Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
jdvarnold

Too much wind

How windy is too windy to go out?

I never paid much attention to it, but when I went two weeks about wind was about 15-20knts and it took us an hour to go what should have taken 15 minutes. I am going out of Newport Saturday and it says wind between 4-6knts and trying to figure out if that is too much or just average fro SoCal.
jdvarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
DanaPT

11 mph is rough fishing and my limits on cause it just isn't enjoyable.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
11 mph is rough fishing and my limits on cause it just isn't enjoyable.
+1

anytime I even think about going out I peek at the wind forecasts about a week in advance.. They are generally accurate.. if you see that 9, 10, 11 knot forecast, take a deeper look.. Up north that seems to be the norm daily but, that 10 knot wind does not pick up till around noon and blow till 2 so you can smash the early morning and afternoon bite... Plan it right and you can ride the tail winds back in to launch

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
Saba Slayer

about 10mph...

I usually get forced off the water most afternoons when the wind gets up to about 10mph...when it's not fun it's over for me...
WINDY is a good place to go to get some forecasts on the wind and conditions... https://www.windy.com/?33.773,-118.340,5
Weather Underground is pretty accurate too with both the 10 day and hourly forecasts...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
jorluivil

fishing is supposed to be fun so if you have to ask than its probably not safe. Much like the others, anything close to or above 10 mph is uncomfortable. At 10 mph you start seeing whitecaps and depending on your heading you start getting wet, even on a hot summer day getting wet sucks.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
jdvarnold

So windy says it’s about 4 knts in the am heading north to south which is good since we’re going about a mile south. Wind picks up around noon to 8knts and we’re paddling against it. Is that going to be doable?
jdvarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
FISH11

I agree on about 10 knots, anything higher and it's just not fun with either the small white caps hitting from all different angles. The worse is when even knowing the wind and current will be against you on the way back. You choose to do it anyway and spend 3 hours fighting both to get back to the landing 3 miles away at a GPS speed of .6 MPH when normally you would be able to do 3 MPH without pushing hard. Can't even rest because in 5 minutes of drifting it take 20 minutes pedaling or paddling to get back to the same pot. Been there a few times, It's a Bitch!
Old 11-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #8
jrip
Water dog

It helps if you can paddle uphill when the wind is light. At the end of the day, the wind helps drive you back. I'm seventy-one and headwinds are tough.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
AlwaysFishing

I would like to go out too if you don't mind. Looking at MagicSeaWeed, the swells is small between 17 & 18 seconds, but the wind is around 8-9 at noon and 11-13 by 3pm. Sunday see less wind and the swell seems manageable.

Newport_111619.jpg
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:56 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvarnold View Post
So windy says it’s about 4 knts in the am heading north to south which is good since we’re going about a mile south. Wind picks up around noon to 8knts and we’re paddling against it. Is that going to be doable?

If you're only going 1 mile in 4 mph wind it is very doable. If I could get 4 mph each and every time that I went out I would love it; set my rods out, lean the seat back and take a nap.................that's my kind of fishing.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:57 AM   #11
PapaDave

If you're using Windy, check the wind waves as well as the wind speed. It's a sub category of waves. That can be a better way to check it out. My experience is that anything up to 1 foot wind waves is good but over that and you will get pushed around a lot. However, do pay attention to the wind direction, depending on the direction you might be fine with a stronger wind. Such as off shore versus on shore, from the north east or southeast. Is the area you'll be in protected from the general direction of the wind... that sort of thing.