Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
kayakfisherman

Mako Bob Qs:

Thanks Bob, for trusting me with your belly!!

Q1: Mild Mexican spices for delicate fish? Bob, Zafron, and Turmeric are used in Mexican cuisine a lot. Not so much for their flavor, especially since they are not strong, but for their color. Both add a brilliant yellowish orange to your fish and are packed with health benefits. Favorite Recipes for mild fish? Create a dry rub using one part salt, one part pepper, and one part 50-50 zafron/turmeric. Rub your fish, then grill it. Squeeze lemon before eating.

Q2: How much cooking time is required for thin fillets? Not much. Here's the general rule of thumb. Cook the first side until the color you want is achieved,
then flip the fillet over and only cook it for half the time the first side took. Cooking the fillet for equal times on both side is a big mistake. Cooking is trial and error. Don't be afraid to screw up, once or twice. But learn as you go.

Q3: Sierras? Love fighting them on light tackle, love eating them too. Sierras are mild flakey fish. They make a great ceviche, or baked and/or fried with bread crumbs (to lock in the juices).
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
captnblood34

Thanks again
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
kayakfisherman

Mr JB

First off Big John, congrats on that Dana Point Yellow!! Them are hard to come by, I know.

Q: How to fillet a yellowtail? John, I don't have a video showing that. But, I realize I need to. I will fillet one up. Just as a general How To. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Last edited by kayakfisherman; 09-26-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
kayakfisherman

Dave

congrats on figuring out Kayak Fishing is King!! Get your butt out of the bay and into La Jolla's waters asap. This insane fishing won't last forever. Just ck the surf reports and go out when the surf is less than 3ft. And if the surf is from the south, don't even worry about it since the launch is sheltered from the south swells.

I hoped you enjoyed your pan roasted rockfish. It's really a fun way to eat fish.
Figure out a way of incorporating some golden brown color into your old bay seasoning. Maybe add some Paprika. That will add just the right amount of needed color.

Q1: Sheephead? This fish is tricky because it can easily be under cooked. It takes a longer cooking period, but still stays juicy. Steaming sheephead makes for a perfect afternoon salad. My favorite.

Steam the whole sheephead, allow it to cool, then flake its meat off the bone. Chill in the refrigerator, then add to a well dressed salad. You'll think you're eating flakes of lobster. Especially since sheephead love eating lobsters.

Q2: Bonito? Sashimi or Jerky? Bonito makes for perfect sashimi, if properly taken care of from the moment you catch the fish. Never allow bonito to warm up, otherwise the meat gets mushy. This is why bonito has a bad reputation. Fisherman in the past, threw bonito in their bags and let them sit there all day. Then wonder how anyone could eat them.

Although bonito is part of the tuna family, very little of its meat is dark and fatty. It's 90 percent white meat, therefore useless for smoking and turning into jerky. But perfect for sashimi (or Baked Parmesan Bonito--my next recipe!).

Last edited by kayakfisherman; 09-26-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #5
kayakfisherman

Sven,

With your Scandinavian genes, you should never screw up smoked fish!!

Q: Why did my smoked fish turn out too salty? Cooking is really all about screwing up and realizing where the screw ups happened. Either your brine was too salty, or you left the fish in the brine too long. Make those adjustments and try again. Perfect reason to catch more fish!!
Old 09-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
kayakfisherman

Todd!!

Dude! I'm no knife expert but I do know this, there's a different knife for different jobs.

Q: Which knife? Really, you need these three, boning, breaking and chef's. Of the three two are must haves for fisherman, the breaking knife and chef's knife.

The breaking knife is similar to the boning knife since it's narrow and allows you to follow bones while filleting. But in addition the breaking knife has a curved end which gives you leverage to easily break small bones. And, the curved breaking knife makes easy work of skinning fish.

The chef's knife is the universal cooking knife. Chopping, cutting and even skinning fishing is possible with a chef's knife. And as your confidence grows in the kitchen your dependence of the chef's knife will grow as well.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
kayakfisherman

Darren, it's your lucky day!!

I will share a secret with you. Ready? Spanish Mackerel.

Q: Baitfish good to eat? You bet! Ok, I'll admit, green back macks are strong tasting fish and very third world acquired. But Spanish mackerel are nothing but white flakey meat!!! Cleaning them is easy. No scales, just pinch the gills out and gut them. Now dip them in seasoned flour and fry them until golden colored. Squeeze lemon and get ready to go to heaven!!!

Trust me, in the Med, they would easily pay 20 euros a pound for Spanish Mackerels.

Fishermans Belly will do a Spanish Mackerel someday!!
Old 09-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #8
kayakfisherman

Mark, aka Fish11

Congrats on figuring out Bonito are great!!

Q: Bonito, can I cook them in unusual ways? Mark your timing is perfect. I'm spending my Sunday putting the final touches on my new video-recipe: Bonito Parmesan. Fresh bread crumb covered bonito, homemade red wine tomato sauce and parmesan cheese. Unusual? Let's say, this is News to the Italians!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Dude! I'm no knife expert but I do know this, there's a different knife for different jobs.

Q: Which knife? Really, you need these three, boning, breaking and chef's. Of the three two are must haves for fisherman, the breaking knife and chef's knife.

The breaking knife is similar to the boning knife since it's narrow and allows you to follow bones while filleting. But in addition the breaking knife has a curved end which gives you leverage to easily break small bones. And, the curved breaking knife makes easy work of skinning fish.

The chef's knife is the universal cooking knife. Chopping, cutting and even skinning fishing is possible with a chef's knife. And as your confidence grows in the kitchen your dependence of the chef's knife will grow as well.
Yanni,

Right on! Thanks for the reply and info on knife options. I've been using the same rapala fillet knife for a decade + a solid sharpening stone and I think its time to upgrade.

Second question, I really liked the CA style, yellowtail gravlaxs idea and thought "what other recipes or ideas do you have for salt cured fish?
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Yanni, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Going back to Gonzaga next week and will play with the corvina. Tight lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Thanks Bob, for trusting me with your belly!!

Q1: Mild Mexican spices for delicate fish? Bob, Zafron, and Turmeric are used in Mexican cuisine a lot. Not so much for their flavor, especially since they are not strong, but for their color. Both add a brilliant yellowish orange to your fish and are packed with health benefits. Favorite Recipes for mild fish? Create a dry rub using one part salt, one part pepper, and one part 50-50 zafron/turmeric. Rub your fish, then grill it. Squeeze lemon before eating.

Q2: How much cooking time is required for thin fillets? Not much. Here's the general rule of thumb. Cook the first side until the color you want is achieved,
then flip the fillet over and only cook it for half the time the first side took. Cooking the fillet for equal times on both side is a big mistake. Cooking is trial and error. Don't be afraid to screw up, once or twice. But learn as you go.

Q3: Sierras? Love fighting them on light tackle, love eating them too. Sierras are mild flakey fish. They make a great ceviche, or baked and/or fried with bread crumbs (to lock in the juices).

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote