Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
cowboybill

Big Day

I hit the water about 2pm...Waves were not bad, but larger than the report showed. The small wave cycles seemed very short, I was patient and timed it well....

Red tide looked like paddling in V8 juice! Saw a couple of Cool Jelly fish. Red tide cleared at the west end of the kelp...

I started seeing bird activity at about 85 ft deep, 1/4 mile off the kelp. I was tempted but stayed focused on making bait...Took a bit to find some bait, but once I did It was too easy...the bait was less than 10 ft below me at times....Got 7 macks, and 2 smelt just for options? Got away from the kelp and hooked a 8 inch mac.

Started heading west, and at about 100 ft depth, the bird activity started all over... I paddled as quick as possible towards the nearest boil. At that point I could see 4 main boils spread over roughly 1/2 mile in a rough north/south line. Got within throwing distance and started hucking iron. I could not see the fish, only the results at the surface. I worked shallow, and caught a baracuda on 3rd cast. I was not able to land the cuda, as 2 feet off the yak while lifting the fish, it thrashed and jumped off the hook!
Kept working the iron, and chasing the boils...I can see why the peddle system really works at this point, as I was drifting east at a good clip...

The bird activity reminded me of dust devils in the desert, sort of forming, moving, dissipating, and new ones forming or moving...My drift was hurting me as the boils were moving west into the wind slightly....

Suddenly though I was in the middle of several tornado's of bird activity, and as I scanned the horizon, I could see 6 or more boils covering several square miles!! It was rockin! It was then that my trolling rod got hit...Just a side note; I am new to kayak fishing, and not the most experienced fishin guy around....So far I had only feed seals, caught 2 comerants, and gotten kelp snags from my trolling rod...But the way I got hit, I knew this was none of the above!
My shorter rod with an old Senator reel started screaming!!! I pulled the rod out, increased the drag and holy crap! The thing went right for the bottom, and slightly under my yak...I started working the fish up, and then saw 2 other guys about 200-300 yards away with bent rods. I was talking to my fish, as he did not want to cooperate...twice I had in in sight, and he made runs straight down and under my yak! I think it took about 10 minutes to land this thing...

I landed it no problem. I still saw so much activity, I was tempted to go for another...but I had a good fight, it was still early enough to get home before dark, enjoy a beer while cleaning up...half way back, I turned west and the whole sky for miles was dotted with birds. Every yak that landed had at least one Yellow tail while I was there. It was one of those days!!

At shore I ran into Mike, a guy I fished with once before, and he had his YT, and a scale....My YT was just over 26 pounds....
Attached Images

cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
yani

Bill,

That will be a day to remember. Welcome to La Jolla!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
herefishyfishy!

Wow nice job! Beautiful !!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
dfroggy54
Rolly

nice YT!!! Congrats!!
dfroggy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
danny
Danny

Wow nice fish.
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
GunWall Flint
Junior

nice report cowboy..sounds like it was an epic day to say the least.
GunWall Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
fishdude

Nice job on the yellows. I can not even imagine how packed it must be out there with the word being out.
I love having a job but times like this I F!@#!@# hate it.
Congrats on all the fish to the plastic navy folks out there.

I just hope that this Monday they might still be hanging around and the weather co-operates.
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Whizz Bang

Congrats

Nice job on the yellow and on the timely report
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Billy V

Congratulations - I'm sure You're hooked now.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
steveooo

Awesome report
I gotta get down there one of these days...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #11
blitzburgh

WTG!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

hell ya bill nice novel hahaha see you out there
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote