Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
Beer Me
Take two

Feel Like Giving Up

Good morning everyone. I’ve had my PA14 since April. I’ve taken it out about once every 3 weeks or so depending on schedule and conditions.

Besides being on a cattle boat or surf fishing, I have zero experience on a kayak fishing in saltwater.

I mainly go out of Channel Islands harbor, go to the break wall and beyond, head south to Hueneme and north to Ventura. My fish total on the kayak is a small mac I called bait, and lucked out on a short halibut trolling a HUB.

I’ve had bites but noncommittal fish. I’ve changed baits, techniques (if that’s what you call it) but I can’t get fish. The reports are there, and I’m following other fishermen on apps to see what’s happening.

I fish alone and have nobody to go out and show me the ropes, what works and or just get together and talk. Roscoe and I almost met up once but it didn’t work out.

I hit the water yesterday at 6:30 and hit both sides of the break wall outside the harbor then pedaled south past Hueneme and almost to Point Magu, headed back and repeated the process. It was a lot of work for a 50 yo but just being on the water makes it worth it.

After I got home and finished cleaning and watering everything down, the doubts hit me again whether I should keep doing this or go back to shore fishing.

It’s a tough sport to learn from reading reports and techniques from YouTube.

I’d like to try other spots to launch but the PA14 is too much for me to get over rocks at or local spots (Mussel Shoals/Rincon Island as well as Leo Carrillo. Maybe a secondary yak that’s lighter for this reason? That still won’t catch me fish.

Are there any individuals who would allow me to come down from Camarillo and fish for a day? I’ll get a room if necessary the night before. I just need hands on and face to face interaction.

Any help is appreciated. The frustration and disappointment is overriding the zen of being on the water.

I’m not afraid of launching/landing from the beach if necessary.

Lance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote