Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
CrazzyGar

King Harbor Lobster Hooping Out of Bonds!?

Does anyone know the real open areas to Lobster Hoop @ King Harbor? I have Hoop there for years on the West jetty on the outside.

Just for the heck of it I have tried infront of the big horse shoe pier. Got chased off by harbor patrol. Said I was to close to the smal East jetty so I moved.

A few weeks later I tried south end of the horse shoe pier. Way far from the east jetty. Again got chased off.

I was no where near the shipping lane.

Both times I got chased away I got 2 different
interpretations where I could hoop.

Just wondering if there is a map that shows the shipping lane or where I can hoop besides the west wall.
CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Comanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazzyGar View Post
Does anyone know the real open areas to Lobster Hoop @ King Harbor? I have Hoop there for years on the West jetty on the outside.

Just for the heck of it I have tried infront of the big horse shoe pier. Got chased off by harbor patrol. Said I was to close to the smal East jetty so I moved.

A few weeks later I tried south end of the horse shoe pier. Way far from the east jetty. Again got chased off.

I was no where near the shipping lane.

Both times I got chased away I got 2 different
interpretations where I could hoop.

Just wondering if there is a map that shows the shipping lane or where I can hoop besides the west wall.

Just call them and ask.

I did last week they were very nice and understanding. They took the time to answer every question I had and infromed me of things I didnt think to ask.

And always get a badge number as proof of valid information.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

the only time they questioned me was when I put a trap inside the green buoy, but my float, floated across the green buoy. They just told me to place it inside the green buoy.

what's the horse shoe thing you're talking about?

btw, they're almost out of bugs at the moment. last two trips I had was only a few shorts per trip.

The opening day, I had limits of legals within the first set of pulls. The second weekend, I had limits within two sets of pulls.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Comanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR6RR View Post
the only time they questioned me was when I put a trap inside the green buoy, but my float, floated across the green buoy. They just told me to place it inside the green buoy.

what's the horse shoe thing you're talking about?

btw, they're almost out of bugs at the moment. last two trips I had was only a few shorts per trip.

The opening day, I had limits of legals within the first set of pulls. The second weekend, I had limits within two sets of pulls.

The big pier is the horse shoe
Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

ahh, I get it now. haven't hooped anywhere near there.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
CrazzyGar

Thx guys!!!! I just hate getting in trouble with HP. Like I said...hooped near the horse-shoe pier several times & was told differnt things by the different HP.
But, when I didn't get pushed out....I limited in 1 set...with the average size being 4 to 6 lbs & the biggest was 11.25 lbs.
Guess I'll just keep moving down the beach from the pier.
Thx again.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

They still have s left I must go out this week and see what I can find....
Old 11-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Comanche

You hoop outside or inside the wall? I was thinking about making trip out there soon.

Hows hooping inside the wall been?

I plan on using king harbor as a test bed for hooping off of kayak before making it out to open sea since I have mini x
Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
You hoop outside or inside the wall? I was thinking about making trip out there soon.

Hows hooping inside the wall been?

I plan on using king harbor as a test bed for hooping off of kayak before making it out to open sea since I have mini x

I drop one hoop inside the green buoy and then I drop my other sets outside the wall.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
CrazzyGar

I hoop outside the West Break Wall. But not to close....I have always had better luck getting big Bugs away from the Break Wall. But when I hooped the Horse Shoe Pier I have done well...that is if I don't get chased off by HP.
There is a underwater canyon that ends @ the pier...goes from 40ish foot of water to over 200 fast.
The bugs in the canyon come out to feed @ the pier.
That's just what I'm guessing. Only thing that makes sence why they are all over legal size.
Hope this helps you all. Hope 2 C U out there 2nite!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Fiskadoro

Not to give you a hard time but just a heads up.

Compared to other breakwalls like Long beach MDR or Dana, King Harbor is a small area to hoop, it can get really crowded really fast, and you can only hoop certain areas.

If you post a lot of info about it don't be surprised if you start seeing a lot more people there, and the more hoopers that work it, the more uptight the harbor patrol is going to get.

Whatever you do: do not hoop around the harbor entrance especially on the inside of the outer breakwall. The entrance is very narrow by boating standards and the surge will push your floats right out into the part of the channel all the boats use as they turn the corner.

The reason they are telling to stay away from the big horseshoe pier is because hooping there is incredibly dangerous. If a boat catches one of your ropes in their prop and stalls they are going to end up smashing right into the pier. Like people could die and you'd be liable. Pretty much everything from the main pier to the harbor entrance on the shore side is off limits for this reason.

In fact the deal with Redondo is except for the West outside and inside in the middle almost the whole harbor is a high traffic boat area and if things go wrong there's not a lot of space for error. If there's one person hooping the harbor patrol might let things slide, for a while but if you get a lot of guys hooping in areas that might impeded boat traffic or create a dangerous situation for the boats they will crack down for safety reasons. They could care less about hoop netting, to them its all about protecting the boats that use that harbor, that's their job. That's why the harbor patrol is uptight, that's why they are going to ask for you to show your PFDs, a flashlight, and tell you to move if you hoop in front of the piers, or if they think your activities will interfere with boat traffic in any way.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 11-08-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote