Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2023, 12:38 AM   #1
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Apologies for the absence; Gone but not forgotten

It just dawned on me, since moving to NorCal in May, 2017, I neglected to post here!
Hello to all the OG?s, & the new ones I had not yet met, since my departure

MY BAD ! ! !.

AND ESPECIALLY AFTER PICKING UP MY 2020 Outback from Andy @ OEX SSB in September, 2019❗️

HUGE PROPS TO ?ANDY? (mgr OEX SSB) THE TIME SPENT WITH ME OVER THE PHONE THROUGH THE YEARS HELPING ME DECIDE THE BEST KAYAKS FOR ME❗️

The following are pictures of it (2020 Outback) decked out for my first excursion (test float) over on Lake Berryessa in 2019, about 2 weeks after I brought it home.
I have since made some changes (ie. Bird Helix 7 SI/DI, Yakattack BlacPak, SAI rudder upgrade, & a few YakAttack misc. add-ons)

Many apologies, I have taken up with Yak-a-Bass, up here in Northern CA., but I have not forgotten my beginnings here on BWE !

I?m so blessed to be within only a couple hours from (arguably) some of the best bass water west of the Mississippi! I am 1 hour from Clear Lake, and a couple hours from Lake Berryessa, Bullards Bar, Lake Shasta, Lake Oroville, Folsom Lake and the whole of the delta❗️
There are also so many other small lakes around here not known for their bass fishing like the others I have mentioned!

It?s a far cry from all the fun in Ventura, Malibu, Santa Monica/Venice, Redondo beach, Long Beach, and the couple times I made it to La Jolla.
The rockfishing is so much better up here, without as much of the travel distance or time and less than 200’ deep!�� 1/2 mi. Offshore, legal lings and 30”+ are so easy to catch (one day I caught 5 in a few hours before breakfast). I plan on a camping trip up north a couple times during some of the height of the summer and stock up on some bottom fish for the freezer.

I will try to post pictures of fish I?ve caught when possible from my phone (unfortunately my previous GoPro?s have suffered damage and are not longer in working condition).

Robert
aka FlyFishinYakr
Attached Images

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 07-29-2023 at 12:50 AM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 05:45 PM   #2
PapaDave

A friend of mine is going up to Oregon and wants to fish his way up the coast. Last year he went and said the rockfish fishing up there was crazy good. I'm thinking of going, but he's going up there for two months, that's not for me, well, if the fishing is good...
Old 08-02-2023, 02:43 PM   #3
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
A friend of mine is going up to Oregon and wants to fish his way up the coast. Last year he went and said the rockfish fishing up there was crazy good. I'm thinking of going, but he's going up there for two months, that's not for me, well, if the fishing is good...

Tell him to check out Albion River resort/campground! Rock fishing there can be crazy good in shallow water (less than 200?❗️)
One morning trip I took , . . . I hooked up 5 legal lings but only kept one for me in only 4 hours of fishing!
The reds are like footballs on steroids! Can?t even guess how many fillets I brought home with my food saver I brought with me! I filled 1/2 of my 50qt cooler! 😵😵🙀
Recommend checking water temps before going (depending on time of year), full immersion suits are recommended during winter, much more comfortable with one on! Without one hypothermia a distinct possibility if you flip, and your yak is too hard to roll over!❗️❗️❗️
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote