Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
steveooo

The secrets of the sierras

Are my gift to you

I’m a little addicted to fishing. Freshwater, saltwater, anywhere there is water I will try to fish (swimming pools, bathtubs). Having a kayak has exponentially increased both my time on the water, as well as how many fish I catch.

Every year in the last weekend in April we plan a trip to go up for the Eastern Sierra Season Opener. Although this is typically the most crowded weekend, there is something special about being on the water at 5:30 am, throwing a lure at fish that haven’t seen a fishing line in several months.

We usually stay in the June Lake Loop. There are 4 lakes in the loop, with countless little streams that feed the lakes, that are packed with native fish. The June lake loop is only about half an hour away from Mammoth, and about Half an Hour to the back entrance to Yosemite. It is free to park and launch a kayak at most lakes in the Sierras, and many times, you will be the only one on the water.

It is about a six-hour drive from my house, but my favorite part of the trip is fishing my little secret “honey-holes” on the way up Hwy 395. It is not uncommon to catch 30-40 fish on the drive up.

It was a little slower this year, but we still caught our fair share of fish. Species # 1

We found some wind

I will never get tired of driving up to the base of these mountains

We go up with a few other couples. We rent a nice condo, right on June Lake. This is my favorite painting in the condo. Little bears getting freaky.

The first day we decided to fish June Lake. It was the maiden voyage of the new yak, and I couldn’t think of a better place to spend it.

Opening morning we caught our fair share of beautiful healthy rainbows, keeping only enough to make a nice dinner out of.

The weather is not for the faint of heart. It is about 20- 25 degrees outside. The eyes on your rod tips freeze as you reel in each cast. Every drop of water freezes pretty quickly. Hard to tell, but this is all frozen

I did a true through hull transducer on the new finder. I was very impressed. Every time I would see one of these

I would catch one of these

Later that day we decided to go for a drive up to Virginia Lakes to do some ice fishing

The hike in

Two more months and this will be a lake again

While fishing we watched two back-country skiers create a decent size avalanche. Pretty gnarly

I caught a nice brook trout through the ice. Species # 2

My wife is hardcore. 7 months pregnant, and hiking in to a frozen lake to ice-fish at 10,000 feet. She caught a few too. She’s pretty awesome.

Ice fishing is fun. The fish have been under ice for many months with little food. There have been times where we could not have a lure in the water for more than 10 seconds without being smashed by a trout

We went back to the loop, and I fished off the Kayak until dark, for only a few fish.
The beginning of a nice dinner

The next morning I fished silver lake. I was on the water at dark, and was rewarded with a nice cut-throat trout. Very pink meat, tastes like salmon. Species # 3

The fishing was very good for a little while, but it may have been that I had the entire lake to myself for almost an hour. I could do this all friggen day

Later that day we went up to Lee Vining to do some stream fishing. Any chance to catch more fish than my buddies, and rub it in is o.k. with me

Any hunters out there? Count the deer in this pic. These were does, but I have seen some very nice bucks up there.

On the drive home we stop at a few more secret spots. Very beautiful brown trout are thick in these streams that hardly get fished. Species # 4

Not easy to get to, but well worth it

I also found a snake in my best honey hole. I was so focused on moving him away from the only place I could cast from, that I almost stepped on another.

Overall, it was a very fun trip. I try to get up there a few times a year. The fishing can be phenomenal towards early fall. I will try to spearhead a camping trip for whoever is interested later this year. Here is one on my favorite pics from silver lake, not this trip, but later in the season when the colors turn. Such an awesome place.

Steve

Last edited by steveooo; 04-27-2009 at 08:25 PM.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thumbs up

Awesome! I have always wanted to go there, this is good inspiration. Congrats on the lil one too! Thanks for sharing,

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Siebler

I am 100% IN on the next one. Havn't been in a few years and have been talking about going a lot lately.

Thanks for the report

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
Dan

Steve, that was an epic report. Killer scenery.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
Billy V

Very Awesome, I know those spots well.

Have you fish along the Carson River, or on Ebbetts Pass before ?
If not add them to the list.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
yakrider

WOW...makes me wanna go right now!!!!
I have missed going up there the last coiuple of years...
unbelievably beautiful pics...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
LocoKayako

Uhhh...WOW
Awesome trip and thanks for sharing.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
newguy01

sierras

that is awesome place post the date when your planing the trip i might be able to go if i am back from deployment

dennis
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
LunaTuna
Is HOOKED!!!

Awesome report, thanks for sharing. Ill be heading up there may 6-11. Hope my catch is good as yours. Be staying in mammoth but fishing both mammoth and june loop lakes on the yak.
LunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Great post and phenomenal pics...

Never too thrilled on lake fishing, but a trip like that could change my perspective. Thanks for the post.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 AM   #11
teto116

WOW!! real nice...
teto116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
Anthony179
A.T.

That was a nice looking snake. I have a Glossy snake and it look just like the one you found. It's about 3 feet long. All winter long they stay under ground and come in spring time. Not aggresive but if hungry they will bite.
Nice pics.
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #13
j mo

Great report!
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
Geoffkoop

Insane report! Perfect timing....
I will be going on my first freshwater trip to June Lake Loop with my wifes grandfather in June. Looks amazing out there. I would definitely be stoked to come if you guys all plan a trip!
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #15
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Went there with my wife (girlfriend) in the may '02. Stayed at the Cabins west of June Lake. Rented one of the aluminum boats and fished with my wife. Ate at the diner near the rental office. Great place. This report re-kindled the desire to take the wife and kids there.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #16
Jim Sammons LJKF

That was awesome, love to see reports from other places. That deer shot was more like a where's waldo picture. Of course my eyes suck so I could only see a couple of them.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #17
ccoral

Send a message via AIM to ccoral
cant wait now leaving on Thursday 6 am to fish on the way up to cabin in Mamoth, Did you have to get your kayak inspected to fish lakes. We are bringing several up, fishing crowley then kayaking down owens.
Let me know if you had to get inspected where you went. PM on the honey holes on the way up as well. J/K
sucks sitting at my desk now after seeing pictures.

any help will be appreciated
ccoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #18
MalibuJohnny

Eastern Sierra's

Ever fish Billy Lake Slough? right around Independence, CA
One photo looks like the drive up to Onion Valley...Pinion Creek?
How about South Fork? Fish hatchery? East side of 395?

Love the Eastern Sierra's
Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
steveooo

We didn't fish Crowley, but I did see that they were inspecting boats there. No inspections anywhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoral View Post
cant wait now leaving on Thursday 6 am to fish on the way up to cabin in Mamoth, Did you have to get your kayak inspected to fish lakes. We are bringing several up, fishing crowley then kayaking down owens.
Let me know if you had to get inspected where you went. PM on the honey holes on the way up as well. J/K
sucks sitting at my desk now after seeing pictures.

any help will be appreciated
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #20
slayersmith

Great post Stevooo! Awsome!!!!

Take it easy!

Aaron
slayersmith is offline   Reply With Quote