Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Please be careful kayak fishing in 25 mph Santa Ana conditions.

A few years ago, a fellow kayaker was seperated from the kayak in La Jolla during these dangerous conditions and almost drowned. This lucky person was found clinging to a lobster float for dear life . Obviously freezing from the cold water, with borderline hypothermia, the question of how much longer can you hold onto that rope comes to mind? With the possibility of tragedy looming over head in these dangerous windy conditions, and at times ample warning from the local weather bureau, why take the risk?

Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm all about "safety first" , and I would like to simply remind people to be very careful whenever the possibility of Santa Ana conditions present themselves. Fishing off a man powered piece of plastic is all fun and games until 30 mph offshore winds make you the top story on the evening news. Try to be aware of changing weather conditions, check your marine radio often, and more than anything stay alert.

Above all else, make sure to take every precaution whenever you decide to make a long cast with a piece of iron attached.

YOU MIGHT GET PULLED OFF THE KAYAK!

Even though my friends on the "fish list" can't comprehend catch and release (you let it go ), it was nice watching Yellowtail number two swim off to fight another day.