Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

late post long beach lobsters

fished for halis in the morning. landed 2 legals near belmont pier.
fished for bugs when it got dark. 16 legals and 20+ shorts in 4 hours. the biggest 2 females were released to repopulate.

on a side note. got back on land and started to rip the tails off. the coast guard yanked their boat out of the water, came up to us, and asked what we were doing. we told them that we're only keeping the tails. we also asked if we could throw the heads in the ocean so fish can eat it and it isn't wasted... coast guards said "shit! i'll take them home and make some soup!" nice to now that the heads are going to be used. they have alot of meat in them.

1st pic is one of our med bugs next to a big 7-8lb female.
2nd pic is our total score of legals (we tossed back 2 after we took the pic)

Old 12-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Are you trolling for a reaction here or are you serious....

You cant tail your lobsters at the ramp...thats just a little bit illegal....obvious the coast guard guys didnt know.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Don't worry about Tony. He's just jealous...
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

I'm sorry Tony, I guess the parking lot of the launch ramp doesn't count as the shore huh. Damn, I need to read my regulations. Good thing you know the rules!

Next time, you should probably try and Google something to make sure you're right before you post a reply. Or else you might get some boater upset. Then he'll see you at the sewer and test how well you can keep your PA upright when he throws some wakes.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
crazywakeboarder

For info this is directly from the CA department of fish and game page 50 of their online booklet found here:
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...22&inline=true

I've highlighted the section that applies for anyone to interpret in their own way

Congrats on the haul. If you ever have an open spot on your boat, I'll gladly pitch in for fuel and parking at the launch

Last edited by crazywakeboarder; 12-08-2014 at 10:31 PM.
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywakeboarder View Post
For info this is directly from the CA department of fish and game page 50 of their online booklet found here:
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...22&inline=true

I've highlighted the section that applies for anyone to interpret in their own way

Man that's a broad description. It should really be more specific.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:44 AM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
I'm sorry Tony, I guess the parking lot of the launch ramp doesn't count as the shore huh. Damn, I need to read my regulations. Good thing you know the rules!

Next time, you should probably try and Google something to make sure you're right before you post a reply. Or else you might get some boater upset. Then he'll see you at the sewer and test how well you can keep your PA upright when he throws some wakes.

😮

Even if this is not true (which it looks like it is) it's still funny 😁
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
blitzburgh

Nice haul!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:

That little hooping booklet that says its legal to tail lobsters on shore or launch ramp is wrong. If you want to continue to do so, go right ahead. When you get caught you can try to explain to the dfg officer that its legal and you read the "rules" in this book. Trust me you will get a ticket.

Oooh did i upset you are you threatening me?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:23 AM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
😮

Even if this is not true (which it looks like it is) it's still funny 😁

Funny how brandon...
Old 12-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Sarcasm... Tony can you pull a quote from the DFG website to show what he did was illegal. Was what he quoted not out of the DFG book? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'd actually like to know what the law is.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #12
Saba Slayer

booklet

I believe that booklet is an older print...that was done before the regulation was changed. The Lobster regs were reworked a few years ago to define the sizes and style of the hoop nets and I believe the reg about detailing was changed at that time...
Tony is right...do not de-tail your lobsters until you are home. Without a carapace there is no way for the DFW to determine if it's a legal bug!
Info in a booklet and info from the regulations is two different things...I'd trust the regs!
DFW wardens can stop you at anytime on or off the water. I've had them pull me over as I was leaving outside the parking lot on a public street.
Take the bugs home, de-tail them, and then throw the legs in the microwave and make popcorn lobster.
Taking photos of over limit and posting on a web board also isn't the brightest move. "All lobsters shall be measured immediately upon being brought to the surface of the water, and any undersize lobsters shall be released immediately into the water." No sense being over-limit just for a dumb photo.
WOW...I guess I better not kayak next to Tony anymore...since he's upsetting boaters...?

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:

Why would you openly threaten someone that is trying to keep help you out? I won't bother checking Google but I'm sure that your comments could be considered assault. The next time someone gives you advise or says you're doing something wrong question that persons knowledge before you go and threaten them..................that sh*t is not cool.

P.S.
I fish with Tony 99% of the time so if that boater decides to cause a wake that flips us I can assure you that he'll also be dealing with me. That is not a threat, its a fact.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 12-09-2014 at 09:34 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Sarcasm... Tony can you pull a quote from the DFG website to show what he did was illegal. Was what he quoted not out of the DFG book? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'd actually like to know what the law is.
I think that pamphlet is the same one that is mailed to the hoop netters by the DFG each year, I wouldn't trust it.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #15
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I think that pamphlet is the same one that is mailed to the hoop netters by the DFG each year, I wouldn't trust it.

Ah, okay. No sense in getting a ticket if it's not needed. Doesn't seem like a huge benefit to dispose of lobster heads at the launch ramp. I can see the the Perks of possibly filleting a couple big fish there if you don't own a dumpster, but lobster heads can't take up that much room. Benefit of the doubt was given to the OP by me in that I assumed he was not alone for the number of lobsters he had taken. If he was alone he obviously is over limit....
Old 12-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #16
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Directly from the DFG website.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faq.asp

Q. How many hoop nets can I use on my boat?

A. According to CCR T14, Section 29.80(b) not more than 5 baited hoop nets may be fished by a person, not to exceed a total of 10 hoop nets fished from any vessel, regardless of how many people are aboard.

Q. How many hoop nets can I use while fishing from a public pier?

A. You may use up to two appliances (rod and reel, hoop net, etc.) while fishing from a public pier - two rods and reels, or 1 rod and reel and 1 hoop net, or 2 hoop nets. Reference CCR T14, Section 28.65(b)

Q. May I tail my legally harvested lobsters while still at sea or at the boat launch ramp?

A. No. Spiny lobsters shall be kept in a whole, measurable condition, until being prepared for immediate consumption. Reference CCR T14, Section 29.90(e)

Q. I heard about a Lobster Fishery Management Plan that is currently underway. Where can I find more information?

A. Visit the California Spiny Lobster Fishery Management Plan web page.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
YakDout
Brandon

Hmmm, that is pretty clear cut. Right out of the book...
Old 12-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #18
tacmik

NEVER QUESTION THE SEWER. You will end up with stink on you.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #19
jruiz
Large Member

Last edited by lambadmin; 12-11-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: no name calling
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #20
tamddo714

(_)_)lllllD
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote