Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
pbb

Oxnard?

I'm going to be up in Oxnard for the thanksgiving week, near the beach.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to bring kayak(s)?

Specifically would it be worth bringing my Revo to really fish (and if so where -closer than Malibu)?

Or the other option would be to bring the Kona tandem and let the family screw around in the harbor, and see I could find a few spotties (when they aren't using it. (Note how this has the advantage of seeming altruistic).

Any advice? Anyone in the area looking for some company on the water?
Old 11-24-2014, 12:15 AM   #2
momo fish

Launch from channel island hatbor and head south from there to fish break wall and canyon for bottom fishing. Not as great as Malibu but still fun none the less. Easy launch from this small parking lot called kiddie beach.

Good luck and have fun.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
momo fish

Btw Malibu is only 15 minutes away. May be worth fishing it of your able to. I know everytime I'm in San Diego for any reason I try to fish 😊
Old 11-24-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
pbb

Thanks momo fish. Can one launch from Channel View park? (We are staying North of the Harbor, but not hard to drive around to kiddie beach.

If I go to Malibu, where should I launch and fish?

I think of it as further away, as I used to work in Santa Monica, and if I ever came from SM to Ventura County, it was during rush hour.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
momo fish

You can if you want to throw your kayak down a 5 foot rock wall 😊. Right across from there is kiddie beach with sandy access point and parking. Can't get any easier.

If you head to malibu go to Leo Carrillo and you can fish south in the kelp for bottom and halibut or take your shot at yellows by heading north towards bait grounds. Only concern is when the wind picks up it gets nasty at Leo which is why kite surfers love that beach. Best to stay close to launch.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
You can if you want to throw your kayak down a 5 foot rock wall 😊. Right across from there is kiddie beach with sandy access point and parking. Can't get any easier.

If you head to malibu go to Leo Carrillo and you can fish south in the kelp for bottom and halibut or take your shot at yellows by heading north towards bait grounds. Only concern is when the wind picks up it gets nasty at Leo which is why kite surfers love that beach. Best to stay close to launch.
I'll definitely skip the 5 foot rock wall.

I hear the Santa Anas have been pretty nasty at Leo Carillo. Like 50 mph nasty: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...283637131.html

I'm not sure if I'm going to get it together to bring the kayaks & fishing gear. In addition to just getting out the door with the family, and gathering all my gear, it would involve me installing the rack for the first time on our Mazda 5, which would involve stealing the Thule crossbars from the rack on my Corolla.

But we'll see. I appreciate the info you've provided, whether I make it out this time or not.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
captnblood34

Making the same trip to see the in laws for Thanksgiving. I usually just bring my dive stuff and hit up the jetty's with a spear gun. I never brought the yak just because its inconvenient. I'll be diving the VTA Harbor breaker if conditions are in my favor and definitely the structure at silver strand. PM if interested. Good luck all.

J
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
pbb

I ended up just bringing a spinning pole and a couple of jigs. Caught this short sandie from the dock by the Whale's Tail restaurant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1417377536847.jpg (41.6 KB, 73 views)