Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #21
kurt

Quote:
All you midwest people should go home
I always thought you native Californians should be forced to live in the Midwest for a winter so you learn to really, really appreciate it out here.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #22
esdees
The Good Clone

Nice post Tyler.

When I did this, I personally did not care for the cans with oil. Using water turned out a lot better IMO. For those who decide to give it a try, make sure you do it right. You need the pressure, heat, and time to kill off everything for long term storage. Eating improperly canned items after storing them for a while can be deadly.

Now where's my fish, Tyler?
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #23
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I will not bring home any t's til next year but I will experiment with small amounts then.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #24
John M

Tyler
Smart and Final also sells canning supplies.
I usually just do albacore with a fresh jalepeno cut into 1/4" thick pieces, kosher salt and bottled water.
Have done some with habenros, may be too hot for some but very tasty.
The cooking does mellow the heat of the peppers.
Have tried garlic but was not happy with that and I like garlic.
I use the pint jars for the fresh and 1/2 pint for smoked. If you do some smoked do not cook too long in smoker as canning will intensify the flavor and dry out too much.
I usually make tuna fish sandwiches with it. For a real treat get some good sour dough bread, sharp chedder, some red onions and make tuna melts. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
I also like to mix a pint of jalapeno with a 1/2 pint of smoked. Gives a light smoke flavor to the hole mix.
I started out with a small cooker that only did 8 pints at a time. Have since bought a larger cooker that will handle 16 pints. Now do both at the same time to increase production for time spent. Seems to take about 4 hours from start to finish, so it is nice to have a greater number done for the same amount of time.
My canner recomends to cook for 100 min after it has reached 10lbs. If you fall below the 10lbs you have to start the time all over.
It really is a great way to save your catch for later in the year. Usually have enough to have some all year long.
There used to be a business in Ramona that sells canning supplies. They were very helpful and willing to answer phone questions. I don't know if they are still in business.

John
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #25
Spinal Tap

I remember you talking about this last time I saw you on the water.

I've wanted to try that process on abalone. A buddy of mine says he does it and it comes out good. He just cuts chunks to fit a jar and says the results are very good. The abalone is very tender and it has an intense flavor of the sea. Next time my friends bring abalone down, I'll contact you.

I found jars at the big Albertsons on the Southeast corner of Balboa and highway 805.
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #26
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Thanks to Tyler, now I want to go buy a pressure canner.

Here are some useful canning resources.

U of Alaska-Fairbanks guide to fish canning

Fish canning guide from Sportfishing Canada

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/home/1.php

I got some seasoning ideas from G'day Gourmet - Australian Savory Canned Tuna. Curry, lemon pepper, chili, tomato-basil, tomato-onion, tomato salsa; all sound good. I'd like to try some tuna with Sriracha Sambal Oelek or a chili garlic sauce. I think an oily fish like bonito might be a good candidate for canning. I'd even be willing to try mackerel in a hot mustard sauce.

Here's one for canning smoked salmon: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...hing/26566.htm
Old 07-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #27
LeeQ125
Junior

pressure differences?

I have my grandma's "Freezing & Canning cookbook" from 1963, all of the meats listed are at 10 pounds of pressure. Some variations in time depending on what you're cooking and jar size, but it's only a 10 minute difference. No fish canning going on in that book, just fish freezing and curing.

No, I am not from the mid-west. The south, yes.

Lee
Old 07-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #28
dmr

Cool post Tyler. My Grandparents used to can fish all the time. I've got a multi-day trip coming up. I hope to can the results.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #29
T-Rex

Great write up Tyler.

The wife used to can jams and jellies years ago and we've still got lots of mason jars in the garage. Can't wait to give it a try!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #30
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Okay the results are in on the last batch of canned fish.

The yt, fire roasted diced jalapenos, kosher salt, pepper, and Daves Insanity Hotsauce came out pretty good. Still not as spicy as I would have liked, but there is some kick to it. Time to try habaneros next time. Goes great with mayo on toasted bread.

Albacore went well with the same ingredients.

BFT, oh wait I ate that one as sashimi .

YFT is supposed to can very well too, I just need some to try it out on.

I got another idea though, gonna try adding wasabi to a can and see what happens. That should add some kick.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #31
Siebler

Bonito cans VERY WELL. Ends up tasting better than albies IMO. Just bleed them out and get on ice. Clean them like albacore, peeling the skin and loin out.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #32
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboyc View Post
Bonito cans VERY WELL. Ends up tasting better than albies IMO. Just bleed them out and get on ice. Clean them like albacore, peeling the skin and loin out.
+1 On the canned bonito.

I had some poke on a long range trip, and asked the cook if it was blue fin.
He said it was the bonies that we had caught on the troll that morning.

It was awesome.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #33
Siebler

Ive had a lot of that reaction. We always grilled bonito on the boats. I always liked a nice bonito steak on a hamburger bun with a little mayo lettuce and tomato. Killer.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #34
john p.

Thanks for all the info. I have I guess the small one, probably a 7 qt.
I would like to try it with that one, but there is no gauge on it to read what the pressure is. Can tell by how fast the top is rocking back and forth? The pressure cooker is great for other things as well, artichokes are really good in it and you can add spices etc. Roasts, whole chicken, pork chops and more. I have 6 days on a L.A. Bay Tony Reyes trip followed by an albacore trip when I get back. Hopefully I'll need to do some canning
john p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #35
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by john p. View Post
I have 6 days on a L.A. Bay Tony Reyes trip followed by an albacore trip when I get back. Hopefully I'll need to do some canning
Good luck John.

I did a Reyes trip last September. We did real good on the forkies, and had
pretty cabrilla, and grouper results too. Some guys even scratch a few golden groupers.

Marco

Last edited by bajadog; 07-19-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: data
bajadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #36
Handymansd
Ancient Member

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/zip/761344955.html
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #37
john p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadog View Post
Good luck John.

I did a Reyes trip last September. We did real good on the forkies, and had
pretty cabrilla, and grouper results too. Some guys even scratch a few golden groupers.

Marco
Thanks Bajadog, We did one two years ago on the Angelina Celine.
Not the best operation and no longer running,but despite that still had a great time. I had one golden grouper last time, but The Capton said it had to be released due to some sort of superstition. We had lots of too many Humboldts. Cabrilla, Pargo and I caught 2 bsb on that trip. A lot of fishing time on these trips and a lot of bang for your buck. Website states they also have 6 kayaks aboard. Sorry to ramble on your canning thread Tyler
john p. is offline   Reply With Quote