done. And with the brand new stick, even better. I fish an ancient honey colored 90J with an equally old Newell 338 on my kayak and I love it. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
yakrider

congrats on that surface fish...
it was also nice to meet you yesterday...
are you sore from that fight?

can't wait to experience that!!!!!!!!

going to the tackle shop today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
Dennis

.. Nice work guys!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
erinoo

Atta boy Josh..Happy New Year.....Gonna try and get Joy on her first yellow tomorrow...see ya soon my friend...Eric
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
Trout
Looks are everything

... and in January. Gotta love it.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
forefrazier

Great post Josh....Now you have me thiking of giving my 690J a try out there! Nice fish Michael. Congrats!
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
mwm

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
mwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
mwm

Guess I'm better at reading than sending. Anyway- nice fish Josh-good to meet you and Matt. Looking forward to landing my first LJ YT-way to go Michael. Mike
mwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
EFISH

Nice fish! Darkhorse question for you: Do you yo, yo with your 9ft. stick or do you bring a shorter stick out for that and use the 9ft. just for throwing the iron?
Thanks
Peace Out
EFISH
EFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #16
j mo

as always great post!

proud memeber of the 9' club,

josh
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #17
yakrider

just got back from the tackle shop...
got the 90j...can't wait to use it....

mine was the first rod puchased for them in 2009...
maybe that will make it the lucky stick!!!!!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
esdees
The Good Clone

Good times.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #19
Geoffkoop

Very nice. Can't wait for mine.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #20
THE DARKHORSE

You can do what you want.....I love this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFISH View Post
Nice fish! Darkhorse question for you: Do you yo, yo with your 9ft. stick or do you bring a shorter stick out for that and use the 9ft. just for throwing the iron?
Thanks
Peace Out
EFISH

I've caught many Yellowtail yo-yo'ing with the Ulua, but these days I have a 5' 6" 30 lb--80 lb rated Kencore strung up with 40 lb mono specifically for the heavy jigs...they don't make this rod anymore, and are making more mass produced rods now since the company changed hands. The only problem with yo-yo'ing on your jig-stick is when the Yellowtail break the surface you have an inferior iron to throw at them, instead of a surface-iron that swims well. Not to mention seeing Yellowtail blow up on the surface 30' off your bow kinda sucks when your yo-yo iron is 150' down.

As a general rule I don't blind cast surface-irons, too many time I've had my target swim past me or break the surface and I didn't have my jig-stick ready, never again, always cocked and loaded . I'm considering adding a second jig-stick to my arsenal for that very reason, blind casting can be productive at times.