Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
Gunner58

Rod and reel question

What do you all typically use for yellowtail? I know there are diff methods but what is a good all around setup? I currently have a Abu Garcia 5500 spooled with 40lb power pro and a 7' star rod that is heavy action that can handle up to 3oz weight. Is this to light of a set up. I enjoy going as light as I can. It's all about the fight. Anyone can horse in a fish but it takes talent to get it done on a setup that most might think to be too light.
Gunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner58 View Post
What do you all typically use for yellowtail? I know there are diff methods but what is a good all around setup? I currently have a Abu Garcia 5500 spooled with 40lb power pro and a 7' star rod that is heavy action that can handle up to 3oz weight. Is this to light of a set up. I enjoy going as light as I can. It's all about the fight. Anyone can horse in a fish but it takes talent to get it done on a setup that most might think to be too light.

Use what you like, don't worry about what everybody else uses. I personally use heavier gear for yellows, I guess that means I lack talent....
Old 05-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Gunner58

I really didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Just curious if that is way to light of gear. I don't want to break any of my gear due to lack of knowledge. I just got to the area and really want to get ahold of one of these famous yellows
Old 05-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

You should be able to catch yellows just fine with that gear but you gotta remember that fishing la jolla isn't like fishing offshore. You have to contend with kelp, rocks, other boaters, kayakers and seals...So like I said although you should be able to catch fish just fine on that gear....but trust me your perspective will change when you get rocked, kelped, or sealed....and you wish you could have pulled a little harder.....

....just read it again....seems like you could use a better reel with a bigger handle, and some heavier spectra, your rod doesn't need to be a heavy action....I would go with something medium.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
Gunner58

I was thinking the same thing. I have used it on 30lb king salmon in the river but that is a little different situation. Any suggestions on a good feel that won't break the bank?
Old 05-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I have used it on 30lb king salmon in the river but that is a little different situation. Any suggestions on a good feel that won't break the bank?
By good feel I'm assuming you mean good reel?

Avet
Shimano Torium
Daiwa Saltist
....I'm sure there's plenty more.

I like and use avets, these reels are not for everybody...but for me they kinda balance out, as far as cost, quality and durability.

If kayak fishing is something your going to take up seriously then invest in some good equipment....not the best top of the line but, good decent equipment, that will serve you well for many years.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
octico

It depends on what your idea of "break the bank" is. If you want to start cheap go with Daiwa SealineX or Seagate and Penn Sabre rod or a Turner Californian rod. You can probably get the combo for under $200.00.

Be sure to get some heavier line 65#braid should be good enough to cut through kelp.

Hope that helps.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
Nic D

Quote:
What do you all typically use for yellowtail?I enjoy going as light as I can. It's all about the fight.
I think you answered your own question.

I use Okuma 7' (bait) and 8' (iron) rods with Cedros 10 and 15 size reels loaded with 65lb Izor braid and 6' of 40Izor xxx.

Quote:
Anyone can horse in a fish but it takes talent to get it done on a setup that most might think to be too light.
I don't fish yt all that much, but when I do, I'm not in a "talent" show. I really could care less what the next guy thinks of me, my equipment, my boat or my methods. I'm out there to put as much meat on the deck and have as much fun doing it as possible.

hope this helps.

Nic

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
taggermike

From a kayak I don't think many, or any, can horse in a big yellow tail no matter what the gear. I choose to use heavier gear; 65 lb braid, 30 or 40 lb leader, a Shimano TLD 15 lever drag and heavy all glass calstar rod. I've caught many yt on lighter gear but mostly use heavier gear now. Here are a few reasons. La Jolla can be a rough neighborhood; crowds, anchor lines, lobster trap lines, thick kelp, and too many too smart sea lions. Every second the fish is on the line increases it's odd of finding a way to get away, or get killed by a dog, and lowers your odds of landing the fish. I like fighting fish as well, but when you've been fishing all day for 1 bite and you fight the fish for 1/2 an hour only to have a dog get it you might with you'd had heavier gear. Lastly, I'd rather have too much rather than too little. There is always a chance you might hook a real trophy fish; 50 lb yt, 50 lb halibut 60-70ln seabass. By all means, use what you like. I prefer heavier gear. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
By good feel I'm assuming you mean good reel?

Avet
Shimano Torium
Daiwa Saltist
....I'm sure there's plenty more.

I like and use avets, these reels are not for everybody...but for me they kinda balance out, as far as cost, quality and durability.

If kayak fishing is something your going to take up seriously then invest in some good equipment....not the best top of the line but, good decent equipment, that will serve you well for many years.
I have all 3 listed and saltist all the way.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #11
Gunner58

Thanks guys and again I didn't mean to insult anyone just wondering what is too light. Looks like I'm gonna invest in a saltist. And breaking the bank for me is a reel over 200. I have been kayak fishing for the past 6 years on the east coast and the gear that I have was plenty heavy for a 20lb striper. I am not opposed to shelling out 300 for a good rod and reel.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:06 AM   #12
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I guess that means I lack talent....
Quote:
Thanks guys and again I didn't mean to insult anyone just wondering what is too light.
Gunner man, don't let your guard down when wolves lurk on BWE. When someone tries to bitch-slap you...you've gotta bitch-slap them back harder, no apologies required Like the guy above...FulofshitRac...here's a recent photo of him and his ride...he calls it his "dugout papaya" or something like that...hope this helps. Go get yours. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (46).jpg (59.4 KB, 138 views)
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #13
kauaiboy04

avet sx spooled w/50lb braid to 25lb fluoro, on a 15-40lb rod. i do just fine for yellows with that.

the general consensus you'll find on this board is 65lb to 30-40lb fluoro and a similar rod.

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #14
mpc

Guys I appreciate the info I'm getting from this thread and the forum in general. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and opinions.
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote