Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-29-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
Johnny Hirn

Help choosing new yak

Hi everybody. I am looking to upgrade kayaks and I have narrowed it down to the Trident 13/15 and the prowler trident. I would be using it for mainly offshore fishing from kelp beds to fishing offshore for yellows and whatever else shows up. My problem is that i cant tell the difference between these two. Which do you think would be better? Are there certain year differeances with quality? Sorry to bother but i have looked all over the web and haven't found the answer i need.
Tight lines,
Johnny

Also I just saw the 4.7 and 4.3 series. Where do those fall in?
Hopefully maybe you guys have tried some if not all of these models and cant lend a hand.
Johnny Hirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:45 PM   #2
TJones

I know a little something about them

Currently I own a 2016 ultra 4.3 and 2017 trident 15. Nothing really bad to say about the Trident until I get it on land. I opted for the 15 because of weight capacity. If I wasn't using a bait tank and a f/f than a 13 might have been sufficient. Ohhh, one thing I did not like was transducer mounting bay on bottom of trident. Anyways, it's midnight and I'm gonna have to make this quick. I will be able to give more details later.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Look at the Kraken, it has a comfortable seat!
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

I think when the Trident was first introduced it was labeled as the "Prowler Trident" and eventually removed. The "Prowler" is a sleeker version, Tridents have more volume and rigging add ons, rod pod on the Trident is a big upgrade over the Prowler.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
TJones

The new trident

Has removable trays in the center of the kayak which allows for easy storage of rods and dry gear. The Ultra in not cut out in center like trident and storage has to take place through the large front hatch at bow. The Ultra is also is built around the Hummingbird Helix 5 which is a phenomenal fish finder for kayak general use. The transducer bay on the bottom allows for perfect and easy retrofitting of the side scan transducer when the Ocean Kayak transducer mounting kit is used. No muss, no fuss. The bottom of the kayak is cut away at sides to allow clear view for side scan operation. Probably the only kayak on market that allows for this. Needless to say, Johnson Outdoors is the Parent Company and the two "Are Sleeping Together ". Oddly enough the side scan transducer took some modifying to get it in place appropriately on the new Trident. The New Trident als has a few different mounting options, some of which almost seem outdated. There is a cut out allowing for a through hull transducer. A traditional 83 kHz if I am not mistaken. It's almost as if the took a step back in technology. Hardcore kayak fisherman want the newest and greatest technology they can get in a small light weight package and why would they make something useful or practical like allowing for a Lowrance Total Scan transducer to bolt up? That would be shameful? Anyways, fell free to hit me up. I could give you more details if you are still interested?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Johnny Hirn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Has removable trays in the center of the kayak which allows for easy storage of rods and dry gear. The Ultra in not cut out in center like trident and storage has to take place through the large front hatch at bow. The Ultra is also is built around the Hummingbird Helix 5 which is a phenomenal fish finder for kayak general use. The transducer bay on the bottom allows for perfect and easy retrofitting of the side scan transducer when the Ocean Kayak transducer mounting kit is used. No muss, no fuss. The bottom of the kayak is cut away at sides to allow clear view for side scan operation. Probably the only kayak on market that allows for this. Needless to say, Johnson Outdoors is the Parent Company and the two "Are Sleeping Together ". Oddly enough the side scan transducer took some modifying to get it in place appropriately on the new Trident. The New Trident als has a few different mounting options, some of which almost seem outdated. There is a cut out allowing for a through hull transducer. A traditional 83 kHz if I am not mistaken. It's almost as if the took a step back in technology. Hardcore kayak fisherman want the newest and greatest technology they can get in a small light weight package and why would they make something useful or practical like allowing for a Lowrance Total Scan transducer to bolt up? That would be shameful? Anyways, fell free to hit me up. I could give you more details if you are still interested?
Thank you for the help!
Old 09-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #7
Johnny Hirn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I think when the Trident was first introduced it was labeled as the "Prowler Trident" and eventually removed. The "Prowler" is a sleeker version, Tridents have more volume and rigging add ons, rod pod on the Trident is a big upgrade over the Prowler.
Ohhh. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification