Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
Irishman

Hobie Outback or PA 12/14

I'm currently paddling an xfactor...fundage has fallen into my lap, so looking for input from those who made the switch...LJ is my normal haunt. Have a truck so moving it not a challenge. To those with the Outback did you regret not going PA or vice a versa. Will be looking to buy used. Really appreciate feedback on this as its a big money decision. Am 5'9, 215lbs.
Cheers
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
TheToxicJon

Love my pro angler , the Cadillac of fishing kayaks. Buts heavy, if you have it on top a van you will have issues by yourself. Pickup you will be fine. I'm 6'4" 275 and its hard to get off of my roof rack, but doable
TheToxicJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
Irishman

Thanks for the response....
Lads, I'm in need of objective ins and outs of PA v outback. IF you could do it again.....what would you go for?
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
2-Stix

I have an Outback...no regrets. Never worked a PA...nice bells and whistles but was not willing to deal with the weight. I fish off heavy beach breaks, staircases and rocky hillside loading areas in LA to Santa Cruz. I came off of a Tarpon 100. I could never image paddling again.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:18 AM   #5
Hunters Pa

I am 5'11" and 150#. I have a PA14 and transport it on a GMC Envoy - the one with the retractable roof. It was a real challenge for me to put it on top so I made a couple bunks by covering some 2x4s with carpet. It is still a challenge but very doable. I also have a Trident 15 and a Scrambler

If you are keeping your x-factor I would think that a PA would fill more of the spectrum not covered by the x-factor. Peddle both and then decide

Last edited by Hunters Pa; 09-12-2015 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Addition
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:15 AM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Went from revo, to PA 14 and now on a 2015 outback. Not going to be changing kayaks anytime soon.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
Maxfli123

PA 14 would be my choice but I don't beach launch. PA has treated me well. It did take a few trips getting my legs used to the workout. Good luck with the purchase I'm sure you will be happy either way...
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #8
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Went from revo, to PA 14 and now on a 2015 outback. Not going to be changing kayaks anytime soon.
I am pondering the same thing as the one who started this thread. What made you go from PA 14 to Outback?
maquinapescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
MR. CLEAN
Junior

I've had a couple x-factors which were awesome yaks. I have a pa 14 and really like it. I tried a pa 12 and found that you have to make alot more steering corrections than the 14. I have a buddy who modified and installed the larger rudder on his 14 and it tracks even better yet. I also believe you will really enjoy the hands free the mirage provides you.
MR. CLEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:03 AM   #10
Rambo

If you have a truck, I'd say PA all the way. Comfort, roomy, luxury, the creme de la creme of kayak in my opinion. LJ launch is a breeze, just unload your fully rig up kayak and surf launch and enjoy some time on the water with the ability to lay back on one of the most stable kayak. You also have deck space for several fish species so you don't need to hang the fish in the water.

If storage is no issue
If your able to maneuver the kayak without help at home
Beach launch out of LJ mainly
Want more time on the water less fatigue
More accessories to mount on
Room to stand and stretch out

PA... All the way.. Any other restriction, you should go with an outback.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #11
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I too paddle an X-Factor and am getting ready to switch it up. The Lake La Jolla lounge chair should be good for you. For me, I wish they made a 14' Outback!
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #12
JohnMckroidJr

I have the PA14 and have no regrets. The outback would be a consideration if I had to launch anywhere requiring carrying without wheels.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote