Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Tournaments > Other Kayak Fishing Tournaments

Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Drake

Wounded Warrior/Heroes on the Water Rockfish Opening Day Derby - Guaging Interest

THERE HAS BEEN A SCHEDULE CHANGE!!!!!!!!

Friday 2/28
6pm-8pm: Captain meeting and Check-in @ Marlin Club - San Diego
2445 Shelter Island Drive, San Diego CA 92106
Saturday 3/1
4:30am-6:00am : Last minute check in for boaters @ Marlin Club - San Diego.
Kayaks can check in at La Jolla Shores
6:00am : Lines in the water
3:00pm : Deadline to Weigh-in

2:00 PM Food and Drinks will begin being served at the Marlin Club San Diego
4:00 PM Start of the Award Ceremony and Raffle Drawings

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! Go to this thread and confrim your attendance. If we can get close to 100 kayak entries, we will have a very special price to give away!
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=20366

PLEASE GO FOLLOW US!
Facebook.com/Rockfishderby

Hey guys. Over a few drinks last night, in the wake of a terrible loss in the Halibut tournament, me and another veteran as well as an active duty member had the bright idea to host a tournament of our own. We figured...lets host a tournament where ANYONE can catch a qualifying fish and donate all the proceeds to a good cause.

We are gauging interest, and only have a few months to plan. Here is what I'm asking for right now.

1) Who would be willing to participate? and Who would be willing to volunteer? You could do both...
2) What, if any, contribution or sponsorships could you help us generate?

Since there will be no money prizes, we would like to get prize donations worthy of people competing. It doesn't need to be a big ticket item, anything helps.

3) Would you be willing to be partnered up and chaperone/guide a wounded warrior by kayak. May include lending a rod/reel

4) What else would you like to see in a tournament of this style?

Here is the first draft of the intended structure.

First Annual Rockfish Opening Weekend Derby

Price - $50 per angler for all divisions. Included Entry fee, Swag Bag, Tournament shirt, Raffle ticket and Banquet ticket with meal included and 2 drink tickets.

Payout – All proceeds will go to benefit the Wounded Warrior project in conjunction with Heroes on the Water. Prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place team with a side category for “Luck of the Ling”. First team to text in a picture of a legal Ling Cod will win side prize.
Prizes- 1st
2nd
3rd
LotL -
Kayak
Charter

Side Jackpot - All jackpot prizes will be split 50/50 between the winners and the charity.
$20 per boat – per category. The largest weighed fish of each species will collect the prize. In the event of a tie, first to weigh in will win the pot. In the event of no jackpot fish for a category is caught, all of the pot will go to charity.
Jackpot Fish - Ling Cod; Sheephead; Whitefish; Vermillion; Boccaccio

Kayaks will have their own $5 and $10 Jackpot. They may also enter the large jackpots if they wish. We felt it would be better since a boat of 4 can split up $100 in jackpot entry, where as a kayak wouldn't.

Tournament Rules - Prizes are determined by the heaviest bag of top five qualifying fish. Qualifying fish include but is not limited to, all species of legal rockfish, including California Sheephead, Boccaccio, California Whitefish, Sculpin, Cabezon and Chucklehead. Other subspecies of rockfish are to be included. Ling Cod and Bass will not be included in final bag weight.

Divisions
Private Boat – self-explanatory
Kayak/Sup – Any human powered vessel
Charter – ½ day, ¾ day 6pack or any other hired chartering service.

Kayakers and Charter based anglers will have their own first prize award, and will still be eligible for the main prizes but not visa versa.

Disclaimer stuff - All anglers will be responsible for knowing and following all DFG/DFW fishing regulations. The tournament committee is not responsible for any infractions of the rules during the tournament.

Last edited by Drake; 02-07-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Way to go Neil. Should be a lot of fum, please count me in. What kind of help are you going to need? I can volunteer, and bring some swag.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
RobFish
Massive Member

Love the idea Neill. Your generosity continues to amaze/impress me dude.

I'm in for sure. If needed I can be a guide/team member, or if it benefits the event, I will offer up my PA12, my Stealth 9, and any rods/reels needed.
Wherever the event is held, I will bring down my toy hauler and BBQ, so that we can do an after event feast if we like. That way we will have a full kitchen, fridge, stove, microwave, plus a canopy with lights, etc.

Good times ahead amigos!
Old 12-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Drake

Hey Rob, we are thinking bigger, similar to the YT Shootout. Catered food, kegs, sponsors tables...ect. But thanks for offering up the toy hauler
And thank you for the kind words
As the details get worked out, we will have more info ad to what is needed
Old 12-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Beer Me
Take two

You can put me down as a volunteer. I don't what I will have kayak and equipment-wise at this point, so I'm down for whatever. I just need to know where to be, what to do, etc. I can ferry people from up in my area if needed, bring supplies, etc. Count me in, and thank you.
Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

Great idea.

I'll help out.

You tell me what you need.

Call me baby!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
danjor

Pm sent.
If everything goes as planned should be helping out.

Last edited by danjor; 12-02-2013 at 12:10 PM.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
easyday

Im in let me know what I can do
Old 12-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Jimmyz123

I'm in, where would it be held at, did I miss that in the main listing?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I'm in, where would it be held at, did I miss that in the main listing?
Fishing boundaries? Or the hosting of the party?

Boundaries are being talked about. Most likely it will be anywhere within 25 miles of Point Loma Lighthouse. As far as the award banquet, we haven't found a place to host yet, but it is in the works.

Kayakers will be given an extra 90 minutes to get to a weigh in station. There will also be a weigh in station set up at La Jolla boat ramp.

Last edited by Drake; 12-01-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
LawDog

Any excuse to get on the water is good by me. I have a 2nd yak I can lend out. Rockfish isn't my forte, but sounds like a blast. Lets get this rolling.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
easyday

Ill have an extra kayak to lend out.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
Drake

It's been 12 hours and I can't even begin to express how grateful I am for all the generous offers I've received thus far.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
Drake

Guy Harvey - Has just jumped on board as an official tournament sponsor.
So stoked!

Guyharvery.com
Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
jorluivil

If you have a sponsor support letter that you're mailing out send me a copy or post it and I'll work with my employer (coca cola) to get some free drinks, I'm not sure how much I can get but on average its about 24-12pack cases of mixed product. I might be able to pull a few stings and get a little more.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
Zfish03

Very cool! I can provide my spare outback and...maybe some more. standby...
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
If you have a sponsor support letter that you're mailing out send me a copy or post it and I'll work with my employer (coca cola) to get some free drinks, I'm not sure how much I can get but on average its about 24-12pack cases of mixed product. I might be able to pull a few stings and get a little more.
Send it to me also, see if I can get us some chips.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfish03 View Post
Very cool! I can provide my spare outback and...maybe some more. standby...

PLEASE note that Neill is not planning a HOW event/Outing. He is planning a Benefit tournament and there should be no mass need of loaner kayaks and gear.

All HOW events are ALWAYS officially released only by those who are on the HOW Leadership team which includes Myself, Matt Grisso, and Ryan Walters.

Last edited by Siebler; 12-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
PLEASE note that Neill is not planning a HOW event/Outing. He is planning a Benefit tournament and there should be no mass need of loaner kayaks and gear.

All HOW events are ALWAYS officially released only by those who are on the HOW Leadership team which includes Myself, Matt Grisso, and Ryan Walters.
Thanks for clearing this up.

This will not be a sanctioned event, but rather a fund raising charity event where the WWP and HOW are the benificiares. However, we will likely put out a soliciation for any service member, active, retired, disabled...to participate and encourage a sponsoring angler. This still has it's own logistics to work out.

In other news, M&M Custom Rods, Squidco, Anglers Choice and Fishdope have all signed on to be tournament sponsors and have promised to each make very charitable donations. OEX has also agreed to help support the kayak division.

Also, Skrilla has agreed to donate his custom bamboo gaffs, JeffB will be donating a custom rod, Makobob is donating a SLEW of jigs as well as other goodies and Easyday has made a large contribution to help fill up prize loots and swag bags.

It's been 24 hours and the response has been overwhelming. This may very well turn out to be an incredible event!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
619-SWIM-DOG

I'm in to help out and will check with my brother in law if he wants to use his boat. If not them by kayak I will go. Please let me know what you need done and ill help out as much as possible. Thanks
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote