Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-29-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
'Cuda

Mexico 7/23-7/28

Fished LJ on the way down Sun. morn and picked up a 15 lb YT.....a good way to start the trip and something to throw on the campfire grill. Awoke Mon. to fog and a pesky southerly flow so I decided to give my arms a rest. Tuesday I launched at Campo Costa Rica from an easy cement launch ramp...still a south wind but had to fish. Easy to make greenbacks by just hanging a kroc in 2 ft of water over the side and go straight to your flyline. Talked to a couple of pangadero netters who had two 40 lb WSB in their basket so I knew they were their. Got raked a couple times but nothing stuck. Started throwing the kroc and picking up 10-12 lb bonies and after a few of those I headed in. Launched Wednesday to beautiful sunny conditions went straight to the kelp and made 15 smelt. Flylined out a mile or so and picked up my first 15lb YT. Saw some sport boats out of San Quintin about a mile or so south so I figured that was the "spot" so I trolled towards them and picked up #2. I arrived to hear shouts all around so I knew it was on and soon hooked #3 but lost him on the gaff shot. Just after that the tide started rolling in and everything went quiet. On the way in I spotted the netters with more WSB and after they left I paddled over to their bouys just to check it out. Suddenly a school of 6 or so BIG WSB swam 3 ft below me crisscrossing for 3-4 minutes....I'm dragging my last smelt and drop an iron right thru them but they ignore both then disappear. Traditionally September is the hot month for them. I camped on the beach 10 min. from the launch site at Pabellon Beach...$5/nite for a palapa with hot fresh water showers. First time useing my new Pentax and for some reason my 128 pic memory card maxed out after 51 shots and because I'm blind I didn't see the warning and shot blanks for 2 days. I'm planning on returning Aug. 21st for another shot at those WSB so if anyone wants to come along let me know. Sorry, weekends are no good as the locals are as thick as sandcrabs this time of year with their loud off road vehicles and the palapas are all taken.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Bummer on the no pix, sounds like a killer trip. You went solo?!. What more do ya need than a palapa and a shower.