Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
45user

Garmin ff user info request

So I’m looking to switch to garmin from my old lowrance and have few questions for you who use them.
I’m looking at EchoMAP 63cv. And I see the transducers they come with are 77/200 traditional sonar with 455/800 for down view. I mostly fish ocean anywhere from 50-300’ and not sure how well these transducer will read.
If you are using garmin, can you comment on how they do in ocean?
It looks like you can get a garmin transducer with 50/200 separately but none of the units I see comes with it.
Thank you in advance!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
Batmann

Look for the Garmin Echomap Plus 64CV. The 63 series is with freshwater maps. The 64 is for saltwater maps.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmi...arts--19386556

Was $399 over memorial day. Like it much better then my Lowrance Hook.

Can't comment on the Echomap Plus UHD as that series of transducers appear to be geared more for shallow freshwater use. Go to the Garmin website and review the transducers described application.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:15 AM   #3
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
So I’m looking to switch to garmin from my old lowrance and have few questions for you who use them.
I’m looking at EchoMAP 63cv. And I see the transducers they come with are 77/200 traditional sonar with 455/800 for down view. I mostly fish ocean anywhere from 50-300’ and not sure how well these transducer will read.
If you are using garmin, can you comment on how they do in ocean?
It looks like you can get a garmin transducer with 50/200 separately but none of the units I see comes with it.
Thank you in advance!

Go watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6zb...ature=emb_logo

Lots of good info about sonar frequency in there.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
45user

Thank you all for your help!
Old 06-19-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
ProfessorLongArms

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...hlight=echomap

I ditched my Hook5 for a 64cv and love it. Haven't looked back.
Got mine on clearance from WestMarine.

I never use downscan/clearvu and only stick to split screen map/sonar... If I go deeper than 100 feet, I switch over to a lower frequency chirp on the sonar. It works great.

I really like the interfaces and the features. Biggest one being Quickdraw contours. It's a major bummer that, AFAIK, you can't really review the contours you draw outside the unit itself unless you upload to a public site, but other than that it's such a good unit.

Only other gripe (if you can even call it that) I have is when I'm launching before sunrise and can't see that well, I'll push the cable in (perfect circle with 4 sqaure pin pattern and a tiny notch on the side) the wrong way and have to redo it to get it to work properly.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post

I never use downscan/clearvu and only stick to split screen map/sonar... If I go deeper than 100 feet, I switch over to a lower frequency chirp on the sonar. It works great.

I really like the interfaces and the features. Biggest one being Quickdraw contours. It's a major bummer that, AFAIK, you can't really review the contours you draw outside the unit itself unless you upload to a public site, but other than that it's such a good unit.

Only other gripe (if you can even call it that) I have is when I'm launching before sunrise and can't see that well, I'll push the cable in (perfect circle with 4 sqaure pin pattern and a tiny notch on the side) the wrong way and have to redo it to get it to work properly.
Which transducer did yours come with?
Thanks for your reply!
Old 06-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
ProfessorLongArms

So I wanted a transducer for two different kayaks, so I bought a refurbished Striker 4 plus with a dual beam transducer... That one's on my dive kayak. The CV came with a GT20 if I'm not mistaken. Only difference is that I can't use downscan on my dive kayak (never deeper than 60 feet of water anyway) and I never use downscan.

There's a whole rabbit hole about older vs newer garmin transducers....
Long story short is that Navico makes Downscan tech, and they license it out to other companies. Garmin opted not to pay for theirs, and Lowrance sued.... They now can't technically package the downscan with a single beam, but have another technology that's a composite of two angled beams that's inferior. Lowrance even went so far as to put out a promotional video talking about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klwhx0SndJQ

I guess I could see it being useful if you're bass fishing or something, but ocean kayak fishing, I don't really get much out of downscan at all.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
Harry Hill

I can see I really need to learn how to use my Garmin SV7, I don't know what anybody is talking about.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
ProfessorLongArms

Correction- My bad I got the 44cv. Much smaller screen and no wifi
Old 06-21-2020, 08:28 PM   #10
Batmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post

+1 to all of this. Ditched my Lowrance. Love my Garmin.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote