Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
If this was anyone but Josh it wouldn't of made it a page and a half. Jealousy is a bitch. Like someone said earlier. Some sit appreciative of the catch, while others criticize because they themselves can't to it to the degree of the guy on the stage. I don't know Josh on a personal level nor do I have anything to gain by taking his side. I just think this is all a bit ridiculous.

To me this thread is'nt about Josh at all, except that he caught some awesome wsb recently, which to me is outstanding!The reason being is that he does'nt play armchair quarterback like some and gets out there and fishes. Basically this thread went to "when is an over the limit fish over the limit", that is at what point should an over the limit fish be released before it becomes a violation? To me this is not "ridiculous" but rather an effort on my part to understand. And also so that maybe others in a similar situation will know when and how to release.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
j mo

Agree,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
To me this thread is'nt about Josh at all, except that he caught some awesome wsb recently,
And being relatively new to the sport I’m confused by this. If I’m lucky enough to catch a WSB, should I fear accidentally catching another one? Should I move away from my spot change bait etc.?

Iceman posted the "proper form" for release but noticed he has WSB on deck already and one on the line. Was he in violation? (I guess the Iceman pulled his post???)

This is a great site for info on gear, technique and tackle. There are allot of really cool folks on here that have been very, very helpful especially Josh. I hope it stays that way and doesn’t turn into BloodyDecks 2.0 where you have to sift through pages of insults and shit talking to glean info. I hope it stays humble......

I hope to have the high class problem of catching two WSBS in one day and wondering what the hell to do!

best,
Josh

Last edited by j mo; 03-26-2009 at 10:43 AM.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Quilted Germ

Quote:
To me this thread is'nt about Josh at all, except that he caught some awesome wsb recently, which to me is outstanding!The reason being is that he does'nt play armchair quarterback like some and gets out there and fishes. Basically this thread went to "when is an over the limit fish over the limit", that is at what point should an over the limit fish be released before it becomes a violation? To me this is not "ridiculous" but rather an effort on my part to understand. And also so that maybe others in a similar situation will know when and how to release.
I agree, it's not about any one fisherman, but about what to do and what not to do. Being new to the sport, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, that's all. This site has been more than helpful in many aspects and I hope it continues.
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
FISHIONADO

I've learned from this discussion and will be careful about certain situations in the future. I've found this thread to be very valuable for raising visibility on how to follow the rules. I had never thought through some of these situations and could have easily erred on the water. Peace everyone.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsasher View Post
All I have to say about all this at this point is, How many of you out there have in the past fished for trout and had your limit in a short time but continued to fish because you drove all the way out to some lake in the middle of nowhere and your going to make it worth your time, or gone out for lobster and had you limit but your buddy didn't have his yet so you continued to catch lobsters hopping for larger ones and giving the smaller ones to your buddy so he could get his limit or even being over your limit at home in the freezer, so you could stock up on them for later into the summer. Now is that not a violation in itself, to continue because you caught your limit too soon or to stock up on lobsters to last for a few more months? So judge yourself first before throwing stone at others.fficeffice" />>>
>>
I've never done any of those things you mentioned. I did catch a lingcod on a fish trap at the bottom of a sabiki rig once, lingcod were in season so I took it home and ate it. Someone responded to my post showing that I was in violation with more than two hooks on a line for lingcod. I had read the DFG regs but missed that point for lingcods. I am sorry about that violation and would never allow it to happen again. Many people learned from that post also.

I do go 80mph on a 65mph freeway often, but I don't see the relation to this issue.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
blackcloud9
Kayaker

(Careful, the CHP reads these boards looking for speeders.) : )

Fishionado,
I didn't learn anything here except that when people misuse the term
"violation" and "poaching" and they are simply being inflamatory, their
posts get removed. Thanks BWE for monitoring and keeping this a
worthwhile message board.

gcsasher, the difference is that both lobster examples happen to
be law violations. This isn't that .. or, maybe somene can help me.

D50, "Once you handle an over the limit fish you are technically in
violation(at least my common sense tells me that)."

I want to understand this "law" that says you have to stop fishing
completely when you have a limit of some arbitrary species, and/or
the law where it says you cannot lift a fish out of the water before
releasing. I have been fishing for 40 years and have never heard of
such a thing from any reliable source.

Please, please PM me if you have a solid, qualified answer. I posted
the text of the DFG's "Take" law above and it's ridiculously vague,
so some clarity from an attorney would be refreshing.

Last edited by blackcloud9; 03-26-2009 at 11:58 AM.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsasher View Post
All I have to say about all this at this point is, How many of you out there have in the past fished for trout and had your limit in a short time but continued to fish because you drove all the way out to some lake in the middle of nowhere and your going to make it worth your time, or gone out for lobster and had you limit but your buddy didn't have his yet so you continued to catch lobsters hopping for larger ones and giving the smaller ones to your buddy so he could get his limit or even being over your limit at home in the freezer, so you could stock up on them for later into the summer. Now is that not a violation in itself, to continue because you caught your limit too soon or to stock up on lobsters to last for a few more months? So judge yourself first before throwing stone at others.fficeffice" />>>
>>

Obviously any intellectual stimuli or conversation resulting from my above post ends here.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
MalibuJohnny

What I have learned from this thread

If you contribute to this thread:
  • Be honest
  • Don’t boast
  • Tell the truth
  • Don’t use Photoshop
  • Don’t expect everyone to praise your skills
  • Expect to be held accountable
  • This is a small world…someone is always watching!

I will never get as good as all of you, and that’s OK… because I get more out of this than I could have ever imagined.

Last edited by MalibuJohnny; 03-26-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling
MalibuJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Obviously any intellectual stimuli or conversation resulting from my above post ends here.
See Dave, I figured this out yesterday and pulled my posts. I also cleaned up some others that did not belong
Old 03-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
S I figured this out yesterday and pulled my posts. I also cleaned up some others that did not belong
Cool
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
-scallywag-
Banned

this is a sticky subject; after reading josh's original post, with his knowledge, love and caring for the fish, "I" feel that he did nothing illegal....but after some thought and comparison to the guy on BD who caught a BSB, pulled it onto the deck of his PB, took some pictures THEN released it I can start to see where the line is blurred....the only obvious difference, josh loved that fish and teated it like his own child, plus technically, it was never "on" his boat

DARKHORSE - Please don't stop posting your reports and pics....use photo shop, don't post your techniques or spots, we don't care....i know i have learned a ton from this post as well as others you have written. Plus you inspire everyone to do thier own research, try new techniques, post thier own pics/reports, and most importantly to LOVE THE OCEAN (now i sound like a dang hippie)
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Oh chit, what'd I miss....

I remember getting bashed for letting Clay keep his first Calico...a 22"er...

Now, if you'll excuse me, gotta go and cook up some duck that I snatched, er, I mean, that followed me home from the Ralph's on Poinsettia...collapsed right as he got to my place...imagine that...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
To me this thread is'nt about Josh at all, except that he caught some awesome wsb recently, which to me is outstanding!

To me this is not "ridiculous" but rather an effort on my part to understand. And also so that maybe others in a similar situation will know when and how to release.
I agree to a point. I enjoy Josh's reports and don't try to read into it anymore than what it is.

You rarely see people creating fake usernames or coming out of the woodwork to criticize anyone but some of BWE's "top performers". Those "one post wonders" are what made this thread ridiculous. And like Matt said earlier, lings and sheephead have been boated out of season and posted here. Not nearly the response as displayed here. That is why I threw in the "anyone but Josh" comment.

I also happen to believe that this train left the realm of understanding and a vicarious learning experience pages ago. I read it and enjoyed it when he first posted the report. It went south from there. I may not have done the same but I honestly don't care about the violation in question. There are more productive things to do than "hate" on one person.

I think we're on the same page here... Maybe you misinterpreted my point.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
KW
Junior

Great job Josh! I'm envious big time as I came up empty on the wsb yesterday. I was the guy launching right behind you in the blue Scupper Pro.

I got into a epic ling bite when I gave up on the croakers a little deeper out yesterday. Maybe I was in violation as I was trying to limit on reds but kept getting ling bit every other fish? Who cares......

Seriously, I have seen a Hell of a lot worse... guys handing off fish from boats and yaks....Also gaffing fish with a legal ghosts on the hatch and then floating the smaller (dead) one so they can keep the bigger prize.....

Great video of the release as well... you could have very easily stoked out another yak by handing off that fish, but you did not....Epic job man!

KW
KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #15
driftwood

Some people are self made. Josh by choice made himself a fish whisper.
"If there is a need fill it" Josh fills that need very nicely and helps many to catch their first trophy a dream come true worth every penny!
I was with Josh yesterday and he pulled up a monster WSB and imiditly released it. He never offered it to none of his cliants because he would just say.. Catch your own. And by the way, Josh came in with zero fish yesterday but some of his cliants did hook up (50 pound WSB)
Soon the limit on WSB will be 3 daily and many of you will be coming in with 2 or even 3 WSB on your kayak or boat. So here is a rhetorical question. Just because its legal does it make it morally correct?

Last edited by driftwood; 03-27-2009 at 05:48 AM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
FISHIONADO

I've known Josh for several years and consider him a very ethical fisherman and brother. I didn't recognize an issue at all until the Chicken person pointed it out. Once recognized you've just got to say, I would do it differently next time. Live and learn and share with others so they can avoid a mistake. Peace all.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #17
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

a bunch of donkeys walked into a bar...

and the bartender said, can't you donkeys read the sign, no mulling around!

To sum it up, just do the right thing and nobody will get their panties in a knot

Everyone has their own opinion, and most are like assholes: stinky.

If it had been me, I would have immediatley stopped fishing after catching that first wsb.

Followed it up with a cold beer and some time spent reflecting on the fish I had just silenced, sent my condolences to the fish gods and then paddled in.

But thats just me. And in my opinion, any other response would be disrespectful to the fishery.

No matter how thriving you "THINK" the wsb stocks are Josh, it was still a bad call. I mean no disrespect, your fishing skill as always amazes us all... but your judgement was once again questionable, nice edit of your post by the way.

Nobody can say for sure if the released fish survived. After an experience like getting torn through the kelp, many fish are in shock. A tired and disorientated fish can become easy prey to the numerous sharks which are known to follow white seabass schools.

See the post by Jim Day... there were lots of sharks around the day that beautiful wsb was released by the "fish wisperer"... granted, if that fish found a nice piece of Macrocystis pyrifera to curl up and take a long nap in, then the fish most likely survived.

In my opinion that wsb wasn't feeling so hot when he swam SLOWLY away. No matter how long it took to get that picture and pull the fish carefully out of the water, it was too long in my opinion.

Sorry guys, I was feeling a little left out not contributing to this rant... as I am usually the first one to call someone out, I feel much better now, oh internet, how I love thee.

see you on the water!, and maybe

Owyn

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #18
chris138
donkey roper

Bump to the time that La Jolla's greatest hero got heckled by some kooks, and one very smart oceanographer.

Funny how even back in 2009 people we're talking about how BWE is just not like it "used to be".

Who else misses reading the work of the Darkhorse?

PS- I saw this legend at the launch the other day... guess what... he still catches more fish than the rest of us.

Cheers!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #19
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I am with you Chris. I personally learned a lot from being around our friend and mentor. It is too bad that the Darkhorse has gone, well, dark, but many of the best fishers from back in the day have done the same thing.

Wouldn't be great if, despite the steadily worsening fishing conditions around here, the kayak fishing community could revive itself in protest? I am not suggesting actual protests but maybe a revival of the open communications and friendly competition that made things so great back just a few years ago.

I for one promise to post a report, even if it is a skunk, whenever I go out. Hopefully others will do the same.

And Josh, please remember that for many of us your epic posts and on the water instructions will be fondly remembered by many of us forever.

Thanks for the shout out Chris.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:35 AM   #20
blackcloud9
Kayaker

White Seabass Release

Good times! I shot all the photos and video that day with Josh.

Here's that video, posted on Vimeo:
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote