Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #41
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
fifty years ago? lets see it.... I love papers from the good old days...

so have you learned anything you didnt already know from the replies to this post?

You should talk to Keith Poe...

I think Keith and Jim are pretty good friends, but i could be mistaken.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #42
Fiskadoro

Quote:
fifty years ago? lets see it.... I love papers from the good old days...
I don't have time to look it up but Sam Gruber was I think the guy who was writing about this back in the sixties. Before him they thought that sharks mainly just fed by their sense of smell. If I remember correctly his definitive paper sharks and their vision was published in 1965, but he was pushing his theories back before that in something like 1961. There is probably some shit about him online somewhere. I first read about him in Scientific America or some other Science mag back when I was fishing Tigers, Hammers, and Bullsharks in the surf in Texas as a kid.

Quote:
...so have you learned anything you didnt already know from the replies to this post?
Nope. Not really, I wish. The article you talked about just kinda backs up what I already knew, though I'm not sure you get that. On the bright side, I could say this thread has given me some insight in regards to you.

How about you... Have you learned anything?

Quote:
You should talk to Keith Poe...
I've known Kieth for almost a couple decades now. I fished with him mainly back in the 90s. I designed and built his bait tank for his current boat, and some other gear, and even painted it for him. I know him pretty well, better then most as I've spent many hours on the water with him. Kieth and I have talked endless hours about every aspect of shark behavior that we could think of. I was already building shark jigs when I first met Kieth, so I'm sure the topic jig color and sharks came up more then once.

Kieth is Kieth: people either love him or sometimes hate him, but deep down he's got a good soul and he just loves to fish sharks. Ultimately when shark fishing really started taking off back in early 2000s Kieth and I took different paths. I used to post all kinds of info about them and just quit. If I'd been smart I would of written a book like Archer and made some money off it, but I basically just quit posting about them online, and giving out info about fishing them, because I was concerned that they were going to get over fished. Kieth felt that by posting he could direct peoples attitudes, and influence them into preserving the resource, I'm far more cynical when it comes to people then he is.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-15-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #43
Gigafish

Great read.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #44
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
I've known Kieth for almost a couple decades now. I fished with him mainly back in the 90s. I designed and built his bait tank for his current boat, and some other gear, and even painted it for him. I know him pretty well, better then most as I've spent many hours on the water with him. Kieth and I have talked endless hours about every aspect of shark behavior that we could think of. I was already building shark jigs when I first met Kieth, so I'm sure the topic jig color and sharks came up more then once.

Kieth is Kieth: people either love him or sometimes hate him, but deep down he's got a good soul and he just loves to fish sharks. Ultimately when shark fishing really started taking off back in early 2000s Kieth and I took different paths. I used to post all kinds of info about them and just quit. If I'd been smart I would of written a book like Archer and made some money off it, but I basically just quit posting about them online, and giving out info about fishing them, because I was concerned that they were going to get over fished. Kieth felt that by posting he could direct peoples attitudes, and influence them into preserving the resource, I'm far more cynical when it comes to people then he is.

Jim
so Jim how is Keith, last I heard he was chasing swords off cat.

and yes I see that the post is waaayyy old.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #45
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
so Jim how is Keith, last I heard he was chasing swords off cat.
I haven't seen or talked to Kieth in a long while. He's posting at Allcoast again and supposedly in the process of setting up a new boat a 31 Bertram.

I look at Kieth as kind of a internet fishing dinosaur. By that I mean that there were a group of us back in the late 90s that really put a lot of effort into trying to exchange fishing info publicly online, and as a result kind of ended up with sort of a weird internet fishing celebrity status, and it effected different people different ways.

Kieth loves to fish, but also wants to be an important figure in the fishing community. I think that might have a bit to do with his new obsessions: Deep dropping for swords and trying to catch a local salmon shark. At any rate he's got the sword bug, and has been fishing them deep, trying to find a way to consistently target and catch them.

I wish him luck on that one.

No-one I know has gotten the deep drop sword thing to work here in So Cal. We just do not have the gulf stream and structure they have in Florida, or the predictable upwellings they have in Venezuela to make it work. Years ago my buddy Mike and I used to joke that the three hardest fish to catch local are Swordfish Bigeye and Opah. Since then I've got a local Bigeye and he's got an Opah but though we've baited more then twenty some between us neither of us have got a local sword.

There was a good debate about the various methods that might actually work here over at BD last winter.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/fis...ml#post2550594

Worth a read if your into swordfish, but you might want to note that no-one there claims to know of a way to consistently target them.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #46
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post

There was a good debate about the various methods that might actually work here over at BD last winter.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/fis...ml#post2550594

Worth a read if your into swordfish, but you might want to note that no-one there claims to know of a way to consistently target them.

Jim
Thanks Jim, yeah he was taking a beating over at bd I saw the post when it first went up and the subsequent cartoons and all. I used to see him in that stealthy boat all the time blasting out of LB harbour. One day hes going to figure it out (if he hasn't already and is just keeping it on the down low) Innovation eventually comes through failure, nothing but best wishes for him.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #47
Rabac3898
Junior

Shark sighted off Marina State Beach

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/...na-state-beach
Rabac3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #48
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
camo bottom safety...tip #2

Another shark safety tip....if you paint your kayak bottom cammo for safety and then you probably do not want to hang your bloody black booties and legs overboard after the shark follows your fish back to the boat? Just sayin'
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #49
maui jim

Well said.. Ive seen sharks twice in30 years of surfing Oside and Santa Barbara, its there world and im passing through.
Ihave also been in close contact with bears and a Mountain Lion while hunting in deep woods and forests. And I dont like being stalked either way, but being in the outdoors there is no betta life, So enjoy it before you get too old. No ka oi.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #50
Smokeybear
Junior

Interesting old thread. Who's watching shark week, I was watching shark week about the two surfers killed in Vanderberg one in 2010 and the other one 2012, also that missing firefighter that went kayak fishing off Gaviota beach Coincidence I don't think so.

Let's face it the state is protecting a predator like th GWS and since the 1990s there are more sharks and they found lots of food in Socal and humans are not a threat to them anymore.

About kayak and colors I think it's the shape not the color most surfers are wearing black and riding white surfboards and from below they look like seals, do kayaks look like slow dying dolphin?
Great thread
Smokeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #51
tacmik

Actually, the color of the yak doesn't matter. It's the motion and vibrations that the Hobie fins put out that trigger the shark attacks.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #52
Melinda3
Junior

xoxo

Essay writing is not easy for everyone if this is a real torture for you and you desperately need help to get your A grade for this task, this source is indispensable to visit and find out the depository of essay examples you can choose any as a model http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/the-olor-of-water-essay
Melinda3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:21 AM   #53
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
A little jab"ll do ya

The poles are light get out and vote your last chance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161108_061033.jpg (45.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 20161108_061111.jpg (34.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 11-08-2016, 05:25 AM   #54
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Who's no's what the tide will bring.....

Lj....sunrise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161029_063456_LLS.jpg (41.6 KB, 139 views)
Old 11-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #55
tacmik

always thought that sharks were color blind, only saw in black and white. Or was that my dog? Also as to the color red, thought that that was the first color to go in the spectrum in the water.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #56
Sheephead

My buddy listens to house music via portable speaker and see's a shark every outing. Don't listen to music and you'll almost never see one.
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #57
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I'm hearing the.....

IMMIGRANT......song We are your overlords....

Last edited by MITCHELL; 11-12-2016 at 06:36 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #58
SoCalEDC

So to revive an old thread...

We have 10 more years of data since this post was created and recreational kayaking/kayak fishing is probably more popular now than it ever was in the past. With all the more data to analyze, has the evidence shifted to show that color of kayak does or doesn't matter?

Do shark stripes on the bottom of the hull work if they are painted in a way that they break up the sihlouette and don't look like a caution sign?
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe

Last edited by SoCalEDC; 10-20-2020 at 08:13 AM.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:28 PM   #59
SoCalEDC

Found this, very brief recap:

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventur...olor-question/

Very interesting. Bed time for me. Maybe someone else will find some more info for a proper revival of this ever relevant topic.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:28 AM   #60
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
https://www.mensjournal.com/adventur...olor-question/

Very interesting. Bed time for me. Maybe someone else will find some more info for a proper revival of this ever relevant topic.

Thanks for bringing up this unread thread and sharing the article by Paul Lebowitz. I have always gone with "yum yum" yellow as my biggest fear is getting hit by a derelict boater. Plenty of them off SE Florida. In my 6 years offshore I have encountered plenty of hammerhead and bull sharks and have yet to have a yak bite. On two occasions I have had hammerheads hit the yak, but in both cases, I Believe the attempt was directed towards the Solas reflective tape, and my papaya kayak hull.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote