Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
madscientist

Big congrats to Patrick...

...for a well earned win at the Steve Moyer Memorial tournament today. His 29+ YT was a beautiful fish, any day of the week, and an emphatic way to take top honors. Patrick and Tyler had a game plan and stuck to it, where others did not (myself included). They also showed their considerable class by calling me in to the bite they found. Bravo gentlemen, and to all who had a good day on the water.

I was derelict in my photobeyatch duties, but I know many great shots and stories will be forthcoming.

As an aside...ski, are your balls feeling any better? That was a brutal raffle. :lol:
Old 09-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
ski

Yes, way to go Patrick. That fish was a beauty!
Brad, I was over the pain, but since you brought it up, it's starting to sting again! At least I got a cool looking $60 cooler
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Patrick deserved the big win today 8) . We stuck to our plan and he hooked up big. Huge congrats. Good to see some of the local talent get the two biggies. I was also glad Patrick got the bigger fish(no offense Brad). After calling Brad into the bite I was worried when he hooked one that looked bigger. I though maybe I should have kept my mouth shut on our secret spot. Congrats to Brad too for the 2nd biggest fish.

As for me my luck ran out. I hooked up big and pulled the hook. I am so stoked Patrick won. huge props.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Congrats Patrick. What a piggie YT. Brad nice going on taking 2ND honers, I thought 25 pounds would take it all. The closest I came was a nice crease in my first sardine's head.

Nice double!........well actually triple if you count bringing up Kurts tangled rockfish with the second

Old 09-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
Peter Otto

Congrats Patrick! Sounds like you all had fun. Way to go.

Jonah 1:17 "Now the LORD had prepared a great fish"

Peter Joseph Otto
Peter Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

The fish everyone else wanted to catch!!!

Short and really fat. Fork length was slightly UNDER 40". I think this one had been eating well for a while!
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
Dennis

Word! Congrat's on the ride and loot, Patrick. That was a fatty.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #8
Ryan The Sealion

Nice fish patrick!!! Wish I coulda made it, but I was stuck @ work today...not as good as a yak yellow, but getting this thing on one of our rent rods made it almost as exciting :lol:

Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:10 AM   #9
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Hats off to Patrick!! That's one solid seriola! 8)

Ryan, a little bling and your all over that Mr. T look for Halloween.............pity the fool! :twisted:

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #10
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden
Short and really fat. Fork length was slightly UNDER 40". I think this one had been eating well for a while!
Mine was the opposite. 41" and emaciated. Patrick's fish must have been stealing all my fish's food. :lol:

Congrats as well to Keith Martin for a nice halibut, and for making sure Todd's postage stamp of a flatty didn't take it. :lol:
Old 09-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #11
Aaron&Julie

Congratulations to all the big winners. That is a beaut of a yellow, worthy of a kayak.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
Cucamonga Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
Congrats as well to Keith Martin for a nice halibut, and for making sure Todd's postage stamp of a flatty didn't take it. :lol:
Thanks Brad. Todd has caught more big Halibut from a yak than anyone I know. I feel pretty lucky to have gotten one a little bit bigger than a postage stamp to beat him.

Keith
Cucamonga Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #13
esdees
The Good Clone

In case someone doesn't check the other sites I posted to...

First of all, thank you Tyler. That was a good game plan and I'm glad we didn't ditch it early on. I know I was thinking about it, and I'm sure you were too.

The plan was to skip the bait boat and head straight to the pier, and then continue north from there in hopes of finding a halibut, but still keeping a fly line out in case of tail. Bait was definitely around at the pier, but as most people there saw, it was not biting very regularly. Tyler managed to find the hungry ones and had two or three pulls with a full sabiki. I had a few as well, so we headed north while it was still a bit dark.

There were already a few ahead of us, but as we kept going they all seemed to bail in favor of the pier or hotel area. At the time that didn't seem like a bad idea because it was DEAD up there. Nothing was going on, no bait, no birds, no marks at all on Tyler's finder. The wind was starting to look like it was going to be bad like it was on friday.

We had gone all the way north of the north TP reef and were on our way back when we saw a couple of terns circling and diving in one spot. This is usually something I would pass up, but it was the first sign of life we saw, so we went for it. It was amazing how much bait these TWO birds were diving on. Tyler dropped down a sabiki to see what they were and he came up with another full load of green backs. He yells out to me "Green backs. I wouldn't be surprised if there were yellowtail under them." Minutes later my clicker screams zzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ! I picked it up, turned off the clicker and waited.. no counting.. maybe a little praying to the fish gods... then I put it in gear.... BENDO! That thing turned me around so fast, I'm hootin’ and hollerin’ as I'm skipping across the surface.

Meanwhile, Tyler thinks that I'm making bait and doesn't really pay attention until I get the thing to color and yell out that it's a nice yellowtail. To which he responds "You're on?!" It is hard to tell that I'm pulling on anything with the rod I was using, it is the stiffest rod for its weight that I've ever encountered.

Anyway, it took a minute or so to get it up from color and I took the first gaff shot I got and almost tipped as it tried to run under me from right to left. I got this guy in my lap and tied down and noticed that the hook just fell out. I got a few on the water estimates, all were in the low to mid twenties, which seemed about right for the length. I decided to bleed it in hopes that on one would beat me by a few ounces.

During the course of the morning there were a few more bites. Brad landed one, Tyler's popped off at color, and my second one popped off a few minutes into the fight. I didn't hear of any other hook ups for that area. Thank you to the guy, Doug I think, that let me use your wheels. Send me a message and I’ll make sure that I get them back to you.

At the weigh in, I was shocked to see that my fish weighed 29 pounds! The length said otherwise, but this guy was fat! Thank you for all the congrats and congrats to the other winners. My biggest tail couldn’t have come at a better time.

-Patrick
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:19 PM   #14
lamb

Great teamwork, great fish, and a tourney to boot… Right on.

Big time congrats Patrick!

Congrats to Keith and the other gentleman that scored.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #15
pimpthe805

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Ryan The Sealion"
[img
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e276/block005/hg001.jpg[/img]

man that hair is ridiculous ryan! and those better not be my boots you are wearing fag.
pimpthe805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 AM   #16
Jim Sammons LJKF

Congrats to Patrick, Brad and all the others that weiged in fish and walked away with prizes.
Thanks to your support we raised over $10,000 for the charities.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #17
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:27 PM   #18
Jim Sammons LJKF

Ok here is the final Tally
180 kayak anglers on the water
We earned $9,491.35 for the American Cancer Society
and $2,055.00 for the Chef Stephano fund.

Thank you all once again for supporting this great event. It is only great because of you.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #19
screaming reel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to screaming reel
Nice pic Andy, could you e mail me a copy of my doubble hook up.
Mrabasco@guhsd.net I was the guy at last years tournement who took your photo of your winning WSB. Thanks in advance for the shot!

Matt
screaming reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #20
esdees
The Good Clone

Thanks for the extra pics Nathan.

-Patrick
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote