Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
SoCalEDC

Storing rods inside Kayak hull during launch

Anyone successfully do this in an outback, and still able to retrieve the rods when on the water? It was no big deal in my last yak cause of the rod pod, but on Saturday I put the rods in the hull on my outback (through the front hatch) in preparation for Sundays launch (which didn't pan out unfortunately), but I was concerned I wouldn't be able to get them out once I was out on the water. I have only surf launched a couple of times, so I'm not 100% comfortable with leaving my rods out as I don't want to break them if the kayak is tossed over and they're stuck in a rod holder.

Thanks in advance guys.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
matthew7!

My buddy uses a out back he leaches all his rods and leaves them in the rod holder. Any extra rods he lays flat and bungees them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew7! View Post
Any extra rods he lays flat and bungees them down.
That's what I was going to suggest. Bungee them as flat as possible against the deck of the kayak so nothing would snap if you roll.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
Revoguys

Yea Ive seen guys put their reels in a watertight bag and stuff it in the hull and put their reels on while they’re out there, also do what other guys are saying tie all their rods together and lay them flat and tie them down to the yak in case you flip. Truthfully if you go out on days that the surf is low you should be good. Just cut all your lures, jigs and hooks off your line before landing just in case you do flip you don’t hook yourself. Tight lines 🤙🏾
Revoguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:33 PM   #5
f'nsabiki

I've had an Outback for many years. I wrap the rods together, and put the reels in a heavy duty trash bag. For the rods, I slice a pool noodle in half and place it around the rods and lash them to the kayak. http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/a...1&d=1583911704
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/a...1&d=1583911704
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/a...1&d=1583912457
Attached Images

Last edited by f'nsabiki; 03-10-2020 at 11:43 PM. Reason: p
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:39 AM   #6
SoCalEDC

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Also just realised I posted this on the wrong subforum, apologies.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
Old 03-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
monstahfish

If you do slide your rods in, make sure you do it butt end first. That way when you slide the out on the water, you end up with the sturdy end in your hand. I have a new outback and use the h-tracks to launch with my fly rods pinned horizontal by the bungee. In most cases I just launch with my rods in the vertical holders of my livewell or crate and safety bungees on them.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
If you do slide your rods in, make sure you do it butt end first. That way when you slide the out on the water, you end up with the sturdy end in your hand. I have a new outback and use the h-tracks to launch with my fly rods pinned horizontal by the bungee. In most cases I just launch with my rods in the vertical holders of my livewell or crate and safety bungees on them.
Thanks for the heads up. Due to the geometry of the hatches, the hull, the drive well, and the thickness/stiffness of my rods the would only go tip first trough the front hatch and on the outside of the drive well. I don't think I can get them out of the front hatch despite the vertical orientation. I was planning to shimmy down the yak to the bow and retrieve them reverse of how they went in. With that said, I think I am going to try and store them the way you described with the bungee/H-rail method.

I don't particularly like to have to put the reels on on the water but I may have to work with it that way until I am comfortable with the rods vertical during launch.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
Old 03-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #9
filippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoguys View Post
Just cut all your lures, jigs and hooks off your line before landing just in case you do flip you don’t hook yourself. Tight lines 🤙🏾
Couldn't agree more!! Happened to me once. Flew off my kayak at landing, kayak landed on me, I got hooked, my rod was fully bento, weight of the yak on the rod & line and felt my skin would get ripped off, had to have my buddy and someone else help me get the line cut since waves were splashing against me and my kayak. One word: PAINFUL! Lesson learned. Oh, I emailed Rapala saying I didn't get to use their lure to catch a real fish, and they mailed me a brand new lure free -- that was nice!
Attached Images

filippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #10
ProfessorLongArms

This is one I've been noodling on for a while, and very recently had a nice big reminder on.

On big surf days where I launch, there's always a non-zero chance of going over... Especially in an outback. We *never* launch with rods up. I also stow my reels in my square hatch.

I always take my reels off my rods since worse than breaking a rod is getting that super fine sand in your reel if you bail in the surf zone.

What do I do? I keep a bunch of those Nite Ize rubber twist ties handy, and lash all of my rods together. I pass the buts of my reels under the strap that holds my bait tank in place. Then I tie off at the handle mid-kayak. Then for extra measure, I have a velcro strap at the front of my kayak bolted on that the rod tips pass through.

On my Revo, I decided I didn't actually need that extra bit at the front, but it's a good extra measure.

Bungees? I don't trust 'em after losing a rod from the oar holder on a launch once. Assume the force from the launch will *really* pull on anything not thoroughly secured.

This is a timely post of course, as I just snapped my sabiki rod and a (thankfully)cheap turner's californian rod in half because everyone else had their rods up, it was a small surf day, and I got distracted and just plain effed up on a launch. My torium and my lexa are now in the capable hands of their respective manufacturers as they work to remove every last grain of sand they can at 40-50 bucks a pop.

Had I actually followed my own rule, I would have just been a bit soggy and sandy, and given it another pass.

I am very much tempted to try a rod pod one of these days. Thinking I might sell my scupper and get an older trident for just that on dive days.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:07 AM   #11
BenCantrell

I have a confession to make. Lately I've been doing all my landings backwards, and I've become so comfortable doing it that way that I've been leaving my rods in the rod holders.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #12
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
This is one I've been noodling on for a while, and very recently had a nice big reminder on.

On big surf days where I launch, there's always a non-zero chance of going over... Especially in an outback. We *never* launch with rods up. I also stow my reels in my square hatch.

I always take my reels off my rods since worse than breaking a rod is getting that super fine sand in your reel if you bail in the surf zone.

What do I do? I keep a bunch of those Nite Ize rubber twist ties handy, and lash all of my rods together. I pass the buts of my reels under the strap that holds my bait tank in place. Then I tie off at the handle mid-kayak. Then for extra measure, I have a velcro strap at the front of my kayak bolted on that the rod tips pass through.

On my Revo, I decided I didn't actually need that extra bit at the front, but it's a good extra measure.

Bungees? I don't trust 'em after losing a rod from the oar holder on a launch once. Assume the force from the launch will *really* pull on anything not thoroughly secured.

This is a timely post of course, as I just snapped my sabiki rod and a (thankfully)cheap turner's californian rod in half because everyone else had their rods up, it was a small surf day, and I got distracted and just plain effed up on a launch. My torium and my lexa are now in the capable hands of their respective manufacturers as they work to remove every last grain of sand they can at 40-50 bucks a pop.

Had I actually followed my own rule, I would have just been a bit soggy and sandy, and given it another pass.

I am very much tempted to try a rod pod one of these days. Thinking I might sell my scupper and get an older trident for just that on dive days.
This is fantastic info and very thorough explanation of how you tie them down, i appreciate it.

As far as the trident goes, as a previous trident owner, i can confirm that i would fit (2) spinning rods (7'-8' rods, bg4000, bg5000 sized reels) and (2) casting rods (a daiwa sealine 50H, and an avet sx5.3) in the hull with reels attached, and be able to retrieve them with ease out on the water. the older (pre '16 i think) had the big center hatch (wider) than the '16+ models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
I have a confession to make. Lately I've been doing all my landings backwards, and I've become so comfortable doing it that way that I've been leaving my rods in the rod holders.
I have seen some guys doing this, is it much easier than surfing in forwards? Maybe i will have to give this a shot.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
Old 03-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #13
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
I have seen some guys doing this, is it much easier than surfing in forwards? Maybe i will have to give this a shot.
Yeah, the sharp bow helps keeps you straight as the waves go past, and it's easy to make corrections with your paddle if you do start to turn one way or the other. If a really gnarly wave comes at you, paddle hard forward through it. When it calms back down you paddle backwards again. Eventually you feel the back of the boat hit sand. It's nice because at no point do you have to experience the "oh shit, I guess I'm surfing now".
Old 03-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
Pocoloco

backwards

learned that trick long ago after trying my first surf landing with my P.A.
expensive lesson
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #15
deptrai

Very interesting topic.

The problem isn't launching, its landing. I lived in SoCal and surf launched/landed from La Jolla to Dana Point to Malibu. Now I live in Oregon and face much more severe conditions at Pacific City. I've still only huli'd once up here. I lived here for three years before I even tried to launch.

I have the Hobie Horizontal Rod Holder. I actually only utilize the front part for my rod tips and secure the butt ends with a bungee cord. I can secure three rods this way. I use 7' rods and can't realistically store them in the hull. If landing conditions are nasty and I think there's a chance I'll eat sh*t, I will remove my reels, put them in a dry bag secure them to the yak before landing. I always launch with the rods upright in my PVC holder...no leashes and no pool noodles. Its just so much easier to launch than land. If the conditions aren't good enough for me to have confidence launching, then I don't. I've driven 1.5 hours to the coast twice and turned around and went home.

The coming in backwards is very intriguing. I've been meaning to try this, but just haven't yet. I have accidentally surfed waves in a couple of times and looked like a pro, but they were purely luck.

Dave
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #16
Saba Slayer

Old School method...

Before I joined the Hobie Team I paddled various versions of the Ocean Kayak boats for many years as a member of their fishing team...
Before they started adding rod pods I used these paddle/rod holders to hold my rods while surf launching...the reels went into a small waterproof dry bag and I assembled the gear once outside the breakers...
I mounted a strip of velcro under each side of the clips and used it to hold the rods on the yak in case of a spill...with these clips you can put the butt of one rod in each clip and the tip of the rod in the small clip on the side, and you can bundle a couple of other rods along side of the original two and hold em on with the velcro strips.
Attached Images

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 04-06-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #17
TJones

I have done it

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
2018 or lower years. I've done it many times with the reels attached. I also probably removed foam from inside to make it happen. I have always done tip first though, and when I would get to butt end of rod you have to really manipulate it or bend it slightly. all lures and lines should be wound up to reduce problems, and yes I have gotten the tips stuck a few times. I saw a post for measurements for new models and the hatch is narrower in width, but height remains the same. that leads me to believe that it could be done on the newer models? one thing to mention is that with the squeeze being so tight, don't be surprised if your rubber hatch seal comes unglued. hope this helps. my personally technique is to store rods and reels in a dry location like the hull when launching and landing. the ability to store rods should be a standard option when designing these things. JMO.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #18
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Before I joined the Hobie Team I paddled various versions of the Ocean Kayak boats for many years as a member of their fishing team...
Before they started adding rod pods I used these paddle/rod holders to hold my rods while surf launching...the reels went into a small waterproof dry bag and I assembled the gear once outside the breakers...
I mounted a strip of velcro under each side of the clips and used it to hold the rods on the yak in case of a spill...with these clips you can put the butt of one rod in each clip and the tip of the rod in the small clip on the side, and you can bundle a couple of other rods along side of the original two and hold em on with the velcro strips.
Nice, I like this method alot. Thanks for sharing.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
Old 04-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #19
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

When the landing is questionable I just remove the reel and drop into the front hatch. Then I zip tie the 2 or 3 rods next to me so the tip is not sticking out over the front. If I flip, no issues. Never flipped to date...but cant wait for the first time it happens. Its all part of the fun

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote