Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
carbonbass

Hunting Mr.T a taste of victory....

Decided to hit up NP for some threshers since the recent dana report wasnt so great. What a great day to be on the water and a nice change from the last trips out. Glassy water, warm sun, no wind. For whatever reason I could not make bait to save my life, I guess I still have a lot to learn about the basics...

I saw some bait boiling on some junk on the surface just off wedge jetty. It looked like dines or spanish macs. I tried jigging the sabiki, mac stripping the tips, everything and for all of my efforts was a small what I believe midshipmen? Anywho thanks to andy at oex i had my new cuda SMAP 350 installed. I could see a few balls close to the bottom every once in a while but i could not get them to bite. Finally i said screw it and went to the barge to see if i could sabiki some there, not a single mac! Wow, hasnt been this hard to make bait in ages ;P.

I did however, notice another fisherman baiting up at the barge with his bait tank (i only have a bait tube, but i may pay the barge a few bucks to fill it next time). I asked if he had any macs and he said he only had some dines but that he had a ton. I asked him what he was fishing for and he said mr.t. We decided to team up and see what we could do. Within 5 minutes of dropping one down just outside the harbor in 85 ft of water my clicker goes off. I wait a good 10-15 seconds and put the reel in gear, it makes a few short runs and jumps twice before i pull the bait and hook out of his mouth, damn!

My new kayaking friend Steve is now super stoked to hook one. We troll closer to the kelp and then swing back around towards the harbor. About half way back Steve gets picked up. He swings backwards a few times, and i see a MASSIVE tail splashing like a skate across the surface, shortly after steves line goes slack, and he pulls the bait right out of this one's mouth, dang! I think i will try tomorrow, hopefully the barge will give me a handful of dines for my tube. Thanks for reading, its nice to finally have some action with this new style of fishing i have taken a liking to.

Can anyone ID this fish that hit my sabiki?

Last edited by carbonbass; 08-04-2011 at 03:36 PM.
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

I know the feeling, we hit up SB last week for nada, small bait, huntin'
"T" got back to the landing and a skiff had a 6 footer on board out of Carp, we will get em next time, hey BTW are you on SC surf too same name...? anyway I just might come down your way on sunday...late...b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
fishsouthcounty

Looks like a perfect day out there. Congrats on gettin picked up, unfortunate to not get it boatside. Unfortunately i didnt make it out of DP this morning like i was planning on. Ended up with some last minute obligations that needed tending to. Good luck out there tomorrow, should be another good day.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Fish4Fun

Question ID this fish

I got the same one on Sat last week, in the kelp of CDM. First time and I sure would like to know what it was.
Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

fish is a midshipman, or commonly know as a "chupacabra".
See you sacrifice a lure a week ago and this week make a catch. now keep at it and you will be landing them in no time.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
T Bone

I am going to try again one day next week.maybe we can team up.next time try using a small castmaster and a 6# spinning setup to make macs.Glad you got a taste.I know the feeling you have now.I have had that feeling before....

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I am going to try again one day next week.maybe we can team up.next time try using a small castmaster and a 6# spinning setup to make macs.Glad you got a taste.I know the feeling you have now.I have had that feeling before....
Pm'd
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
dorado50

sarcastic fringehead............
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
x2
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
steveooo

Quote:

X3..
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
Amish Ed

X4... Midshipman have lines of bioluminescent spots on their sides. Good you got picked up. Keep at it and you'll get one.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #12
norcalkat
Junior

not sure if you know but stripping your sabiki with mackeral will almost guarantee you not to get sardines, also sardines like a certain style of sabiki's that look like small shrimps....not all sabiki's work for dines. i dont strip them with any bait.
norcalkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
blitzburgh

Quote:
X5
Old 08-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalkat View Post
not sure if you know but stripping your sabiki with mackeral will almost guarantee you not to get sardines, also sardines like a certain style of sabiki's that look like small shrimps....not all sabiki's work for dines. i dont strip them with any bait.
I believe as he was targeting threshers for the day his intentions of tipping with mackerel were to attract mackerel. Which we all know will normally most certainly entice mackerel if they are there. Needless to say, good heads up if going for sardines.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
fish is a midshipman, or commonly know as a "chupacabra".
See you sacrifice a lure a week ago and this week make a catch. now keep at it and you will be landing them in no time.
Isn't this a midshipman? Sorry brotha!.../LMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvo8ou46gQw

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #16
coxtanker421

do you believe in aliens? greatest trick ever pulled. what type of sibiki for dines do you is reccomended ? pls. any input. might have to change tactics and head up north , instead of lj.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote