Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2021, 07:01 PM   #1
GregAndrew

LJ was a bit cranky today

I did not like the forecast wind for today, so I slept in a bit. Got to the launch about 7am and the surf was up pretty good for LJ. Wind was down at the launch anyway. Getting out to the Reserve line you could see the line in the water where the North wind was blowing. Still manageable at 5-10mph, I continued out. Then about 9am, the East wind switched on at probably 10-15 with gusts above that. In just a few minutes there were whitecaps moving almost straight West. Took me about 1.25 hours to paddle back to the launch in that crap. Only to find that the surf, at least the set waves, were even bigger. This waves and wind on the weekends is starting to cramp my style and my legs, and my arms and my fingers.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:10 PM   #2
FISH11

Hey Greg, sound a lot like the weather that came up that day last year when i was down near Wind N Sea and it got real snotty. I posted a unedited version of the mess that day on my utube channel like a day ago. Todd aka Tunaseeker was also there that day in his PA14. I even commented on the video while video recording it about what a bitch it would be to be on a Kayak. I had the advantage of the outboard and the only problem was the faster you went the wetter you got. Hey, see any whales out there, I heard a story, without much details. Glad you made it back OK. Here is a link to the unedited video if anybody is interested. . https://youtu.be/LchFXAFk5mM

Last edited by FISH11; 02-21-2021 at 10:17 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #3
Salty

Thanks for the report. That sounds rough, good on you for trying still. I was planning to hit LJ on Sunday, but as the weekend got closer, the surf forecast bumped up to a short-period 4-5' and the wind forecast got ugly. I said F that and stayed in and around DP Harbor instead.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
FullFlavorPike

Seems like every weekend has been blowing and every weekday sweet and calm lately...at least based on the the view from my office window lol
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
In just a few minutes there were whitecaps moving almost straight West. Took me about 1.25 hours to paddle back to the launch in that crap. Only to find that the surf, at least the set waves, were even bigger. This waves and wind on the weekends is starting to cramp my style and my legs, and my arms and my fingers.
Frustrating, at least you made a try of it. I hate when the wind is blowing away from land. If propulsion fails one can be far offshore fast. On the East coast, we have a saying, wind from the West, better to stay home and rest. It has a ring to it, and for our area, the offshore wind blows bait out of kayak range so it has some truth to it. The reality is we fish when we can.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:16 AM   #6
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

It's crazy how fast the wind can ruin the day 👎🏻
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:23 AM   #7
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Hey Greg, sound a lot like the weather that came up that day last year when i was down near Wind N Sea and it got real snotty. I posted a unedited version of the mess that day on my utube channel like a day ago. Todd aka Tunaseeker was also there that day in his PA14. I even commented on the video while video recording it about what a bitch it would be to be on a Kayak. I had the advantage of the outboard and the only problem was the faster you went the wetter you got. Hey, see any whales out there, I heard a story, without much details. Glad you made it back OK. Here is a link to the unedited video if anybody is interested. . https://youtu.be/LchFXAFk5mM
Details to come when the story has concluded.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote