Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Badtaste2k

Supposedly weekend project, from last month :) - Picture Heavy

So, I was browsing DIY Kayayk videos on youtube and came by this Italian (I think) guy who inspirded me to pretty much copy his idea. I take no credit for any of this, especially since Bassyaks already made a ready to go system, BUt his guy was my inspiration, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezwfbmqDBA0. Anyways, Not completely done yet. I haven't roped up the rudder for quick connect yet, but it's good enough to play with the motor this Wednesday before work!

It's just a MinnKota 30lb thrust Freshwater electric motor (I will have to run it in fresh water after use). I cut about 8 inches off the shaft and deconstructed the mount it came with. I then built a motor mount out of 1/8" aluminum. I hooked into the rudder seat mounting as well just for some extra support. Then I attached a Scotty rod holder to the mount. I took two Scotty rod holders and chopped them down then attached a quick made aluminum mount for the Rudder and made an another for the Motor bracket. The majority of the motor mount is what came with the motor, just slightly disassembled. I built some aluminum steering arms and attached them to the shaft with a SS hose mount. I also attached and eye assembly for the motor retract rope. After that it was just attaching the rudder steering links. The motor only adds about 12 pounds cut down.

For the electrical, i kept everything external. removed the speed control and extended the wires. I then just used a rubber dish washing discharge hose and some shrink tubing to make it all waterproof. I put the switch in a small utility box I had with a volume dial and gooped it up to seal it. I just attach the tubing to my side tie downs with a couple snap clips to hold it in place and the control box sits in my lap or to my right. I used a trolling motor plug into a plano box to hold my battery behind my seat. It's a 12v 35ah battery from Harbor Freight that weighs about 24 lbs. I have a circuit breaker and a kill switch for the motor, But haven't put them on just yet.

I tested it a couple weeks ago before i completely (yeah right) waterproofed the system, or installed the retract rope, and she ran pretty good. At first she was dragging ass forward but haling ass backwards. Someone reversed the + and - power cables to the switch... After that adjustment she moved great! I could cruise at speed 3 (about 3.5 mph) or troll at speed 1 (about .75 to 1 mph) and I fished from 6a to 12p (without much luck) in the harbor. If i pushed to speed 5 i would get to between 4 and 4 - 5 mph but that speed drains the battery fast I have read. Apparently the amp draw drops from 30 to 15 from speed 5 to 4 and to about 8 for speed 3, but i haven't tested that myself, just from info i found online. I checked the battery when I got home and I was at about 40%

I'm not trying to get out of paddling, but I am tired of calling it a day because of the wind or current. Plus I should be able to cover more ground and get out a bit further than i can paddling. I didn't check my speed if I paddle along with the motor, I will do that this Weds. Also, I am thinking of getting another one of these small batteries and putting it in the bow for ballast. I figure i can pull my 12v 10a battery that I using for the FF and use it instead. Plus attach a quick plug for use if necessary.

I know I will have to register it also now if I keep the motor on. I guess that will be the next thing to look into!

Let me know what you think

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130708_200113.jpg (57.4 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg 20130708_200507.jpg (56.0 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg 20130708_200128.jpg (62.7 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg 20130708_200935.jpg (38.1 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg 20130708_200626.jpg (48.4 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg 20130708_200729.jpg (43.6 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg 20130708_200754.jpg (51.4 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg 20130708_200801.jpg (51.7 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg 20130708_200349.jpg (61.5 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg 20130708_201337.jpg (55.8 KB, 339 views)
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
jorluivil

Looks good!

Surf launches and landings should be a breeze!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Famous2146

That looks nice good luck out there.
Famous2146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Jellyfish
Junior

looks awesome! would like see a video of it running in the water. Good Luck
Jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
keenefish
Junior

nice

looks great, but I would hold off on the registration, I got mine registered and only used it a few times since a few years ago but every year I still have to register it. The lady at the DMV looked at me crazy when I told her I needed registration for my kayak. Wait for a warning or fix it ticket, but I don't think they care or even know you need one with a electric motor.
my 2 cents
Keene
Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Badtaste2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Looks good!

Surf launches and landings should be a breeze!
Thanks! I think I'll keep it to the boat launch for a while till I get the bugs worked out

Dan
Old 07-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
Badtaste2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenefish View Post
looks great, but I would hold off on the registration, I got mine registered and only used it a few times since a few years ago but every year I still have to register it. The lady at the DMV looked at me crazy when I told her I needed registration for my kayak. Wait for a warning or fix it ticket, but I don't think they care or even know you need one with a electric motor.
my 2 cents
Keene
Thanks for the info. I checked out info on registering her. I figure I will wait for a while. I guess if I do register it it would be considered Alternative Fuel and be pretty cheap anyways. I just don't want the numbers on my Yak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
looks awesome! would like see a video of it running in the water. Good Luck
I will try to video the next test run. Maybe with a fish... maybe

Dan
Old 07-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
danjor

I am about to tackle this project, currently working on battery waterproof case problems, trying to find one to fit the battery yet can still fit in my kayak. Thanks for posting the pictures I might use some of your ideas along with my ideas of copping the bassyak setup
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
walkonwater
Junior

You should work for NASA!
walkonwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Badtaste2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
I am about to tackle this project, currently working on battery waterproof case problems, trying to find one to fit the battery yet can still fit in my kayak. Thanks for posting the pictures I might use some of your ideas along with my ideas of copping the bassyak setup
I recommend checking out the Video from the Itailian kayaker who did it first. He goes into some more details, and uses the original mount more than I did. What size battery are you looking at?

Dan
Old 07-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #11
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badtaste2k View Post
I recommend checking out the Video from the Itailian kayaker who did it first. He goes into some more details, and uses the original mount more than I did. What size battery are you looking at?

Dan
I have a 12.8v 100ah LiFePo4 battery, it only weighs 28lbs. I was trying to make a custom battery box so it fit in the rear hatch of my x factor but I gave up yesterday and ordered a pelican box, I can't believe none of the case company's make a case that fits in the rear hatch of my x factor yet can still fit the battery in, so it looks like the battery is going in the front. I also have a pwm speed controller so I can eliminate the stock speed controller with a more efficient pwm speed controller.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
Jellyfish
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badtaste2k View Post
Thanks for the info. I checked out info on registering her. I figure I will wait for a while. I guess if I do register it it would be considered Alternative Fuel and be pretty cheap anyways. I just don't want the numbers on my Yak!

I will try to video the next test run. Maybe with a fish... maybe

Dan

SWEET!
Jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote