Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear

Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #61
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
Hey fellas, I was #2 in line in front of wiredantz today. I showed up with a buddy and I wasn't even gonna get another kayak since I have no problems with my wilderness systems Ride. But those prices were so good I brought back a xfactor plus my buddy got his stealth 12.

Awesome day, I cant believe I was in line at 3am. See you on the water.

Your welcome man...glad i could inspire you to be at the front of the line. haha. good time this morning shootin the shit and passin the time even though i couldnt feel my toes till about 1030.

and as to yakcrazy...im not expert as this is my first yak. i would say just be very careful with your landings...find places with very little or no swell as those thin spots could potentially fracture if you come in to quick and hit hard.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #62
JPSURF

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakcrazy View Post
I was there too. The wait turned out to be a good time.
I ended up with an X-Factor blem that was marked thin in a few different places. I'm pretty sure it means the wall thickness wasn't thick enough to make it to retail. Should I be concerned about this or is it really nothing to worry about?

Yes i have some thin spots on my X-Factor. Had it hanging in the Garage and the scupper cracked. But Andy to the rescue plastic welded it and installed some support on the inside.

JP
JPSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #63
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty View Post
Your welcome man...glad i could inspire you to be at the front of the line. haha. good time this morning shootin the shit and passin the time even though i couldnt feel my toes till about 1030.

and as to yakcrazy...im not expert as this is my first yak. i would say just be very careful with your landings...find places with very little or no swell as those thin spots could potentially fracture if you come in to quick and hit hard.
You can always have Andy look at it, he can make it stronger
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #64
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSURF View Post
Yes i have some thin spots on my X-Factor. Had it hanging in the Garage and the scupper cracked. But Andy to the rescue plastic welded it and installed some support on the inside.

JP
Yes, Andy did that for me too on. Under the seat Support hole. He reinforced it no leaks and peace of mind ever since.

Last edited by wiredantz; 02-13-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #65
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Hopefully your wife was not too upset. I bet you she got over it already.
No she's pretty much over it and wants to take both yaks out tomorrow for a freshwater paddle.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #66
yakcrazy
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSURF View Post

JP

I plan to use it almost exclusively in the ocean.
Is it something I should fix now?
Is the structural integrity compromised?
Do you think it's unsafe?
Will it sit lower and take on more water?
Do I just wait until I have a problem like a crack or something and then fix it?
If I do fix it how much money do you think I am looking at spending?
I hope I am just overthinking this but damn if I have to put a bunch of money into it suddenly the great deal could turn into a hassle and a not so great deal if you know what I mean. I probably wouldn't care at all if I wasn't 255lbs.
yakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #67
Jimmyz123

Glad to see there are new Yakers out there that are new at the sport like me. Looking forward to seeing you all out on the water sometime soon. If you have never Kayaked before I recommend going onto YouTube and watch all the Kayaking surf launching, rigging, paddling, and anything thing else Kayak related. They will help build you knowledge, and confidence. Jim Sammons has a Great Surf Landing video with tons of information that could save you from having a "Yard Sale" on the landing. Speaking for myself, after watching these videos I have learned so much and have a ton of confidence.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #68
Iceman
Administrator

Sorry I did not respond sooner than this. The kayaks sold yesterday still had to meet quality control standards. All of the kayaks sold were seaworthy they just were not perfect. Don't let uneven plastic worry you, it had to meet specs to qualify as purely cosmetic. I use similar blems in my rental fleet and have never seen any issues resulting in uneven plastic. The sale was "as is" with 90 day warranty, with no returns. Reason being that if you had not bought the kayak someone else would have. Don't second guess your derision. We will make sure you are a happy customer. OEX Stands by these kayaks.

Quote:
Cash, check and credit cards accepted
There will be no sales prior to 9AM on Saturday February 12th! Arrive early for the best selection
9am-2pm at Malibu Kayaks Factory parking lot
7110 Jackson Street Paramount, CA 90723-4837
Great deals on seats, paddles and accessories as well!
Call OEX Sunset Beach for details
562-592-0800
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF PARKING LOT SALE
All sales of kayaks are final and sold “AS IS”.
All kayaks will come with a 90 day limited repair warranty against manufacturer defect, and must be claimed through OEX.
Prices are valid for today February 12th, 2011 only. No “rain checks” will be given. All sales are on a first come first serve basis.
All sales are done through OEX and all customer service issues and warranties must be directed to OEX

Last edited by Iceman; 02-13-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #69
yakcrazy
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Sorry I did not respond sooner than this. The kayaks sold yesterday still had to meet quality control standards. All of the kayaks sold were seaworthy they just were not perfect. Don't let uneven plastic worry you, it had to meet specs to qualify as purely cosmetic. I use similar blems in my rental fleet and have never seen any issues resulting in uneven plastic. The sale was "as is" with 90 day warranty, with no returns. Reason being that if you had not bought the kayak someone else would have. Don't second guess your derision. We will make sure you are a happy customer. OEX Stands by these kayaks.
Hey Andy. Thanks for all the info.
I have heard nothing but good things about you and OEX. I am also 100% aware of the return policy on the blem yaks. I'm not requesting a refund or exchange or anything like that. I'm more concerned about whether or not it's safe and whether or not I should attack the problem now or later or whether it is even a problem or potential problem that's all.
"All of the kayaks sold were seaworthy they just were not perfect."
Does this mean I can still load it down completely and bash it through the surf and all? What do you think Andy? Potential concerns?
Do I just wait until I have a problem like a crack or something and then fix it?
The other reasons for blems being determined as blems are far less complicated than this one is. Obviously you wouldn't care to fix a scratch now or put a graphic on that maybe wasn't there. But my issue is a little more trivial.

Thanks Andy!
yakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #70
SFSPEARO
Junior

Mini X's

Hi, are there any Mini X's left over from the sale?

It sounds like the sale was a big success!

Congrats to all who got the great deals!
SFSPEARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #71
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakcrazy View Post
Hey Andy. Thanks for all the info.
I have heard nothing but good things about you and OEX. I am also 100% aware of the return policy on the blem yaks. I'm not requesting a refund or exchange or anything like that. I'm more concerned about whether or not it's safe and whether or not I should attack the problem now or later or whether it is even a problem or potential problem that's all.
"All of the kayaks sold were seaworthy they just were not perfect."
Does this mean I can still load it down completely and bash it through the surf and all? What do you think Andy? Potential concerns?
The other reasons for blems being determined as blems are far less complicated than this one is. Obviously you wouldn't care to fix a scratch now or put a graphic on that maybe wasn't there. But my issue is a little more trivial.

Thanks Andy!
If Andy says it is seaworthy you can bet that you can use it just like any other yak. Unless you can see through the thin areas, you should have no problems. Just don't treat it like the rental guys at La Jolla and remember to visually inspect it on a regular basis as anybody should do.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #72
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
If Andy says it is seaworthy you can bet that you can use it just like any other yak. Unless you can see through the thin areas, you should have no problems. Just don't treat it like the rental guys at La Jolla and remember to visually inspect it on a regular basis as anybody should do.
Yes. if your worried about a specific spot let Andy take a look at it. You can always reinforce it with Wood, plastic epoxy or Steel maybe not the latter.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #73
JOSER85

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadstoadsonly View Post
Nice... I showed at 6:30 and was about 15th in line now I am a happy owner of a Stealth 14 and a Malibu Tandem @ awesome deal.
What's up man!
How was your ride home?
Just in case you forgot I was right behind you. Helped you load your yaks.
JOSER85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #74
wiredantz

The price of getting a 1000 dollar kayak for $ 375.00 is getting sick.