Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
james92026

landing net requirement

Having read the reg stating the requirement for a landing net, and noting the prices for Promar, I spotted a cheap one at Big 5 for only $9.95 which is compact, yet 24 inches wide. I doubt if I be using one, but for purposes of satisifying the reg, I guess it will do. I am guessing the promars have a tighter mesh and may be more fish friendly. OTOH, I may in time get one of the plasticized ones for around $40
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
jorluivil

The Promar net has a rubber coating so it prevents the hooks from getting jammed inside the fibers that make up the webbing. A hook will still get tangled within the webbing but the barbs of the hook will not get hung up or tangle within the fibers like they do with most nets. I used a regular net for about a year, can't tell you how many times I got frustrated when the barbs got hung up in the fibers, sometimes I had to bend the barb to get the hook out or cut the net. The Promar isn't cheap but its worth every penny.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
GregAndrew

I carry the Promar colapseable net to meet the regs, but have never used it for a fish. It is worth the money to keep the thing stowed and out of the way. It is either lip gripper, gaff, pliers or thumb for me.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I carry the Promar colapseable net to meet the regs, but have never used it for a fish. It is worth the money to keep the thing stowed and out of the way. It is either lip gripper, gaff, pliers or thumb for me.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
james92026

seems though we just had this "manly thumb post" a short while back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Old 12-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by james92026 View Post
Having read the reg stating the requirement for a landing net, and noting the prices for Promar, I spotted a cheap one at Big 5 for only $9.95 which is compact, yet 24 inches wide. I doubt if I be using one....

The landing net reg is really designed for boats. The idea being when you're up off the water there is no way to measure a fish in the water. So you need a net to bring smaller fish that are close to the legal size up for measuring, and with a net you can release shorts safely.

Technically the reg specifies a landing net with a opening of no less then 18 inches in diameter, but like the old hoopnet regs it does not specify the nets construction.

When I first got into kayaking I had a discussion with a DFG warden I knew about this. He said that any net with an eighteen inch opening in your possession would be considered a landing net.

What I did was take an old broken 26 inch diameter net, cut the frame out of it and then I threaded a cord through loops and made it into a net/drawstring net bag. Since it has no frame it stores easy under the deck and at the end of the day I can use it as a catch bag to carry my fish. I suppose in theory I could net a fish with it, but at any rate it technically meets the DFG definition and I just keep it wadded up stored below my deck in the front hatch.

I always get a chuckle when I see guys with huge nets stuck up out of their poleholders while fishing kayaks. They don't really need them, and personally I wouldn't want a big net sticking up acting like a sail in the wind or tangling up with stuff. I like to keep a minimal amount of gear above deck. Just less to go wrong if conditions go bad or if you hook something challenging.

Generally the net rule is not enforced when it comes to kayaks, because Duh!!! we are right on the water. I've personally never been asked to produce a net, but it's nice to know my net is in my possession, and according to my buddy with the DFG it would meet the regs if I was asked to produce a net.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
james92026

and therefore my original thought about getting the cheapo for regs sake, but OTOH, in the event i do have an occasion to use one, prolly less frustrating to use a rubber coated promar.

Quote:
Old 12-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
james92026

yup, I got a few "home made" items that should suit my purposes, I made rod leashes, kelp clip,lip grippers, game clips, paddle keepers out of whatever materials lay around i.e. coat hangars, phone cords, plastic clamps (work better than the cord clips at Home Depot).

Quote:
Old 12-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Quote:
....in the event i do have an occasion to use one, prolly less frustrating to use a rubber coated promar.
If your actually going to use a net for fish especially if your going to use one on halibut you should choose a small mesh or knotless landing net made out of a smooth non abrasive material. Nets with a large mesh will split the tails of halibut which leads to infection and often kills them. Nets with knots or rough twine scrape the slime and scales off halibut and lead to infection as well.

So if your going to actually use one get a good one. If your just going to stick it in your yak for reg purposes anything with a 18 inch diameter opening will do.

Jim
Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
sasha

As i understand it, Correct me if im wrong but you DON'T need the net within easy reach to comply with the rules.......... I always thought that i needed it within reach.. I never used it, Well part of it is that i dont catch anything big enough . It always gets in my way.. One less thing to fiddle with when fishing.

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
james92026

doesn't exactly say easy reach, but immediately available

No person shall take finfish from any boat or other floating device in ocean waters without having a landing net in possession or available for immediate use to assist in landing undersize fish of species having minimum size limits; the opening of any such landing net shall be not less than eighteen inches in diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
As i understand it, Correct me if im wrong but you DON'T need the net within easy reach to comply with the rules.......... I always thought that i needed it within reach.. I never used it, Well part of it is that i dont catch anything big enough . It always gets in my way.. One less thing to fiddle with when fishing.

Sasha
Old 12-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
doesn't exactly say easy reach, but immediately available

No person shall take finfish from any boat or other floating device in ocean waters without having a landing net in possession or available for immediate use to assist in landing undersize fish of species having minimum size limits; the opening of any such landing net shall be not less than eighteen inches in diameter.
Sometimes research can provide you with legitimate answers that contradict the illegitimate information that others may provide. Last I checked a kayak is a floating device. Good research!!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
maui jim

I got a minnow net for those biting squid basturds... I hate when they grab ya and try to take your fingers off....
Old 12-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
lbsurf2ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
I got a minnow net for those biting squid basturds... I hate when they grab ya and try to take your fingers off....
lol, they are mean little f@#$er's. I hate it when they grab me.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
Fiskadoro

Quote:
doesn't exactly say easy reach, but immediately available...
Quote:
Yep that is the reg.

You have to use some common sense with these things.

Like I said when they came up with that reg it was designed for boats (if I remember correctly sportboats) where people were up off the water. In the old days sportboats didn't carry nets only gaffs. So that reg forced them to carry nets for releasing small fish.

Kayaks tubes and other floating devices are considered the same as boats as far as the reg is concerned so we technically have to have a landing net in possession or available for immediate use.

The only net specification for the net is that the net has to have an opening 18 inches in diameter. It doesn't say that the net has to have a rigid frame, or a pole, a handle, or hoop structure, it just has to have the right sized opening. So according to my buddy at the DFG it can legally be a bag type net like I carry.

Any net anywhere on your kayak even under the deck is obviously in your possession, and since they are always right there at arms length even nets below the deck are available for use. In comparison most private boaters keep thier nets tied down under a gunnel or in in thier cabins.

So basically any kind of net with an opening of more then 18 inches anywhere on or in your kayak is going to meet the reg. If a warden asks you about your net all you have to do is produce one and you are good.

Believe it or not wardens for the most part are not idiots. They know damn well that kayakers don't need the nets, even though by law we are required to carry them. Personally I do not know of anyone who has been cited for not having I net while kayaking in California, or even fishing a boat in California, but I still carry a net under deck in order to meet the regs minimum requirement if asked about it.

Jim
Old 12-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Sometimes research can provide you with legitimate answers that contradict the illegitimate information that others may provide. Last I checked a kayak is a floating device. Good research!!
Yep last I checked my kayak floated as well. I think that's kinda the idea

I don't think Sasha was questioning the fact that kayaks float or that they have to according to the law carry nets.

He was just trying to figure out if it had to be in "Easy Reach" or out on deck.

The law states that the "landing net in possession or available for immediate use"

Note that that's an "or" not an "and"

Anything on or in your kayak is in your possession. Even if you find a Warden that's anal enough to check for a nets, I certainly do not think that a warden is going to cite anyone for having their net in a hatch or not having their net on deck.

Jim
Old 12-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #17
sasha

Thats alot of intresting info. I dont like to take chances so i guess if i tie it up all the way in the back of the kayak it would still be out of my way... But i like the idea of making a sort of a bag that opens up.. There is always more to learn.. A citation can cost you about same price as buying a nice FF.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

You'll do less damage to the fish with a rubber net, the rope-type are notorious for splitting halibut fins...so not only are they a pain to unhook, they're also detrimental to the health of the small butts were hoping to catch again down the road.

Save a halibut!
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #19
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i just got this one from sports chalet today.

http://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Foldin.../dp/B0030S7E6C

folds up nice and compact to sit in the milk crate out of the way and quickly unfolds for use.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:09 AM   #20
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Yep last I checked my kayak floated as well. I think that's kinda the idea

I don't think Sasha was questioning the fact that kayaks float or that they have to according to the law carry nets.

He was just trying to figure out if it had to be in "Easy Reach" or out on deck.

The law states that the "landing net in possession or available for immediate use"

Note that that's an "or" not an "and"

Anything on or in your kayak is in your possession. Even if you find a Warden that's anal enough to check for a nets, I certainly do not think that a warden is going to cite anyone for having their net in a hatch or not having their net on deck.

Jim
True but these days I would prefer to not wait and find out, I can't afford to play the 'what if' game.