Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2021, 07:40 PM   #1
Carlos Gonzalez

casting surface iron with 7'6", M or H?

Hi guys,

I am about to get a phenix black diamond 7'6" PWS760M, i will use it to fish from the kayak only, my idea is surface iron and metals, is going to be paired with a accurate 400, just have a doubt if I should get the PWS760M or the PSW760.

Do you have have any experience with these rods?

I know 7'6" is not the best option for surface iron but is what I feel more comfortable.

I really appreciate your help!

Cheers!
Old 07-06-2021, 06:36 AM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Contact me if you want something custom.

This is my iron and wahoo bomb set up.
One reel for two poles, but I'm using aftco unibutts
Phoenix Abyss 20-50 Lt 9.3
Calstar grafighter 30-80 Lt 7ft
Nanolite guides
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210706_070321.jpg (41.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 20210706_070257.jpg (40.3 KB, 82 views)
Old 07-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Subliminally answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Gonzalez View Post
Hi guys,

I am about to get a phenix black diamond 7'6" PWS760M, i will use it to fish from the kayak only, my idea is surface iron and metals, is going to be paired with a accurate 400, just have a doubt if I should get the PWS760M or the PSW760.

Do you have have any experience with these rods?

I know 7'6" is not the best option for surface iron but is what I feel more comfortable.

I really appreciate your help!

Cheers!

"M" is mentioned 3 times, "H" only in your title. Would depend on what pound line and type of lures you plan to use with it?

Based on the reel size, I would guess the "M" would be most suitable.

On the Pheonix website, B-PSW-C 760M looks like a top-quality pricey blank. We all have different tastes, Congratulations on your decision Carlos!

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 07-06-2021 at 10:28 AM.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:24 AM   #4
SoCalEDC

Depends what you are fishing for. What reel are you going to pair it with? If you are going to pair it with a baitcaster consider the m1 Inshore as well, they are available from 7'4" up to I think 9'. They make a variety of rods in the M1 series. I paired mine (8'2" 20-45#) with a tranx 400HG and it works great for lighter irons i.e. everything tady 45 and lighter. Its actually rated up to an 8oz lure but I don't think I would throw anything heavy with that.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #5
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

Phenix black diamond series
PSW760M: 15-40# rating
PSW760H: 20-60# rating

People say that the black diamond series is weight rated higher than that feel. I would go to a shop and test pull on both rods to see which one you would prefer when on a yak.

Also, would you prefer a deckhand style or a reel seat? If reel seat, maybe look into okuma pch custom and daiwa proteus rods. they are priced fairly well. also, Californian rods from Turners? I believe that they are phenix blanks (abyss or axis, if i recall).
Old 07-07-2021, 03:11 PM   #6
Carlos Gonzalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
Phenix black diamond series
PSW760M: 15-40# rating
PSW760H: 20-60# rating

People say that the black diamond series is weight rated higher than that feel. I would go to a shop and test pull on both rods to see which one you would prefer when on a yak.

Also, would you prefer a deckhand style or a reel seat? If reel seat, maybe look into okuma pch custom and daiwa proteus rods. they are priced fairly well. also, Californian rods from Turners? I believe that they are phenix blanks (abyss or axis, if i recall).

thanks a lot, the big problem I have is I am in Ensenada and i am not able to cross the border yet, however, I ended up buying a Okuma PCH 7'6"H, i am just waiting to receive it and test it.

cheers guys!
Old 07-08-2021, 04:39 AM   #7
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Gonzalez View Post
thanks a lot, the big problem I have is I am in Ensenada and i am not able to cross the border yet, however, I ended up buying a Okuma PCH 7'6"H, i am just waiting to receive it and test it.

cheers guys!
Congratulations on your purchase. Buying a completed rod for less than the Phoenix blank price is a good practical choice. With a 20-50lb rating, it splits the difference between the 760M and H. I won a couple of Okuma rods and they seem like good quality.

The mark-up on rod blanks, and rod building material is insane. If I can find a bulk wrapped version, it's usually more economical to strip it down and re-wrap it to my tastes rather than to buy all the parts for a new build.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote