Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #1
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Best Rod and Reel Setup For Rock Cod?

Hi, looking for some input on what you think is the best rod and reel for rock cod fishing from a kayak. Please let me know why you recommend, especially the reel what are the pros and cons. Thanks!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:17 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

No specific recommendation other than a high gear ratio and fishing with braid.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:01 PM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

It has been decades since I rockcodded on the West Coast, but If I were to target deep water Rockfish, I would use a slow taper rod, 7ft or shorter because a fast taper rod will be more difficult to feel the strikes. A 2-speed reel using high speed when no fish are on the line, and low gear for when winding up fish. A reel with a long handle or a custom longer handle crank for easier winding. Since only 2 hooks are allowed, I would probably fish with 20-50lb braid(lighter line for less drift). I would consider rigging a half pool noodle on the kayak rail for a place to rest the rod while cranking up fish.

Two-speed reels for under 40lb line are unnecessary if one is a strong, seasoned angler. With that in mind, would probably opt for a 1-speed reel if fishing lighter lines. Back when 2:1 gear ratios were the norm for rockcodding, if one reeled up too fast, the fish would sometimes spin-off. It is always better to wind up slow and steady when reeling up rockfish.

In the '70s, one could catch rockfish using cigarette butts for bait. My buddy once caught his limit of half-day boat rockcod using a cut-off broomstick for a rod, u-nails for guides, and a Penn Del Mar reel secured with electric tape --LOL.

I still have my Hermosa Tackle Box Rockcod Special - 9ft Roller guide heavy duty Rod with a rail plate for steady cranking and a custom long crank handle 9/0 Penn Senator loaded with 80lb dacron. That was the best outfit to own back in the days of Cowcod and 15 fish limits. If I ever do deep dropping from a boat off Florida, I will use it instead of the electric reels that most Floridians use. Using electricity is cheating.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:40 PM   #4
grey zone

A multitask rod is ideal on a kayak. I fish rockcod with a Calstar 670 rated 20-50lb, and a Avet JX with 50lb braid.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:54 AM   #5
AlwaysFishing

Dave,
My go to set is the Okuma PCH Custom 7' 20-50lbs rod and the Penn FTHII15LW. I initially got the Penn FTHII25NSD because I wanted the fast retrieval rate of 42" per revolution but I found it be too much work without the level wind when fishing deep water. I primarily use the FTHII15LW even though it only have 30" per revolution of retrieval rate. I'd go with the FTHII25NSD if you don't need level wind. Both hold a ton of lines so they will work for rock fish. This is what works best for me and the combo was very affordable.

-Quang
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:23 PM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Guiding line on a conventional reel is like riding a bike. Once mastered, one does not think about it, and the thumb guides automatically. Many star-drag conventional reels have the option to adjust the hand crank wider. The wider setting optimizes the easier winding of the reel for reeling up from deep.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:06 AM   #7
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Dave,
My go to set is the Okuma PCH Custom 7' 20-50lbs rod and the Penn FTHII15LW. I initially got the Penn FTHII25NSD because I wanted the fast retrieval rate of 42" per revolution but I found it be too much work without the level wind when fishing deep water. I primarily use the FTHII15LW even though it only have 30" per revolution of retrieval rate. I'd go with the FTHII25NSD if you don't need level wind. Both hold a ton of lines so they will work for rock fish. This is what works best for me and the combo was very affordable.

-Quang
Thanks Quang. I'll definitely consider the LW as this will probably be for my nephews and 'guest' I bring along that don't have a lot of patience. I have the Fathom 15SD at this point for myself and love it.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote