Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
RandyD
Junior

I am new to the sport of kayak fishing, and seeking advice

I am new to the sport of kayak fishing, and seeking any advice that you are willing to give. Another member started a similar thread asking for help, but I did not want to insert my questions on his thread, so I started this one. My fishing experience is mostly limited to fishing for trout as a kid, and that was usually with a borrowed rod and reel. I have very little to no experience in fishing.

Another member on this site, got me interested in joining this site and taking up kayak fishing. I have been reading posts on this site and others hoping to gain some knowledge. I live and work in La Jolla, and my work schedule can be hectic and it is filled with last minute emergencies, which would make me an unreliable fishing partner. I am mostly interested in pursuing the fishing off La Jolla and in Mission and San Diego Bays. Based on what I have read, I am most interested in learning how to fish for yellowtail and will add more game fish to the list as I progress in knowledge and skill.

So far, I have bought a well maintained and equipped PA and a FF from fellow members on this site. I am trying to decide what are the best rods and reels to purchase along with lines and tackle.

Based on what I have read, there are three main techniques for yellowtail fishing, live bait, yo-yo jigging and surface jigging. If there are other techniques that I left off the list, please let me know. I am interested in purchasing the better quality rods and reels so they last and provide better performance. I am interested in your recommendations and the reasons for your recommendations.

Thanks,

Randy
RandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
AirborneYak

What kind rods and reel are you looking to get? Are you looking for gear specific for YT?
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
RandyD
Junior

Based on what I have read, I am inclined to buy Calstar or Seeker rods, and Shimano reels, and I am open to other makes that are of quality.

I have been given two reels, a Shimano Trinida 16 and a Shimano Calcutta 400b. I have also been given a Shimano Terez Wax Wing, 8'0", Medium power and extra fast action rod, rated for 20-50 lb of braided line.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

My advise would be to start off slow and work your way up. Learn to move around on your kayak, figure out what it can do. Learn self rescue, be prepared for emergency situations, learn the best way to move your PA around. Build your strength and endurance for pedaling. Figure out how to catch a fish from your kayak, fish for perch and bass in the bays, learn how to use your fishfinder. Then slowly but surely learn how to beach launch and land your PA. Then your ready to fish yellowtail.

If you cannot wait and need to catch one today...Just hire Josh and your dreams will be realized.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
RandyD
Junior

Thanks, but I have experience in kayaks. I have been kayaking for at least 20 years. I am a former Recon Marine, so launching and landing a small boat in heavy surf is not something new to me. I am seeking advice on which rod and reel to purchase.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
Thanks, but I have experience in kayaks. I have been kayaking for at least 20 years. I am a former Recon Marine, so launching and landing a small boat in heavy surf is not something new to me. I am seeking advice on which rod and reel to purchase.

Rod and reel right...there is no right rod and reel for everyone. There are so many different options available I'm sure you know that already. You should buy a rod that fits your personal style of fishing...Star drag or Lever drag..? Do you prefer to fish heavy medium or light, whatever you choose they should get the job done.

Reels, Avets are nice, they hold up to the saltwater very well and are reasonably priced, for yellowtail an MX or MXJ, LX should be good choices. The new shimano toriums in sizes of 16, 20 are excellent reels, or if you want to spend the big bucks the trinidads are even better....and plenty more..

Rods anything from BIG 5 rods to Calstar, Seeker, GLoomis, the shimano rods will get the job done as well.

I personally use a Calstar 800m with an Avet MXJ 6/4, Now is this the right setup for you??? Maybe...Maybe not. You might like a shorter rod...or maybe even a longer rod, Maybe a stiffer rod or a softer rod, Bigger reel or small reel...you'll have to find out.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
tacmik

Head down to squidco and ask them. Tell them what you are targeting and that you are in a kayak. They will not steer you wrong, are very knowledgeable, and have good prices.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
ccacher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post

I have an 8' Seeker rod and an 8' Ugly Stik rod (both medium and weighted very similar) ...I know Seeker is a much "better" rod but I don't think the fish know that. Point is if I'm buying a set up I'd rather spend more on a reel and less on a rod (granted not a piece of garbage). Would rather have a nice reel with a good drag system. Just my 2 cents though...
Old 04-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #9
FARRIER

My advice would be to set out to find 3 to 4 set-ups provided you can afford them.
1. 9-10 foot rod for throwing the iron with a simple star drag reel. I would start with a reel which can hold a sufficient amount of 40# mono.
2. Live bait setup this is purely up to the angler. I happen to like longer rods 7.5-8.5 because i use them on long range fishing boats and they cast bait well. It is also easier to put the rod around the front of the kayak. I like rods in the 40-60 pound range for lj fishing. I like and star drag or lever drag reel spooled with 65# braid and a 10 foot topshot.
3. yoyo iron setup. Short stout rod and any high speed reel will do. I like to fish braid 65# but another choice is 40# mono.
4. bait/dropper loop setup. My bait rod is one i would switch for dropper loop after I'm finished making bait. It can be similar or the same as your live bait rod.

Knots you need to know.

I use the ten turn bob sands knot for mono to flouro.
San diego jam for irons.
The spangler for terminal connections.
Palomar, uni knot

Its a lot of info to start with. Please take the time to learn how to dial in your fish finder as it finds you bait. And lastly don't hesitate to say whats up to everyone and anyone on the water. You never know who is gonna lead you to that honey hole. You are gonna get a lot of responses as far as gear. best of luck finding what you are looking for.

Last edited by FARRIER; 04-02-2015 at 02:23 PM.
FARRIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #10
ccacher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARRIER View Post
My advice would be to set out to find 3 to 4 set-ups provided you can afford them.
1. 9-10 foot rod for throwing the iron with a simple star drag reel. I would start with a reel which can hold a sufficient amount of 40# mono.
2. Live bait setup this is purely up to the angler. I happen to like longer rods 7.5-8.5 because i use them on long range fishing boats and they cast bait well. It is also easier to put the rod around the front of the kayak. I like rods in the 40-60 pound range for lj fishing. I like and star drag or lever drag reel spooled with 65# braid and a 10 foot topshot.
3. yoyo iron setup. Short stout rod and any high speed reel will do. I like to fish braid 65# but another choice is 40# mono.
4. bait/dropper loop setup. My bait rod is one i would switch for dropper loop after I'm finished making bait. It can be similar or the same as your live bait rod.

Knots you need to know.

I use the ten turn bob sands knot for mono to flouro.
San diego jam for irons.
The spangler for terminal connections.
Palomar, uni knot

Its a lot of info to start with. Please take the time to learn how to dial in your fish finder as it finds you bait. And lastly don't hesitate to say whats up to everyone and anyone on the water. You never know who is gonna lead you to that honey hole. You are gonna get a lot of responses as far as gear. best of luck finding what you are looking for.

^^^ Reply of the day goes to you sir. Very insightful.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Rod and reel right...there is no right rod and reel for everyone. There are so many different options available I'm sure you know that already. You should buy a rod that fits your personal style of fishing...Star drag or Lever drag..? Do you prefer to fish heavy medium or light, whatever you choose they should get the job done.

Reels, Avets are nice, they hold up to the saltwater very well and are reasonably priced, for yellowtail an MX or MXJ, LX should be good choices. The new shimano toriums in sizes of 16, 20 are excellent reels, or if you want to spend the big bucks the trinidads are even better....and plenty more..

Rods anything from BIG 5 rods to Calstar, Seeker, GLoomis, the shimano rods will get the job done as well.

I personally use a Calstar 800m with an Avet MXJ 6/4, Now is this the right setup for you??? Maybe...Maybe not. You might like a shorter rod...or maybe even a longer rod, Maybe a stiffer rod or a softer rod, Bigger reel or small reel...you'll have to find out.
Tony is right, everyone has their own preference as to what they are comfortable using.
Most of what I originally learned about rods, I learned while working the 1/2 day boats. I also learned how to "custom fit" rods (leverage) to people from Yo Yoshida (Yo's custom rods) in Gardena back in the day. I also took that knowledge and worked for Art's tackle in Gardena for awhile.
Your choice of rods will also depend on the species your fishing for.
For example: If you fish heavy kelp (LJ) , rock and pinnacles (Rocky Point/Palos Verdes) where you might find 30#+ or more , I've found a X-fast 40# rod to be my go to outfit (i.e. Calstar 6465H). This rod has a heavier back bone than a regular 655H to "turn the Fish's head" quickly and keep them away from the obstacles. This also makes for a good Yo-Yo rod (IMO). However this is not a good outfit for as you will "Pull/Rip" many hooks with this outfit as mouths are much softer than .
On the other hand, breezing or Tuna, Dodo's, Hoo's in open water where there are no obstacles, the 665 is my "go to" 40# outfit but still too stiff for my taste for a outfit.
I usually "step down" to a 25-30# outfit for and don't "Pull/Rip" out hooks nearly as much. I've turned to the Shimano Teramar W/C Inshore Rods for anything lighter than 25# (I bought a Shimano Inshore "Swimbait" rod that I can't wait to try out!).
Reflect carefully about what/where you fish and what you fish for.
Also consider what kind of line you will be using! If you're using mono you don't have to worry too much about what brand of rod you buy. However if you plan on using braid, look for rods that have Hardloy, Alconite, SIC or TiNi guides or risk "Grooving" your guides thereby causing fraying of you fishing line, or plan on having the guides replaced every few years.
Just my .02
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
taggermike

You're right, Live bait, yo-yo, and light iron are the 3 main YT techniques around here.

You have a good start with the rod and reel you currently have. The trini on the waxwing rod should cover your surface iron well. Yo-yo iron tends to be a winter time style so maybe focus on bait rod for now.

For a bait reel, I prefer a lever drag cause I'm usually slow trolling mackerel and the lever drag lets me adjust the spool tension so I don't have to listen to the clicker chirping every time the mack gets nervous. Avets are very popular, I use an old Shimano TLD 15 and like it. Line capacity is often over rated, particularly when you factor in braid. I put 250 yards of 65 braid in the TLD 15 and its maybe 2/3 full. Seriously, are you every going to fish 500 feet of water or have a fish around here rip out a 600 foot run. Even if you do hook a big thresher, with a decent drag it will just tow you along on a "LJ sleigh ride". Braid is good to have. It allows you to change leader weights easily and braid will definitely help you cut fish out of kelp.

For a bait rod you need it only long enough to pass around the bow of the kayak. Any longer just gives up leverage. Too many brands to discuss but most YT bait fishing is not finesse so a 6-7 foot rod that can fish 30 or 40lbs is about right. Glass and graphite both work well. Price is up to you, a $60 ugly stick tiger or $400 Super seeker will both kill fish. I fight fish much differently than most but I find rods with a shorter distance from reel to butt lets me keep the reel closer to me and my center of gravity.

Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #13
RandyD
Junior

Everyone, thanks for taking the time to writing your explanations. They are very helpful.

Being new to fishing, I have not developed a style yet. I just did not want to spend money on a rod or reel and find out that it was completely inadequate and wrong for the type of fishing. I have been a hunter, and did not want to be the guy who shows up at an elk camp armed with a .22.