Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 05:34 AM   #1
CALICOBOB
Junior

Fish finder feedback

All, new to kayak fishing just go PA 14 and looking to outfit with fish finder. Fishing freshwater and ocean. Thinking 5" lowrance not sure what model.

Any help greatly apppreciated!
CALICOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
MaskedFisherDude

Do you have any experience with Lowrance and what’s your budget? Are you wanting a GPS unit? I personally would not go any smaller than 5”. I’ve heard good things about the hook 2 series as they are easy to work with. I have an elite 5 and a HDS 7 that I really like.
MaskedFisherDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #3
Denis_Ruso

Hey Bob,

Some additional information such as price point would help us guide you in the right direction. Also what depths you will be fishing most.

I agree with the above comment of at least a 5" screen.

The go to fish finder for most Seems to be the Lowrance 5/7. Which makes sense as the Hobie come with the Lowrance ready slot for the transducer. Most of the guys shy away from touchscreens as they get hard to see after wet hands.

I think at this point the only option Lowrance gives you is the Hook2. I would focus more on what transducers are available for it. Different transducers will determine if your fish finder works better in shallow water or deeper water.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
CALICOBOB
Junior

Fish Finder help

Budget up to $700. Would like to be able to view in split screen mode. Fishing La Jolla or deeper is a concern. Heard hook2 can be a challenge with that. Not familiar with what different transducers do?
Old 05-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
crashcrow

I'm still happy with the Garmin Striker 4 for LJ. The GPS is old school with no maps but I don't have a problem after putting my go to spots in it. They are around 100 bucks and I like it better than my Lowrance Elite 5.

Mike
crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALICOBOB View Post
Budget up to $700. Would like to be able to view in split screen mode. Fishing La Jolla or deeper is a concern. Heard hook2 can be a challenge with that. Not familiar with what different transducers do?
Well you have your fish finder screen and then you have the transducer which is what shoots and receives the signal into the water. The transducer can shoot different frequencies and different frequencies are better for different depths. There's a few good explanations on here if you use the search function on the different transducers.

That's a pretty solid budget. Just have to decide whether you want a 5" or 7" screen.

I think all units 5" and up have the split screen capability. I highly recommend getting the unit with GPS. Great for marking your spots and navigating in the fog.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
DavidT

Quote:
Not familiar with what different transducers do?
The first 378 pages drag on a bit...
http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo...ta-catalog.pdf

The plot picks up more towards the end.
DavidT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #8
MaskedFisherDude

Quote:
Then you’ll definitely want a 7” if you’d like to see anything on split screen. I usually run my 7” in spilt or traditional, DownScan and sidescan. Could you see the Hook2 in person?
MaskedFisherDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #9
CALICOBOB
Junior

Saw the hook2 5 split shot that one would think you could view 2 images at a time "not" which is a little misleading. I believe the elite 5 and 7 can be viewed that way. I would think seeing bottom contours on a topo would be a huge plus if you've never fished a spot before.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
FISH11

Check out the Lowrance Elite 7 TI with the downscan transponder if you spend an additional $100 you can get the one with the Totalscan transducer. Touch screen 2D and 3D charts and the screen can be configured to split in multiple selections. The 5 TI is a couple hundred less but it's not the same but smaller. Had a 5 and it had problems after 5 months so I returned it and using the warranty and paying the difference I upgraded to the 7 TI, 18 months old and it works like new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5512.jpg (42.7 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 05-18-2018 at 07:22 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

Hook2 5 Splitshot does come with split screen set up with broadband and downscan split screen. Click "pages"To create broadband and chart plotter just use the add page button on far right lower corner and add and save.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #12
Fishin Phil

Fish Finder

Enlarged view of picture
Previous

West Marine on sale right now. Get the extended warranty.

LOWRANCE HOOK² 7 Fishfinder/Chartplotter Combo with TripleShot Transducer and US Coastal Charts
Rated 4.76 out of 5 stars
33 ReviewsWrite a Review

6Answered QuestionsAsk a Question

$574.99
11% Off - Ends 05/28/18 Regular $649.99

Last edited by Fishin Phil; 05-19-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: correction
Fishin Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #13
CALICOBOB
Junior

All, thanks for the help on this!