Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Tournaments > West Coast Whoppers - Archive > West Coast Whoppers 2011

Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

WCW 2011 Rules and Registration

West Coast Whoppers 2011 Rules and Registration

Welcome to West Coast Whoppers

Big change this year is up to 3 fish will be counted in your monthly points. 2 of the same species can not be counted in 1 month, but 1 halibut, 1 white seabass and 1 yellowtail can, with a generous SLAM bonus for submitting all 3 species within 1 month.
You are responsible to know the rules!

WCW is the year long, points based, big fish contest for SoCal kayak anglers targeting yellowtail, white seabass and halibut.

The contest begins April 1st 2011 and ends on March 31st 2012. Anglers may enter the contest at any time during the WCW season.

Entry fee for 2011 is $25 with payouts for top 3 anglers

Rules:

1. All fish must be hooked, fought and landed from a kayak.

2. Fish must be at least TEN pounds to be eligible for submission. The contest is based on the following points system: Base points for a 10 pound fish are:

white seabass 10 points,
yellowtail 20 points, and
halibut 30 points.

Weight above this will count for ONE point per pound added to the base points. This is rounded down so 10.9 is still only 10 pounds. Example: a 20# halibut, 30# yt and 40# wsb will all be worth the same 40 points.

3. 5 bonus points will be added to each submitted fish that is caught on an artificial lure.

4. Fish caught during the Hubbs/WhiteSeabass Tournament and Steve Moyer Memorial Tournament will be eligible for a 10 point bonus.

5. Submissions will be made on the West Coast Whoppers 2011 message board for all contestants to see. Leaderboards will be updated timely and will be viewable by all competitors.

6.Competitors are allowed upgradeable submissions monthly with midnight of the last day of the month as a deadline. You can submit your best of 1 of each of the 3 species. Submitting all 3 species within a single month will be awarded an additional 50 points.

Submission requirements:

Each angler’s submission must be accompanied by one photo of the angler with the fish, preferably on the kayak.

In addition, for each fish submitted, the weight needs to be supported by photo of the fish on a measuring tape showing its total length in inches. The fish must be weighed on an accurate scale. Reported fish weight will be compared to length to verify accuracy. As an alternative, the angler may submit the fish with weight obtained from the certified fish weigh-in station - OEX or other certified weigh-in stations (Dana Landing, Fisherman's Landing, possibly your local tackle shop with certified scale). When submitting a fish with weight obtain from a certified scale, no tape shot picture is required.

Big Water’s Edge encourages the responsible management of our fisheries. The rules of this contest allow for catch and release
fishing. Please do not keep more than you can eat. For current size and bag limits please visit The California DFG website:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/

Payment is required prior to your first caught fish that you submit.

Paypal link will be up shortly

Last edited by WCW Moderator; 03-26-2011 at 01:54 PM.
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3aNonHosted
Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

The list:

1. Iceman
2. Lamb
3. deepdvr
4. Lit-up1
5. GHOSTHUNTR
6. Bellcon
7. Jim Day
8. roadx
9 Old Rookie
10. TRex
11. RK
12. theluckypig
13. Jorluivil
14. Darkhorse
15. Joe Beck
16. sdfisher
17. Regor
18. Andy
19. Sharonkayak
20. Whizz Bang
21. flydigital
22. roby
23. Paintnfish
24. Fishstew

Last edited by WCW Moderator; 06-18-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Lit-up1

WCW

I am sure to come in 4th
Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
GHOSTHUNTR

Could we change entry #5 from Cassie Merrifield to GHOSTHUNTR? Thanks.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
roadx

just donated

thanks andy

Last edited by roadx; 04-02-2011 at 07:27 AM.
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
old_rookie

Some guy by the name of Mike Weber donated for me.
I told him I doubt I'll place, but he insisted.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Moderator View Post
The list:

1. Iceman
2. Lamb
3. deepdvr
4. Lit-up1
5. GHOSTHUNTR
6. Bellcon
7. Jim Day
8. roadx
9 Old Rookie
10. TRex
11. RK
12. theluckypig

Wow!!!! Only 12 entrants and we are halfway through the first month of WCW???

There is some good weather shaping up and we all know that means & are out there for the taking and its only going to improve.

Since you need to be entered before you catch your fish, don't wait. Join in the fun!
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
jorluivil

Just donated.

My wife asked what the donation was for, told her it was part of a world wide initiative to help capture the dreaded Yellow Tailed Oompa-Loompa Tuna fish and its predecessor the Williy Wonka White Sea Bass. She said she was proud of me.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Just donated.

My wife asked what the donation was for, told her it was part of a world wide initiative to help capture the dreaded Yellow Tailed Oompa-Loompa Tuna fish and its predecessor the Williy Wonka White Sea Bass. She said she was proud of me.

Damn....you got a good woman
Old 04-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
THE DARKHORSE

Come on guys---do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Just donated.

I'm proud of you, George, and you haven't even caught one yet (E for effort, though ). Last year someone won who lives in your neck of the woods; so why not you?

Seriously, though, I don't understand the lack of entrants this year. The entry fee is dirt cheap and everyone can use some incentive for more time on the water (great excuse for the wives and significant others ).

A couple of great reasons to play:

#1 It's loads of fun with a microscopic investment. You'd spend that in ten minutes at a bar and forget about it the next day, right?

#2 While some play to win, it really doesn't matter where you place. Well, I digress, it will to whomever is next to you in the ratings. I don't care if you're 25th or 26th, if your friend catches a damn 10 lb Halibut, you watch---you'll be fuming! That next 12 lb Halibut you catch might as well be 50 lbs; you'll be over the freakin' moon (rubbing it in)! You can choose to either play to win the whole shebang or simply beat your friends by one place. Either way, it's loads of fun for practically nothing. Not to mention, I can guarantee that, every fish you catch during the year of the tournament will be more exciting than if you weren't; please stay on, please stay on, please stay on!

#3 In my professional opinion, the biggest reason of all to play is to become a better angler, of course. The more opportunities you get to fish, the more you should learn. Whether you want to learn more about catching Halibut, Yellowtail or White Sea Bass is up to you.

My competitive days are a thing of the past, but If some how, some way, I can scrounge up twenty dollars in change---I might even donate to the Jim Day fund myself. Can I put my $20 on Sharon Kayak? If she gets a pedal kayak---watch out!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

The original idea was to make those moments of excitement every time you see color to be multiplied 10 fold.....that and being a part of something collectively very cool.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
jorluivil

I'm thinking the odds are betting here than in Vegas

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
deepdvr

Look what the cat dragged in

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Moderator View Post
The list:

1. Iceman
2. Lamb
3. deepdvr
4. Lit-up1
5. GHOSTHUNTR
6. Bellcon
7. Jim Day
8. roadx
9 Old Rookie
10. TRex
11. RK
12. theluckypig
13. Jorluivil
14, Darkhorse

'My competitive days are a thing of the past'.........I knew that was some serious

This will be fun...................Can you imagine besting 'The Darkhorse' in a fishing competition???? There is nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
roadx

WHAT! DARKHORSE entered ???

conflict of interest i'll never get my WSB now or he'll make sure it's some sucked up little thing barely legal, oops missed gaffing that fish bigger than his

but i dont think he knows how to catch a halibut?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #16
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post

OH REALLY.....

dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
roadx

the good old days 9/3/07

nice fish
Old 04-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #18
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post

conflict of interest i'll never get my WSB now or he'll make sure it's some sucked up little thing barely legal, oops missed gaffing that fish bigger than his

Roadx,
Here's another one:
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=5642

Caught in Alaska...
but still a nice fish,
so I guess THE DARKHORSE does have some halibut skills...
Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #19
THE DARKHORSE

Well, yeah...kind of...

After all the Yellowtail and White Sea Bass I've caught, this is still my favorite fish and photo. As a matter of fact it's been my screen saver since I caught her. She gave an incredible, trophy fight, and I'll never forget the sight of her at color.

To be quite honest, after catching a few in the forty pound class prior, I was terrified when I saw her below the kayak. All fish look bigger when they're 10' below, but she looked silly at depth. Subconsciously, I think I was hoping she would freak out and buck back to the bottom and cut me off or something. I'll just say I wasn't looking forward to sinking the gaff.

I guess I'm as retired from Halibut fishing as I am from competition. After all, every day you fish is a competition if you asked me; a competition with yourself and all the variables associated with the ocean.

It's a shame Halibut don't put up much of a fight; until they're huge that is. Well, at least while they're on the line anyway. I don't think it's a secret; I'd much rather catch White Sea Bass and Yellowtail.

I just want to get nervous when I see a fish at color again---like old times. Let the games begin!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #20
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I just want to get nervous when I see a fish at color again---like old times.
It sure does intensify that flow of adrenalin! Who is next!!! If you like the idea of WCW being around next year ............sign up for this year!