Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 01:33 PM   #41
NICKWORN

Mid June

OEX notified me and the others that the manufacture is behind and our new ETA is Mid-June. It is what it is, COVID got everything delayed.

Whats crazy though is that I was 3rd in line and there is now over 17 solo skiff being purchased. Pretty cool to see the community supporting local business like OEX!

T-minus 2 weeks!!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #42
FISH11

Talking

It's weird. It's like my ordered Solo Skiff is planning on getting here for my birthday.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #43
igotpron
Xcoastie

This thread had me questioning my next purchase. Pro angler or ?? Did consider the solo skiff. I just think the pro angler is so comfortable I wanted to have one again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #44
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
It's weird. It's like my ordered Solo Skiff is planning on getting here for my birthday.
And what day might thay be!! Lol
Old 06-01-2020, 08:18 PM   #45
FISH11

The 16th
Old 06-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #46
Warmshort

Quote:
The 16th
Do you launch that in La Jolla or do you have to use the bay as a launch site? And is it stable in the larger swells? How far do you plan to go offshore with that beast? I know lots of questions just curious.
Warmshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #47
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmshort View Post
Do you launch that in La Jolla or do you have to use the bay as a launch site? And is it stable in the larger swells? How far do you plan to go offshore with that beast? I know lots of questions just curious.

I would say about half a tank out. Or until fish is found. Ohh. And have sea tow Incase you forget how far half way is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #48
FISH11

Quote:
Yes to all. I plan to mostly launch at LJ, because that's were I fish 90% of the time. Sometimes I launch at Dana Landing and once in a while some local lake or Silver Lake. With all the weather I have been out on the Kayak, I've had more bad weather to learn from than all the years I had boats. I don't plan on going out on those higher wind days, cause those wind driven waves are the hardest to navigate. It's main advantage is it's range because those little engines just sip gas. Also it's the advantage in power over paddle or pedals, when needing to maneuver and get out the the way. I think there will be groups of us on Solo's going out to some banks for Tuna and other species.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #49
Warmshort

Quote:
Yes to all. I plan to mostly launch at LJ, because that's were I fish 90% of the time. Sometimes I launch at Dana Landing and once in a while some local lake or Silver Lake. With all the weather I have been out on the Kayak, I've had more bad weather to learn from than all the years I had boats. I don't plan on going out on those higher wind days, cause those wind driven waves are the hardest to navigate. It's main advantage is it's range because those little engines just sip gas. Also it's the advantage in power over paddle or pedals, when needing to maneuver and get out the the way. I think there will be groups of us on Solo's going out to some banks for Tuna and other species.
Impressive O had a small zodiac boat had no problems launching but on the way in flipped with the small outboard pinned as it flipped luckily I walked away unscathed. And damn Tanner Bank is like 75 miles how much for a tow on my PA lol just kidding. On a calm day to the Islands would be fun on that.
Warmshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #50
Baja_Traveler

While you guys are waiting, I've been working on mine. Sunday I installed an HDS 7 touch and transom mounted the transducer on plate stainless from Industrial Metal Supply. Looking forward to fishing with all you new owners when you get set up...

Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:14 AM   #51
NICKWORN

Quote:
Ill launch from LJ on the right days, but i've fished LJ so much, its time to explore the coast line. Im interested in the sand flats (halibut) of IB, PL, and MB(wrecks), and yes the 9mile bank, not Tanner, on a calm day is in the plan. Maybe even the islands with a solid group and good weather. Lobster hooping will be a blast now that Zuniga isnt so far, or so it seemed in a Hobie.

The ease of being able to cover ground while still having that close to the water interaction is what im stoked for!!
Old 06-03-2020, 07:18 AM   #52
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
While you guys are waiting, I've been working on mine. Sunday I installed an HDS 7 touch and transom mounted the transducer on plate stainless from Industrial Metal Supply. Looking forward to fishing with all you new owners when you get set up...

Cant wait!!

Im going to use the H-rail ram mount method on the back grab bar, similar with the steal plates for added depth, but like to be able to fold up since i will be using a bed extender instead of trailer to transport.

Im now thinking about returning my Hook 7 reveal due to the transducer only having high chirp-200htz. I need either the 83 or 50 option for rock fishing or winter time yellows.

The reveal looks to be designed for freshwater settings, 60ft or less type fishing.

Im either going to get the TI or the Simrad Cruise, not sure yet.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:10 AM   #53
Baja_Traveler

Yea, I initially had a Hook 7 on this - and it is designed for fresh water, so really doesn't cut it. Finally buckled down and made the upgrade, but won't be able to use it for several weeks due to a new fence installation at home this weekend.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:56 AM   #54
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Yea, I initially had a Hook 7 on this - and it is designed for fresh water, so really doesn't cut it. Finally buckled down and made the upgrade, but won't be able to use it for several weeks due to a new fence installation at home this weekend.
Just pulled the trigger on a Elite-Ti2 7" with US/CAN navionics maps. Sending the hook reveal back due to it only having the high-chirp option.

Thanks Chris for making me aware of this, seems the hook series is for the freshwater angler, except the Deep water option, but thats over $800 and it seems its just the 50/200mhz transducer, so not sure why so expensive.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:28 PM   #55
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
Just pulled the trigger on a Elite-Ti2 7" with US/CAN navionics maps. Sending the hook reveal back due to it only having the high-chirp option.

Thanks Chris for making me aware of this, seems the hook series is for the freshwater angler, except the Deep water option, but thats over $800 and it seems its just the 50/200mhz transducer, so not sure why so expensive.
Good choice, I love my Elite 7 Ti2!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #56
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Good choice, I love my Elite 7 Ti2!
Thank you sir! And we can always grab the 50/200 transducer later on if needed. I will be taking this thing to the 9 and maybe even the nados weather and friends permitting.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #57
Weso
Junior

Anyone have one near Ventura county

Anyone near Ventura County owning one of these sweet machines? I’m thinking kelp beds out by oil piers. Maybe surfing the base, or run down towards malibu. Doesn’t seem so scary when the highway is In The background. I had no idea about these crafts until this post. I was honestly about to buy a Outback and I’m having second thoughts. Do they come with cf # exc? Thanks
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #58
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weso View Post
Anyone near Ventura County owning one of these sweet machines? I’m thinking kelp beds out by oil piers. Maybe surfing the base, or run down towards malibu. Doesn’t seem so scary when the highway is In The background. I had no idea about these crafts until this post. I was honestly about to buy a Outback and I’m having second thoughts. Do they come with cf # exc? Thanks
I'm not sure about someone owning one up there probably is, but they dont come with CF# you will have to register it.

There's quite a few FB pages that have tons of info:

* SoCal Solo Skiffs (we created this one)
* Official Solo Skiff owners
* West Coast Skiffs
* Solo Skiff Owners of Texas

FYI, OEX has a wait list of over 20 people, so this little skiff is about to become the new "IN".

Old 06-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #59
solyluna

Following
I sold my pa long time ago thinking about the solo skif
Is the Suzuki worth 150 dollars extra? I think it's few # less
Cooler for the fish and for drinks?
Installing a kill bag on top the front will restrict the use of the bait tank? I have seen one with custom aluminum rack over the outboard area with bunch of rod holders mandatory 360 light
solyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #60
cris

For those of you buying one of these and planning to use a trailer and not surf launch, why not a livingston or small aluminium skiff?
cris is offline   Reply With Quote