Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
buddha

The Sea Samurai's Message To All On the Shark Sightings

Kevin posted this on my FB San Diego Kayak Fishing group for all to please read.

Urgent message: If you all haven't heard already, the lifeguard division on La Jolla shores is addressing the issue of hammerhead sharks and their interaction with kayakers, swimmers and beach goers. This message was on Let's Talk Hookup this morning.
Their first plan of action is to have all kayak anglers have their fish stored properly long before returning to the launch ramp. This includes gutting fish, bleeding fish, and release/throwing away bait. Though it cannot be proven we are the cause, the media would prove otherwise in the last few weeks. If the problem continues and the sharks continue to roam the beaches due to kayak anglers activities, they will take further action and close the launch ramp.
I for one do not and cannot lose the use of the launch ramp. Fishing off of kayaks is too much fun. Please do your part to be as respectful to our local waters and especially to the beach areas as an angler. Store your fish in a kill bag, front hatch, anything that is not exposing your fish. Also do not toss out your bait in the surf or on the sand. Release all unused bait long before you reach the ramp. It also doesn't hurt to stop posting videos or photos of hammerheads or any sharks near the kayaks. As exciting and unique these times are, we need to stop people from getting the wrong idea.
Please share this message everywhere you can. If someone could post to BWE that would be awesome. You can copy and paste this post if you like.
Thank you everyone, Kevin Nakada

Last edited by Iceman; 10-16-2015 at 09:57 AM.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
buddha

Here is his update on the shark situation.

A handful were at Fastlane, including myself, when the captain of the lifeguard division came in. This was Wednesday. From there we explained everything discussed above, and they were understanding of the situation and it's uniqueness. That is why the launch is not closed. But the mayor himself said that something needed to be done. It was up to this captain that the decision was to properly inform us kayak anglers in order to avoid future closure at the cost of exposed fish.

Kevin Nakada
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

I agree! Let's be responsible and be a solution to the supposed "problem". Irresponsible actions by kayakers reflect poorly on the entire fishing community

Here's another idea. Quit calling the effing news stations. I'm so sick of the guy who just bought a hobie now they want to prove how badass they are because they saw a shark. Hammers makos pointers...shut up already guys. These sharks are always around, and your encounters (however cool they may be) are not special and definitely not news worthy. Stop drawing the media attention.

Honestly I'd love it if they closed the launch. Those of us who live here and fish it all the time have plenty of launch spots to get out there. Pro angler use in la jolla would drop by 90%
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
I agree! Let's be responsible and be a solution to the supposed "problem". Irresponsible actions by kayakers reflect poorly on the entire fishing community

Here's another idea. Quit calling the effing news stations. I'm so sick of the guy who just bought a hobie now they want to prove how badass they are because they saw a shark. Hammers makos pointers...shut up already guys. These sharks are always around, and your encounters (however cool they may be) are not special and definitely not news worthy. Stop drawing the media attention.

Honestly I'd love it if they closed the launch. Those of us who live here and fish it all the time have plenty of launch spots to get out there. Pro angler use in la jolla would drop by 90%

THANK YOU.

im gonna say i got circled by 12 angry hammer makos while bleeding out my fish right at the launch. id love to fish alone
Old 09-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
taggermike

I've been launching my kayak to fish in LJ for at least 15 years and I can't remember ever seeing some one bleed, gut, or fillet a fish inside the reserve line, let alone out side the surf. What is the 'authority' talking about. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
ratdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I've been launching my kayak to fish in LJ for at least 15 years and I can't remember ever seeing some one bleed, gut, or fillet a fish inside the reserve line, let alone out side the surf. What is the 'authority' talking about. Mike
I also many years kayak fishing here and never done it and never seen anyone do it.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #7
fishja

But are we really the problem? What about all those little snack sized fur bags swimming around? I've only been in lj for 5 years and even I can see the increase in fur bags... I was free diving the kelp on Friday and saw not one but two seals with bite marks. Distinct horseshoe shaped marks on top and bottom of seal.

On another note if you don't bleed and gut your fish right away you really aren't doing it justice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
fishfoo
Junior

this is a federal boat launch
it will be hard to close
if you close it to us they will have to close it to all
and only with the federal approval
fishfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
MrPatrick

Laws don't matter anymore! Just write an executive order, "for the good of the people". Don't you know government knows what's best for you. We're all victims of our circumstances, we need to be cared for and protected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #10
YTHunter
Carlisle

The lefties will use every trick in the book to kill fishing. F'em.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:03 AM   #11
TheToxicJon

Don't most people gut/gill and bleed there fish the moment they catch it? I do.
And about the sharks. Don't these people realize. That water they are swimming in is those sharks home.
They are here to protect and help us. There is a spiritual reason why sharks don't prey on human flesh. Its because they are our watchdogs. Stop talking to the beach go-ers about anything in my opinion.
On a side note, I hate it when tourists ask for pictures with people's fish or ask a ton of questions.
Leave us the hell alone imo
TheToxicJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToxicJon View Post
They are here to protect and help us. There is a spiritual reason why sharks don't prey on human flesh. Its because they are our watchdogs.
Care to go further in detail on this point? I don't follow your logic
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #13
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Care to go further in detail on this point? I don't follow your logic
Damn troublemaker JOHNNY!!!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #14
Harry Hill

They are here to protect and help us. There is a spiritual reason why sharks don't prey on human flesh. Its because they are our watchdogs.

I don't think you have it quite right, there is a reason they don't feed on lawyers, it's called professional courtesy. They will feed on normal people though, we taste like pork.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #15
WARRIORMIKE

So whats the going rate of a few minutes of shark sighting video sent to the media?

I need a new reel. Thats why I asked!! LOL

J/k!
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote