Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Question Lowrance FF/GPS?

Well, it appears the rat bastige that found my FF/GPS combo at LJ shores is not going to come forward and turn it in to me! So, I am looking at a new color FF/GPS combo units up to $600. (if they exist at that price)

What is everyone using in the Lowrance line?
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Chris, Lowrance has several units that might work. The HDS-5 and Elite-5 models will probably meet your needs. Each one has several variants with different features and price points.

The HDS-5 has all the bells and whistles: internal GPS receiver, full chart plotting and available chart cards. You would need the Nautic Insight version for ocean charts (Lake Insight is $50 less).
http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...pecifications/

The HDS-5 is going for $799 at West Marine. You would probably want the extended warranty as well; probably another $100. Defender Marine has them for $649.

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...&sort=products

The Elite-5 is a little cheaper than the HDS-5, but it is harder to find.

http://www.anchorexpress.com/Lowranc...-p/104-001.htm
Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks Doug! That is a NICE unit, wonder if a weekend warrior like myself, can justify such a purchase to the Mrs.'s.

I see it has a 2 yr warranty, the West Marine is an 3 yr extension beyond that?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
greenscales
greenscales

The one I have used for years

Chris,
I have been using the M68C from Lowrance. GPS mapping is great for La Jolla (I have used throughout CA fresh and salt) and U.S., but sucks down in Baja - shows me on the beach when I am 1/2 mile away - evidently a Mexico issue, but Lowrance won't get back to me with a fix. Has been great for in bad visibility, puts me right on the hoops. The color graph is fairly good. I like the slim design, but reduces detail and visibility simply because of screen surface area - especially when you use split screen for map and sonar at the same time. Main flaw is the transducer cable - the rubber around the plug rots from electrolysis, even though I use the electronic grease. If you go with this unit, I would suggest trying to find away to seal that area of the unit from the salt. Otherwise I am very happy with it, only goes to about 400 ft through the hull in salt though.

Take my opinionl with a grain of salt though. I am not an expert - I just play one on the message boards.

Richard
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If you are feeling adventuresome and want to take a chance at pissing your money away on a scam, I found this deal on Craig's list.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/emd/1527517271.html

I emailed the company and was told that the unit is brand new and will ship from China for $40. This unit costs well over $1000 in the US and they are asking $102. Sounds too good to be true and is probably a scam but if you pay with PayPal or Am Ex you might be OK.

If you bite on this one, please let everyone know how the deal turns out.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Pat

Chris,

I have the HDS-5, it's pretty good. Blows away all the versions of Eagle's I had. Resolution on the FF and CP are awesome.

Happy New Year.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
dgax65
Guerro Grande

The West Marine warranty is worth the money. The one year factory warranty that you get with most products just covers manufacturing defects. When the extended warranty kicks in, it covers everything, including accidental damage. Its like having a Craftsman fish finder. Stick your gaff through the screen....no problem. I've used the extended warranty on two Humminbird fish finders already. I'm sold.
I just picked up a Standard Horizon HX850S VHF/GPS and got the three year warranty with it.

The HDS-5 is a very nice unit. Worth the money in my opinion, but I'm not the one who has to convince your wife. The only downside that I see with the HDS line is that they replaced the thumb screw closure on the chart card door with a magnetic closure. My 527 has gone through a lot of surf and I've never had to worry about water getting in it. I'm not so sure with the magnetic closure. I'd probably just put some electrical tape over it.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks guys! It was super tempting to go with that HD unit, but I decided to get another color Garmin ff/gps as I only needed to by the head unit, because I already have transducers in boat, and Kayak that will work.