Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Im bent
Junior

Question tamarack beach easy launch

I went out of Tamarack beach yesterday and I will probably go today again.
It was just somewhat of a test run but I ended up staying on the water for over 3 hours,time flies when ur out there. I only got one calico and a lizard fish.
All I had was was plastics, crocidiles and some old sardines that were soft and mushy that I was trying to bring fish to me by chumming. I wanted some tips on fishing the kelp. What is my best bet? I was going to try shrimp and squid today as well as plastics. I will be going this evening so I would appreciate any tips that I could get. Tamarack beach is so calm right now it is literly like launching from the shore of the lagoon,too easy not to take advantage of this opportunity.
Im bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
jorluivil

Try and get into the habit of carrying some dead squid just in case the bait is nowhere to be found. If/when you catch squid keep it and freeze it for the next trip. Also, if you're fishing the kelp look for alleys or potholes, drop or drag some bait in that area(especially if its sandy) and wait.

P.S.
since I don't use plastics maybe someone that does can chime in and give you a few pointers.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
PE.rider

I like using 3" bighammers around the edges of kelp paddies. I use a small syringe and inject Pro Cure Krill oil for Sheepshead and Sardine Oil for Calico Bass. Sometimes, it takes something new like a 5/8 bucktail jig or skirted jig plus Berkley Gulp Shad on the hook to mix things up.

You like to mix your food up, I can tell you from experience that the fish need novel presentations too.

Good luck!
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Im bent
Junior

I tried again today. I threw plastics around the edges of the kelp line,I put frozen squid texas rig, I put squid on a dropper loop nothing was out there.
I dont know what else to do.. Any tips? Trying again manana
Old 08-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
echo1er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Try and get into the habit of carrying some dead squid just in case the bait is nowhere to be found. If/when you catch squid keep it and freeze it for the next trip. Also, if you're fishing the kelp look for alleys or potholes, drop or drag some bait in that area(especially if its sandy) and wait.

P.S.
since I don't use plastics maybe someone that does can chime in and give you a few pointers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r4X8W0wmro
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Grunt31

One thing i find works for me, other than squid over there, is grabbing a little 3"-5" watermelon colored grub, throw it on a 1/8 oz jig head... toss into the paddies, and jig it to make some disturbance on the water in the kelp. You will see some attacks at it, and probably pull some bass in. if you need live bait for free, go out and dedicate a good half hour working around the kelp with a sabiki rig, and loading up on some bait- sometimes it can be hit or miss. i punched out there yesterday with a buddy in his boat trolling for bonita on the way out from the boat basin. got 8 in. and we threw a lively sardine on both our hooks, both got hooked up with crazy bendo, mine popped off pretty quick, and his stayed on for a good 15-20 minutes and popped... either way good luck and hope some luck changes... it can be ruogh fishing out there. but be ready for a big haul one of these days..
Grunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
Cuyuna Kid
>-+++(o>

Anybody here ever paddled out from Fletcher's Cove in Solana Beach? Looks pretty promising!
Cuyuna Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Im bent
Junior

Back at it today. I got two fish only kept one for dinner. Other one was about 15 inches. No bites on the squid it was a throwfest all day. They started biting for a few minutes right when the sun popped out but fell off again..
Name:  fish.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  6.0 KB
Old 08-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
kareem korn

I board fish there alot. It's a hard place to fish. These small reef kelps are still new. They died off years ago. It's just now comming back to life. But, it's not full of fish like LJ. So, my advice would be fish it like I do. Just go out and enjoy the water and life around you while casting your ass off. Every now and than you get rewarded with a fish.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
taggermike

When I lived in Carlsbad I fished Tamarack all the time. My best bites were on sardine and smelt colored swim baits. In the summer I've actually had better success fishing in side the kelp over the rocky reef and eel grass areas. 3/8 and 1/2 oz are about as heavy as you need to go because you want the swim bait above the grass. Making bait is always a good idea. I've never had much luck with macs there but smelt can work well. During grunion runs you can catch the grunion at night and fish them the next few mornings. Sand and calico bass plus halibut will often be in tight and will hit the dead grunion. Another "match the hatch" happens in the spring when the black, barred, silver, and wall eyed perch all have their babies. They give live birth so for about a month the reefs are loaded with little naïve baits. They're from penny to quarter sized and look a lot like shad. I spearfished there as well and at these times the sandies, calis, leopard sharks, and halis often hunt right along the boundary where the eel grass and sand meet waiting for the perch to stray from the safety of the rocks. Small silver or white swim baits and even fresh water style shad rap style lures can work. Any way, these are a few things that worked for me there.

And for Cuyuna Kid; fletchers cove can have good fishing similar to Tamarack. There is also some boiler rock fishing up toward seaside. The set back there is you can launch on an empty beach early but by noon the beach and water are packed. The life guards may have you land way the hell down the beach away from the swimming area. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Im bent
Junior

thanks for the tips.. I am going tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
Cuyuna Kid
>-+++(o>

Thanks taggermike......
Old 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
mrock
Junior

Were you in the red kayak? I was out Sunday morning and caught got 3 calicos. All to small, so much for my promise of a fish taco dinner.
mrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
Im bent
Junior

I am in a tan tarpon 120.. I talked with that dude for a minute though. I just got back from Tamarack. I was gonna go out but its windy and choppy, I will just keep my Eye open for the right time.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
RAYMO
new YAKER

reg tamarack

Hey Im always looking for new spots to launch??? where exactly do you launch??? Do I need my yak cart to launch ??? how far and deep are you going no pun !!!!! intended
RAYMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
Im bent
Junior

5 freeway to Tamarack in carlsbad go west until you can go west anymore. You
park right next to the sand, only downfall is they charge 10 bucks a day parking.
I live really close so my son drops me off in my truck.. no waves next to the jetty.. I go about a half mile and get right on top of the kelp lately. Going manana to see whats up!!