Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Canning your own fish

For a long time I thought there was some great mystery or special equipment needed to can your own catch. Then last year I looked into it and discovered how easy it really is and tried it for the first time. I canned some albacore and yt and it came out great, and best part is it's easy and the actual prep doesn't take much time. There is a great thread on BD about it too but I don't feel like digging for it right now. I am borrowing heavily on that thread for this writeup, along with the canners instructions, and various google searches I did for canning fish.

Canning fish has some advantages over other storage methods. The fish once canned can be kept at room temperature, so it frees up freezer space. The fish is already seasoned and "cooked" and ready to go. The fish also lasts indefinitely, no freezer burn. For those like me that can only go albacore fishing a few times a year this is a great way to enjoy the catch year round.

Equipment needed:
Canner, basically a big pressure cooker. Cheap ~$60 for a smallish one.
Mason Jars, cheap, reusable except for the top. 1/2 pints are 12 for $6.
Fish
Spices, canned jalapenos, homemade seasoning, salsa, whatever goes good with fish.

Here is what I do. I am not an expert, I have only done this a few times but it worked for me...

I cut up raw fish. Stuff the fish into the jars. Widemouth jars are a bonus. Stuff fish into the jars until almost full. 1/2 pint jars seem to be a good size. Pint jars and bigger just seem like too big a serving of fish to open at once.

Add spices on top of the fish. I took a suggestion from the BD thread and used diced canned jalapenos for convenience. I also added some diced serrano peppers to some, Dave's insanity sauce to some jars and other variations. I'm still new at this and experimenting. I noticed the first time I did this that in the canning process the jalapenos lose their spiciness. Garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, or whatever else are all good ideas too. Plain comes out good too, but tastes just like plain tuna out of a commercial can.

Here are some jars ready to be capped along with the jalapenos I use in the foreground:

Some people say to add DI water to cover the fish in liquid, some don't. Some say to use olive oil or something else in the jar too. I have used water before and it came out fine. This time I am trying it without water as the fish has enough water and juice to cover itself in the cooking process.

Wipe the lips of the jars clean so they can get a good seal in the canner. I use a wet paper towel. The lids for the jars can only be used once. Add the lids and screw the ring on the jars, not tight, but snug. Load the canner. Do not put jars directly on the bottom of the canner. The second layer of jars can be stacked directly on the first, or a rack can be used.

Add water to the canner so the bottom layer of jars are about 3/4 submerged. Close up and put on the stove on high without the pressure ball on top. When steam starts coming out the vent, wait a few minutes and add the pressure ball. I have used 15 pounds of pressure on the ball, but have read of success with other settings. When up to pressure and the ball starts rocking, I let it cook for 90 minutes.

the loaded canner:

After 90 minutes I turn the heat off and wait for the pressure to equalize to open the canner. I take the jars out when still hot and leave them on the counter. They should start to ping or pop, signaling they are sealing. After they are all done I tap on the top of all of the jars to make sure they sealed. The ones that sound different didn't seal. They need to be refrigerated and eaten within a couple days. The ones that sealed can be kept for a long time. When cool I retighten all the rings to make sure the jars stay sealed.

Here is a finished one from tonight:

The finished product can look kind of disgusting, but it really is good. My favorite ways of eating the finished product is to drain out the liquid and mix with mayo for a sandwich, or to add the fish ontop of a salad, or to mix with salsa and use as a dip with chips.

The big fear I had in canning the first time last year was it is something that mandates being done in large batches, and I didn't want to screw up most of my albacore catch in one botched canning. I didn't. It really is easy and better than store bought canned tuna. I have also canned yt and it came out great. I want to try a single jar of wsb just to see, but I haven't caught one of those since last year.

If anyone has any suggestions on canning, or any recipes post up.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I'd like to try canning fish sometime. Tuna in olive oil is a classic canning method in Italy. I would try tuna with roasted garlic, red peppers and herbes de Provence.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
madscientist

Tyler, how much do you charge?

Looks good. Should have told me you wanted to try WSB.

Any way we can do it at camp next trip? Give us something to do besides (edit: while) drinking.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Actually I never thought of doing it while camping and didn't think of wsb until tonights round. It wouldn't be too tough to do while camping. A propane burner for a turkey fryer would be a must as it needs to be at pressure for 90 minutes unbroken, plus the 30 or so minutes it takes to get to a boil and pressurize.

Doug, from my limited experience I don't think olive oil is necessary as tuna and yt have enough oil in them already. I did try one jar with oil last year and it was no better than with water. I like your classic ingredient list. I'll try that one this weekend if all goes well tuna fishing.

And for all the text above it is as simple as adding fish and seasoning into a jar and putting it into a pressure cooker or canner for the desired time.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:17 AM   #5
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Right on....Tyler.

I canned about 10 half pints of my albie Sunday.

Used pesto in a few, and sun dried tomatoes in a few.

Tasty stuff.

Last edited by bajadog; 07-01-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: lost an S
bajadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadog View Post
Used pesto in a few ...
That sounds like a good idea too. I hope I can try that out soon. I am trying to can a variety of different ways so it doesn't all come out tasting the same. It would get boring eating jalapeno canned tuna for 6 months.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
aguachico

Good job Ty. The albies are chewing up the line. Your place can be 'canning central".
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:15 AM   #8
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Awesome Tyler! Thanks for the information and courage to do this myself.I will have to do that next year with all that Thresher that filled my freezer this year. MMMM.... some roasted garlic, sun dried tomatoes, and topped with just a drop of liquid smoke... Man I'm hungry.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Chuck, I don't know if I would do thresher shark. Maybe do a test can first so you don't waste it if it doesn't work. Shark is something that doesn't seem like it would can well to me, but I am just guessing and haven't tried it myself. If you try it let us know how it comes out, good or bad.

edit>
Just thinking about it I would guess shark would need some olive oil. Maybe do a few test cans with different ingredients to try and find if one works.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
steamroll

Right on Tyler. This was a cool read!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
Dan

old school!

are you from the midwest?!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #12
Useful Idiot

Where'd you get the canner from? Can I use my g/f's pressure cooker?

That's something I've wanted to try as well.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
lamb

Very cool Tyler!

I've got to try it... I guess I need to catch some fish first.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #14
bajadog
I eats what I kills

I think thresher has a lower fat content in the meat than tuna (sorry for the obvious here). You might need to add some fat to the jars (a couple of table spoons of olive oil).
Old 07-01-2008, 08:48 AM   #15
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Brian, you can use any pressure cooker as long as it is high enough pressure. I think some guys cook them at 10 pounds instead of 15 like I do. I don't know what difference it makes. The big pressure cookers are sold specifically as "pressure canners." A small one just can't fit that many jars and are mainly used just for cooking. You just have to make sure there is a small metal rack or something on the bottom so the jars are not right on the bottom of the canner or they will supposedly crack.

I absolutely hate walmart, but they carry canners and jars. About the only place I know to get the jars in SD. Not all walmarts even carry the canning jars and lids. I know the one on Aero drive did last year, and the one off the 805 in Clairemont has the stuff. The one near lemon grove did not have the canning equipment as of last year. If anyone knows a better place to get supplies post up. I am sure you can get stuff online, but I am too impulsive and hate the wait when I have fresh fish.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #16
dorf

Very cool.
I'm printing this page.
Now all I need is to catch some fish.
Can't can SKUNK.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #17
Zed
BANNED

Nice!

From last season, I seal-a-mealed all the prime loins of albacore and rossman canned all the end pieces. Ended up with 58 cans of albacore for the year. Just water salt and albacore.

I don't know if I'd can thresher or any shark. That urea/uric acid may not end up well in the can/jar. Try like tyler said and do some test jars w/ various ingredients. But don't ask me to guinea pig it. Ha.

Midwest? So what?
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #18
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Nice!

From last season, I seal-a-mealed all the prime loins of albacore and rossman canned all the end pieces...

Midwest? So what?
That is another bonus of canning. The end pieces that aren't really good for the bbq or much else work great. Even if you butcher the fish instead of get nice filets it doesn't matter. You just hack up your nice filets anyway and stuff them in the jar. Just make sure to trim out all the dark bloodline meat and bones and it's good to go.

I ain't from the midwest. I'm from SD. All you midwest people should go home lol . Thanks to the rednecks for teaching us to preserve food though .

Old 07-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #19
Corey

Used to can veggies & fruits from the garden w/ my mom & grandma as a kid. Thanks for posting this up.

I used to have a customer in Sunset Beach that would always bring me home canned albacore w/ jalapenos. It made the best tuna salad. Next batch of Albie I get, I thnk I'll can some.

Now I gotta go get ready to go back to the midwest.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #20
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Now I gotta go get ready to go back to the midwest.
Don't forget to bring your Geraniums into the basement for winter!

hha ah ah ahahah
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote