Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
Uncle_Tomas

La Jolla 1/9 - flipped the kayak and lost my rod

Not super proud about this obviously.
Forecast seemed pretty good for Saturday so I decided to give it a shot since I have not fished in a while.
When I finally arrived in the morning at ~ 6:30 I was welcomed by the nastiest surf I have ever seen. Did manage to get through the surf in the AM although it was not the easiest launch and I did get pretty wet.
Could not find any bait and did not see any solid marks on my FF either. I stayed on the outside and made my way all the way to about 170' and then drifted back. Saw a bunch of birds but none of them were working.
There was some solid bass activity though and I picked up few of those on the flat fall.
Finally, on the way in, the surf looked a lot more manageable (but it was not) so I stowed my stuff away, put my ff into my dry bag (one of the good decisions I made) and committed.
As I was approaching the beach I saw that the waves were still fairly big and in short interval. Did manage to stay upright after the first big wave which pushed me sideways and spun my kayak 90 degree as I leaned into the wave to stay afloat. Then second even bigger wave delivered the final blow, hitting me from the side seconds later. That's when I remember I forgot to leash my rods. Luckily I was able to recover most of my gear but my Daiwa Proteus Winn grip and lefty Daiwa Lexa 400 are gone. So if anybody happens to see my gear please let me know.

Hopefully my humbling experience can save someone else's day and money.

#Leash your gear
Uncle_Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote