Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Salty

LJ- Slow Fishing, but Awesome Day

No big ones this weekend, but it was a pretty epic day out there still. All the lobster buoys made trolling a flyline or Carolina rig tricky so I was mostly cranking a yo-yo and ended up with 4-5 good size calico, a sand bass and a decently sized treefish out of it(all released). Not what I was hoping for, but not complaining! Day started out with dolphins playing around my kayak at sunrise which is always awesome. Later there was a whale cruising by in super shallow water that my buddy and I tried to catch up to but couldn't. But the best part of the day was when I was messing around casting a heavy Tady on the Speedmaster at nothing in particular when I hooked up to what I thought initially was a small yellowtail. Turned out to be a monster sized Bonito! Didn't get a good picture of it because when I got it to the side of the kayak and was reaching for the net, it decided to do another run. As I was fighting it again, it did a HUGE run. Then I see the head of a sea lion pop up off my bow holding on to the bonito by it's tail("Mother F***er!). But the fish was still hooked and with the drag set right, this guy took me for a crazy ride! Was literally pulling me around like a horse and carriage. Eventually I was able to pull the hook and even though I lost the fish, it was just ridiculous and a lot of fun! I don't usually keep bonito anyway, so I wasn't too upset about it. If it was a YT, it would have been a different story though...
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:30 PM   #2
f'nsabiki

Nice pics!
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:02 PM   #3
surfshotmoto

That is one happy sea lion! Nice post. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
surfshotmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Nice looking Max Factor Bass! Getting the big one is not always necessary for a fun day on the water -- enjoyed your post.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by f'nsabiki View Post
Nice pics!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfshotmoto View Post
That is one happy sea lion! Nice post. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely! Every time he popped up for air as he towed me around, he would look back at me and I swear he was smiling at me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Nice looking Max Factor Bass! Getting the big one is not always necessary for a fun day on the water -- enjoyed your post.
100% agree. A big YT or WSB would always be amazing, but that's really just the icing on the cake sometimes.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote