Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
momo fish

Anyone going out sunday?

HI,

Want to fish malibu again or even LJ if someone is ok if I tag along and learn.. im just excited to go out and fish. Would love to catch first yellow or even seabass bit if not happy anyhow just to be in open ocean and paddling..

If your going out PM me your number and and área heading out... Thanks
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

a boat with 3 guys capsized today out in la jolla. that's keeping me land-locked for as long as these winds are around. be careful out there, wear your PFD, and pack light.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
GregAndrew

Tomorrow is not a good day to be going out in Malibu for most. Wind is expected to be up pretty good.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
momo fish

Darn. Its tue only day I can yet on water. I will check conditions and may just go to Harbor and stay inside. Any recommendations of good harbor to fish or should I just stay home and watch reruns of wicked tuna...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Tomorrow is not a good day to be going out in Malibu for most. Wind is expected to be up pretty good.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
sasha

My dad was not far from Malibu today and he said the wind would be blow very hard every once in a while... I would rather not be there with a gust of wind blows out of no where. In Chatsworth mom said the wind would blow hard enought that you can feel the car shake standing at the light.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
momo fish

ok that's enough for me not to go out alone in malibu.. Was in santa barbera today with kids at beach and very little wind and seemed like great conditions to launch kayak..

can I assume that it will be windy conditions up there as well? Not to comfortable yet relying on forecast and what is considered unsafe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
My dad was not far from Malibu today and he said the wind would be blow very hard every once in a while... I would rather not be there with a gust of wind blows out of no where. In Chatsworth mom said the wind would blow hard enought that you can feel the car shake standing at the light.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I finally picked up my Outback from Andy @OEX Sunset Beach . Took it around the harbor for a spin, it was late afternoon. I turned up a channel that lead towards a PCH bridge, I was peddling into a headwind that must have been at least 20+ knots. It was only about a 1/2 mi. straight into an onshore wind and an incoming tide. It was hard to keep the yak straight each gust that blew a little sideways kept turning my yak. Was going to head outside but when I reached the bridge I though better of it & turned around and decided that I had had enough, pulled a 180 headed back to OEX. I hadn't realized I had extend that much energy fighting the wind and tide. when I landed I got out of my yak and collapsed . My legs were sooo burnt out I couldn't even stand!!! Fortunately the guys from OEX were packing up the rentals that had been coming in, saw that I was in a little distress and transported and helped me load my yak onto the top of my Escape. OEX!!! Even after an hour and a half drive home my legs were still really weak. As I write this I just got finished applying some Rx anti-inflammatory and pain creams. Boy...can't wait for tomorrow morning to see how I feel!
Will definitely remember this day for awhile. I can't even imagine PADDLING into a wind like today, it's no wonder so many of you guys have shoulder problems! I did a little paddling also just to see how it felt to paddle an Outback. Of course I did this on the way back on the downwind side.
Wouldn't even consider going out with tomorrows forecast!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

Fished Redondo today. It was actually a very nice day weather wise. It picked up after noon.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
momo fish

good to hear.. Just waiting for guys to post that everthing was biting and wind was low.... I looked outside window all day and not a leaf was blown.. Then s
again the ocean can be different... I'm going out next saturday if anyone is interested..

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Fished Redondo today. It was actually a very nice day weather wise. It picked up after noon.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
sasha

Funny thing is that you can be 20 miles away and the wind would be none existent. You pack the yak go to Malibu just to find that the waves are chest high white caps as far as you can see standing on top of the hill. Then the ego says hey that only wimps go back. So I get the the yak to the water all loaded up and standing there trying to time the waves. There was no way as they came from two diffrent direction. With every once in a while a huge wave would roll to shore. Then two surfers came to shore saying that its just not fun anymore. I just packed up and left. Happend last year. When ever they mention wind guests in Malibu area I just rather go hiking.
I learned that wind in Malibu can get very nasty. It tends to build waves that my guess only, Are about 45deg to the normal swell. So you get hit from two fronts, You feel like you are in a washing machine and that makes me sea sick and then being sea sick on a kayak makes me want to die.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote