Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Irishman

42nd Birthday......finally a yak!!

So, fishaholic to say the least...had my eye on the kayak gig for a long time, wife suggests something for my birthday so I say ok...let me check out Craigslist for maybe a used yak, nothing big just something to get into the game. Let me preface the rest of my posts from here on in that I am beyond OCD when it comes to fishing, not OCD in that everything needs a place, but OCD in that if you mention fishing I have to go, learn, discuss, talk or schedule a trip.

I am from Ireland, where fishing as I grew up from the shore meant 13' beach c casters with 30lb gear for 4lb dogfish and if lucky the occasional sea bass, considered a trophy fish if hooked from the shore.

So back to the task at hand...birthday on the 22nd, OCD in full effect as of course now I have exhausted two full days of wishing that either Craigslist or this forum upon joining will magically yield me the yak of my dreams. Off to Oex on Mission Bay, Brian hooked me up with Malibu X Factor 14'.4", it was a blemish model in the shop, the price with paddle, vest and some accessories was a win.....except I need a bigger truck with a longer bed.....

Maiden voyage on Saturday, launched off Bahia and off I went, repeated the endeavor today, all though this time today decided that paddling against the current back to the Bahia from three quarters of the way out towards the entrance to Mission Bay jetty would be best served by not repeating.

No pictures of fish, used live ghost shrimp from Seaforth. Two day count is 2 sandbags, 5 perch, one lizard fish and two sore shoulders....plus a sh1t eating grin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.3 KB, 233 views)
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
JarrodMc

Congrats and Happy birthday dude. welcome to the madhouse
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
StinkyMatt

Welcome.

To many more posts.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
dbarnett66
Danodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
So, fishaholic to say the least...had my eye on the kayak gig for a long time, wife suggests something for my birthday so I say ok...let me check out Craigslist for maybe a used yak, nothing big just something to get into the game. Let me preface the rest of my posts from here on in that I am beyond OCD when it comes to fishing, not OCD in that everything needs a place, but OCD in that if you mention fishing I have to go, learn, discuss, talk or schedule a trip.

I am from Ireland, where fishing as I grew up from the shore meant 13' beach c casters with 30lb gear for 4lb dogfish and if lucky the occasional sea bass, considered a trophy fish if hooked from the shore.

So back to the task at hand...birthday on the 22nd, OCD in full effect as of course now I have exhausted two full days of wishing that either Craigslist or this forum upon joining will magically yield me the yak of my dreams. Off to Oex on Mission Bay, Brian hooked me up with Malibu X Factor 14'.4", it was a blemish model in the shop, the price with paddle, vest and some accessories was a win.....except I need a bigger truck with a longer bed.....

Maiden voyage on Saturday, launched off Bahia and off I went, repeated the endeavor today, all though this time today decided that paddling against the current back to the Bahia from three quarters of the way out towards the entrance to Mission Bay jetty would be best served by not repeating.

No pictures of fish, used live ghost shrimp from Seaforth. Two day count is 2 sandbags, 5 perch, one lizard fish and two sore shoulders....plus a sh1t eating grin.
Dang , I launched my maiden voyage the same day and place. I met up with my long time friend around 1:30pm. We must have missed each other.
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
finyak

Nice looking yak!!
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Congrats and happy birthday! OCD? me too have not stopped kayakn since i started...your in for a ride!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
FishNinjaY

congrats! my 45th birthday is coming up in April. I'm hoping for something similar!
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
RockyRaab

Bought my PA-14 a month after I turned 65. Not looking back.

RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Welcome to the madness my friend. This is such a blast! Can't wait to see you out there and happy birthday!

Oh, and the guy who bought his PA on his 65th, you are my hero. Talkin to all these "young guys" some times makes me wonder if I got into this too late in life at 52 yro... NOT!

See you all out there!

Janine
Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
RockyRaab

You won't see me out on the ocean, Janine. It's a helluva drive from northern Utah -- and I know my limits, besides.

BTW, I'm pretty sure mine was the very first PA in Utah. There are now two of them, but still no Hobie dealers anywhere in the state. It's a genuinely overlooked market.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
janines.fishtales@cox.net

You are still my hero! Some time soon I will be moving to Flaggstaff Az. I am doing my best to catch a YT on my kayak, but you are right. I have been out there a few times now, and it is helping me realize my limits too!

Janine
Old 02-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
RockyRaab

I'm flattered and honored you should think so. I blush to say that I am in fact a certified hero - or was back in the day flying combat missions over Vietnam and Cambodia. Suffice it to say I've had my share of excitement. Google me and see, if you like.