Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
LBKayakDude

Ff Khz question

Hey guys. I'm ordering the lowrance elite 4 HDI soon (want the 5 but can't afford). It's the total package w trandsducer. The one from Amazon is 83/200 kHz and the one from west marine is 50/200. Both are priced at $300.

From all my research it's still really unclear which is best for my kayak. From my understanding: 50/200 is better for deeper water over 100' and 83/200 is better for shallow.

I guess this is where it comes to your personal experiences. I generally fish 10' - 180' ft of water. Lb and Newport harbor to areas like la jolla and such, where its gets to 200'... I'd like to be able to read bottom structure and see fish in deeper water but still want good readings in 10' - 30' as well.

Do you generally just pick which better suits you or is there more to it? Sorry for such a newbie question but I couldn't find my answers in the search tool or on Google and you guys have the most experience with this.
Thanks for your time and tight lines! 🎣 🎣
- Joe
LBKayakDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

You will probably use the 200khz frequency more than the 83 or 50. Now you mentioned you are getting the HDI unit but the transducers you listed will not show the downscan imaging that the HDI units and produce. Make sure the transducer you get is either 50/200/455/800 or 83/200/455/800

Otherwise the HDI unit would be pointless and you would be better off getting the base elite 4 with gps, which should be cheaper. If the 83 and the 50 are the same in price I would opt for the 50. I would also opt for getting it at west marine even if paying a little more, due to their customer service and replacement program.

Hope that helps.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Whichever you decide to go with get the westmarine warranty for it, you will likely use it.

I personally have the 50/200. Alot of guys have the 83/200 and it works fine for them. I just want that deep water capability myself.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
LBKayakDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Now you mentioned you are getting the HDI unit but the transducers you listed will not show the downscan imaging that the HDI units and produce. Make sure the transducer you get is either 50/200/455/800 or 83/200/455/800
Sorry yes you are correct I forgot to list that. They are 50/200/455/800 and 83/200/455/800. Thanks guys I really appreciate it. @yakdoubt @fulrac

🎣🎣
Old 12-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Cbad Mike

I've been playing with my HDS 5 and really like the 50/200 setting especially for LJ. It allows me to see the fish that I can't catch in great detail.
Just a thought....... West Marine is selling the HDS 5 for 399 including the transducer PLUS their warranty can't be beat.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
LBKayakDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
Just a thought....... West Marine is selling the HDS 5 for 399 including the transducer PLUS their warranty can't be beat.
I just saw that too When you say including warranty does that mean I would not have to purchase the extra warranty protection?
Old 12-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBKayakDude View Post
I just saw that too When you say including warranty does that mean I would not have to purchase the extra warranty protection?
SORRY.... I meant PLUS their warranty can't be beat. So YES you do have to pay for it but It will most likely save you a lot of money and hassle in the long run.
Mike
Old 12-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
Cbad Mike

I personally will only buy my electronics from West Marine because of their awesome warranty.
Since the HDS 5 is under $400 if something happens to it WM will just replace it on the spot hassle free.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
YakDout
Brandon

The HDS unit is far superior to the Elite 4 you mentioned earlier. If you want to do it right the first time, get the HDS. At only $100 more, save the extra cash and fish a couple more times without a FF if you have to. It will cheaper in the long run because you WILL want to upgrade at some point from that Elite 4.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
LBKayakDude

Awesome guys. Thank you everyone, this really helps. That makes alotta sense for me because I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon so I wanna try to get the 5.

Hypothetically speaking does anyone ever not buy the extra warranty? Will west marine still help you out at all? Or just no question, extra warranty is a must. Sorry to beat a dead horse
Old 12-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
Cbad Mike

I have never had a reason to use the warranty YET.
I have read plenty of posts on here from guys getting the run around, paying shipping, and waiting weeks just for an answer to see about a replacement from the manufacturer. West Marine will do a simple swap without going through the manufacturer for items under $400 but ONLY with the warranty which is 3 years I think. A lot can happen in three years!
Mike
Old 12-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
TJones

One important thing not mentioned

The cone angles are different . 83 kHz ,your wide beam has a larger cone angle than the 50 kHz . That is the reason it cannot penetrate as deep . With the depths we are typically fishing , some actually opt for the 83 kHz because of this reason . Being able to have a wider footprint . Hope this helps .

Last edited by TJones; 12-13-2014 at 03:11 PM. Reason: None
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
LBKayakDude

Thanks Mike. It looks like they offer a choice between 1 or 2 yr extended warranty. I'll be sure to get atleast a year. Thanks again. Much appreciated. 🎣 🎣

@Tjones. Thanks man that does help too. Looks like, more or less, I just have to decide if I want the most accuracy in the shallows or the +100 ft depths.

Last edited by LBKayakDude; 12-13-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

x's a bunch for HDS 5 and west marine warranty. I had the elite 5 HDI, realized I wanted more after 3 months, brought it back and got the HDS 5 with just paying the difference. No questions asked and on the spot swap. Very nice!!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:45 AM   #15
TJones

If you can afford it?

I would recommend getting the max year plan . Two years down the road you can trade In an obselete model , for the top of the line . 😉
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #16
LBKayakDude

Hey everyone. So I never ended up buying a ff because of the talk of the new dragonfly 4. Checked out Raymarine website and google searched but I can't find info on when it's actually coming out. I'm sure someone on here knows alot more than I do about this. Should I keep waiting? Thanks in advance for any help etc...
🎣🎣