Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Bonita for bait...

Hell ya brother! Bait was really a chore to make today (it seemed for everyone), so I happen to to catch 3 mini bonnies and decided that was good enough for me. I pinned one on and began the slow troll march towards the outside. There was another kayak fisherman outside of me going in the same direction, however he kept bending his route towards the corner. I had no where to go, and a guy behind me got a tad bit upset because I stopped, to let the other guy go by. We ended up in a small tangle, told him I was sorry, had no where to go, and let him cruise on through. He seemed to be in a hurry. I reeled in my bait from the tangle, still lively I tossed it back out and before I could take 5 pumps on my peddles - SaLAM! - I'm bit and bit good! Let the fish eat it and when it was all said a done, my circle hook was in its stomach.

On the board by 7:15am.

Brought the heavier gear today, looking to go outside for maybe a tuna...no luck today, however I did land the YT on it; 16 trini, calstar 700M, 65 spectra to 35# floro to a 4/0 circle hook.

I know my pics are lame as of now...will be working on getting better at it, trying to iron out my routine first.

Fish went maybe 25#

Good Luck and Tight Lines,

Geno
Attached Images

Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
FISH11

When hungry those yellows will hit any of those fish we find for bait. Sometimes it's not worth spending a lot of time looking for just greenies. Congrats
Old 07-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Sheephead

Nice fish! How far off the kelp were you? I was getting annoyed my mack was setting off my clicker, can't imagine how you felt with that Bonito!
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheephead View Post
Nice fish! How far off the kelp were you? I was getting annoyed my mack was setting off my clicker, can't imagine how you felt with that Bonito!
100' - 150' of water.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
iethinker

Good To Know

I have often wondered about just this thing. I never got so far as to troll a bonito choosing instead to hold out for the greenback. I do know that the Bonito do not hold-up as well in the live-bait tank though.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
Caseym

Hey Geno, youre getting good quick! Nice adaptation!
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
Hey Geno, you're getting good quick! Nice adaptation!
Thanks Caseym! If I could of kept the other 2 alive, I would of taken them out for tuna bait. Go get some!
Old 07-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
surfisher

SICK!
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
GregAndrew

Nice fish. Always kewl to catch em on something a bit out of the ordinary. Although most of the stomachs I have seen recently have made me question what the ordinary is.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
Vikingj

Nice fish and glad you asked the question about bonita bait. With the scarce bait yesterday we wondered if we should use them. Thanks for report.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #11
taggermike

I fished a bonie last Saturday. It didn't get bit but macks don't always get bit either. I check the stomachs of every fish I catch and I find lots of different things in YT. Dines, Spanish, greens, smelt, grunion, shrimp, red crabs, senoritas, black smiths, small rockfish, chovies, and even flying fish in el nino year. YT may have preferred prey but they are opportunistic predators and will eat what they find. Good job baiting what was available. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #12
Superduper
Junior

Ditto on the bonito. I caught 3 of them buggers right away and headed out. Lost 1st one to a deceptive dog. Went to pin on the next one and noticed the 3rd one was dead. Tossed out my last one and cruised around the corner for nodda. Played hide and seek from the dogs with my last bait. Ended up off the condo just inside the kelp about 85 ft water. Around 8:30 my bonito gets fidgety then I saw the red crab scatter. I look down beside my kayak and I see a huge school of yellows cruising by. My bait starts to peel off and I let em run until I flipped the lever to let it load up. I'm on. With a #6 hook and spectra I'm in good shape. So I thought... The yellow did what they do- headed down to the Forrest. Tug of war pursued then a stand still. Yellow winning with kelp on its side. Put reel in free spool to let em run a bit. Back to the tug a war and pop. Bummer. All in all it was worth the excitement. Last Sunday I caught a nice yellow on a bonito in same area. They do work for bait. Just make sure you pin one on right away as they do not last in a kayak livewell very long...
Superduper is offline   Reply With Quote