Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
TNelson82
Junior

What is the best yak for San Diego Salt???

Just found out that I'm am moving to SD this winter. I have been fishing out of Virginia the last few years. I am in the market for a new yak and I am looking for some input on what you guys are using out there. I just sold my Tarpon 140 and have been looking at the WS ATAK, the WS Thresher and the Jackson Kraken. I don't want to buy another rig when I get out there. So what is the best yak for SD Salt??? Thanks!
TNelson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Thrasher or the Kraken couldn't go wrong great open water yaks
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
captnblood34

Stick with WS. The ATAK has features that I feel prove worthy in fresh or non chop waters. The Thresher has a sick FF/ducer mount. That would be my next rig after my son grows into my tarpon 120. My .02

J
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
tacmik

Any of those will work. It will come down to personal choice as they are all great yaks. My preference is the Thresher, but again it's what you prefer. Look forward to seeing you out on the water when you get here.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I don't think either would be a bad choice. That FF pod in the WS is pretty sweet. I've been looking at the Kraken for my next yak, some good reviews around and the speed looks to be a huge upgrade over most yaks out there, especially over my barge.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
kauaiboy04

As said before, it truly is a personal preference thing. Like to peddle, or paddle? Stability or speed? I'd highly recommend test paddling a few of them. Go check out OEX in Mission Bay, they've got a to of kayaks you can demo.

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
FISH11

Either one would be the latest to come from their manufacturer and both are for open water. Like Justin said above test them both out and pick your favorite. Good Luck
Old 05-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #8
Rufus

I must step up to the plate.....if you want to seriously fish the salt, buy a Hobie Outback or PA.

Doubt me? Go down to Shelter Island or La Jolla Shores and keep count of the yacks used by the guys who are fishing.

Big hug to my paddle brothers out there. Yes, I have an X-Factor.

it sits, well used, in the rafters of my garage where it's been for four years.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #9
5-20

Welcome to the area dude, I grew up to northern va.

I bought a XFactor when I moved here, thinking I'd enjoy the workout involved in paddling, but oh boy, I have to admit that I'm now kind of jealous of my buddies who have a hobie outback or PA14 and I've been thinking about getting either yak for a while. It's just so much easier to multitask and stay on a spot when you have your hands free.

Do a bit of research (tons of threads about paddle v. pedal yaks on this site and others) before demoing and buying.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
easyday

I love my thresher 155. Best bet go to OEX and try a bunch out, decide for yourself.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #11
TNelson82
Junior

Thanks for the inputs. I am definately a paddle guy. The Hobies are sweet but I really enjoy paddling, so they are not for me. I gotta demo the thresher and the kraken. The major thing for me is that I will be buying one here in Virginia and won't be headed out your way till Feb. I have no clue what the conditions are like out there. Anyone try standing in either of these? I wish they would put the Ride seat in the thresher, I would buy it in a heartbeat if that was the case.
TNelson82 is offline   Reply With Quote