Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-19-2020, 06:13 PM   #1
JasonG

Fish Finder Recommendations

Looking to upgrade my older Lowrance Elite 4. It would be installing on a 2018 Hobie Outback, so I don’t have the new retractable Guardian mounting plate. I’d like to keep the budget as low as possible, but also not interested in the cheapest one out there. I’d like a larger screen, preloaded maps, and I’m on the fence about side scanning, especially because it would mean a non-retractable mounting plate sticking down on my Outback (I think that’s the case, anyway)... is it really worth it? I’d also like to not lose the depth reading when I’m in deeper water.

I’ve been eyeing the Hook Reveal 5 split shot. 95% of my kayak fishing is in La Jolla.

Would really appreciate your feedback/experiences/thoughts/recommendations.

Thanks!!!

Side note... if anyone is looking to sell a late model used Lowrance in great condition, I might be interested in buying used to save a few bucks.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
Batmann

Avoid the Hook series unless it comes with 50hz or 70hz low/med transducer. You won't be able to hold bottom due to the higher frequencies and low output power from the hook series.

If budget is a primary consideration take a look at a Garmin Echomap 64cv not the 63 series which comes with freshwater maps. Garmin also has a new Striker Vivid series coming out but make sure you get one with the right transducer.

Check out this video for some good info and subscribe to a cool local guys channel

https://youtu.be/KXHLbN9cnFE

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #3
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmann View Post
Avoid the Hook series unless it comes with 50hz or 70hz low/med transducer. You won't be able to hold bottom due to the higher frequencies and low output power from the hook series.

If budget is a primary consideration take a look at a Garmin Echomap 64cv not the 63 series which comes with freshwater maps. Garmin also has a new Striker Vivid series coming out but make sure you get one with the right transducer.

Check out this video for some good info and subscribe to a cool local guys channel

https://youtu.be/KXHLbN9cnFE

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Thanks! Great information and excellent video!
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:50 PM   #4
FISH11

X2, on the avoid the Hook series, every one I know that has one has problems and weird how as the depth increases it changes screen to show the next part instead of a continuous screen picture. I think that would drive me nuts. I use a Lowrance Elite 7 TI and have had it for over 4 years. I use the downscan and sonar. It has 50/200hz and 400/800 for the chirp. That transducer easily fits in the Lowrance ready Hobie transducer area. The dowscan is great on lakes and water under 120'. So in La Jolla or any ocean deep water the dowscan/sidescan are not very useful. The sonar works best on the lower frequency for better definition and view of the bottom, especially as it get deeper. I used to have the Elite 4 on my older kayaks and loved how they worked but had a small screen that at an older age is harder on the eyes to see well. I would recommend 7" screen and unless you fish lakes a lot don't worry about side scan and keep the cost down. X2, on watch Chris Blevins videos on how to pick and how to set up nd read the FF. He uses the Lowrance Elite 7 TI2.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:33 PM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

I had a sidescan FF on my old PA14, man did that thing hanging down slow my kayak! I have yet to find much use for sidescan in my area. Eventually I took the FF off, and went back to one that fit in the Lowrance ready compartment.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
SoCalEDC

If you want to upgrade from the elite 4 you will be disappointed with anything new thats under ~450 bucks, because the Elite 4 is already a pretty capable unit.

Just my .02

You might be able to get an elite 7 for 500 if there is still any available. Lots of places were blowing them out for that. The standard one comes with 83/200khz sonar and 455/800khz (down scan/imaging what ever lowrance calls it)

Garmin has some great offerings that might still be on sale for about 450 at bass pro.

Good luck
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote