Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

WSB stones

How to get the stones out of a wsb head

I only have 2 sets of stones from wsb. The rest I never retrieved because I was too lazy or turned the head in to Hubbs. There are 3 methods for getting the stones out.

1. Donate the head to Hubbs. Then on the tag that you attach to the head make sure to make a note that you want the stones back. They will mail them to you free of charge . Most landings will take the heads for you. Probably the easiest way but it takes a couple weeks to get the stones back.

2. The stones can be found by splitting the head open with a meat cleaver down the middle. A hatchet works good, or a hammer and chisel. No joke. Split the head in half from the top between the eyes. Feel around in the compartments behind the eyes. Sorry, no pics of this one. Down side is you often break the stones trying to get them out.

3. Cut away some of the gills and soft tissue on the roof of the mouth of the seabass. Be careful as the gills can cut up your hands bad. Then use an expendable but sturdy knife to break open the bone cavity underneath. Use your fingers to get the stones out. Down side to this method is you can break the stones trying to get them like this too. Here is a picture showing exactly where they are with the cavity already broken open:

The knife tip is in the cavity with the stones. Feel around with your fingers or tweezers and pull them out. Breaking into the cavity might break a weak knife. That is why a crappy expendable knife is good. This method requires less brute force than #2.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Stones???

OK, I guess I will be the one to ask the question that many others are probably asking after reading this post. What are "stones" and why would you want them. While you are answering that question, please answer this one. Why does Hubbs want WSB heads?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
fishkiller89
Junior

Send a message via AIM to fishkiller89 Send a message via Yahoo to fishkiller89
dont know the answer to the stones but when the wsb are released by hubbs they get a information chip imbeded in their head. when you catch one your suppose to cut the head off and return it so they can use the information to do their research
Old 07-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

The stones are sometimes kept as trophies. People often make a necklace or bracelet out of them. I know one angler that has a small drybox full. Just a cool keepsake from a cool fish.

Hubbs has a wsb hatchery. They grow and release hundreds of juvie wsb each year to try and help the fish stocks . All hatchery fish have a tag in the head. They want you to return fish heads so they can see if it's one of theirs. The tag is so small we would never find it, you need their special scanner. Most of the hatchery fish caught by anglers are on the small side if I remember right.

google hubbs hatchery for more info. A hatchery tour is very worthwhile.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

The stones are actually called otoliths, and are bones located in the neural canals of the fishes brain. They can be used to determine age of the fish, and possibly the life history of the animal. But really they are just cool,

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
lamb

Cool write up Tyler!

Senor Jose techniques are being ethernalized!

On turning in WSB heads - Hubbs / Seaworld Research Institute has been releasing hatchery raised WSB for years. Great program with some amazing results. They tag all the fish they release, and recovering those tags provides a ton of cool info for the scientists.

http://www.hswri.org/research/resear...m.cfm?reaID=27
http://www.projectpacific.org/whiteseabass.html

On stones, I was going to say google "wsb stones"... ...but then I realized that this page comes up on the top...

The stones are otholits, or ear-stones... They are made out of calcium. Fisherman often collect them as the a trophy catch souvenir. I believe all fish have otholits, and their size varies from one species to another. Croakers seem to have big ones. The bigger the croaker, the bigger the stones. Ear stones are internal organ that help fish keep the balance.

The stones are frequently used by scientist in aging study. Although the Hobbs / Seaworld Research folks will never advertise they'd like to have the stones from your turned in WSB head knowing fishermen keep it as trophy, they would love the opportunity to examine them. By looking at the calcium layers in otholits they can determine the exact age of the fish. Tim was telling me that last year one of the spearos turned in WSB head of 72 pounder. Based on otholits layers, they determined the fish was just 20 and some years old, which was contrary to what they used to believe. They were estimating that size fish would be more like 30 years old. They keep learning about WSB, and we can help by turning their heads in - hopefully so they could find the tag... Or by analyzing the stones, if you're willing to let them have it. Again, they will never ask, no worries that they will try to keep the stones unless you let them.

Please do turn your heads in whenever you can. They need our help.

Personally, I have not been keeping the stones last few years. I will keep 'em only if I ever end up catching WSB bigger than the Mother of all Lamb.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
lamb

Here's a pic for Tyler, he hasn't seen it in a while.

The Mother is saying hi...

Old 07-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
madscientist

One more reason to talk to and befriend the Baja locals. I remember when Jose first showed us that trick. I've gotten pretty good at the head split method so I'll stick with that until I get a personal demo of the other method.

Otoliths are basically calcified snot. Then again, so is a pearl.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Zed
BANNED

You do realize the actual catching of said fish takes far longer than finding the ear bones or even typing/reading this post.

Might as well be a how-to on African Elephant tusk removal.
Step one:
Find an African elephant in SoCal...
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
bajadog
I eats what I kills

I had it all wrong I figured the WSB stones would have been some type
of Asian aphrodisiac ....
Old 07-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Might as well be a how-to on African Elephant tusk removal.
Step one: Find an African elephant in SoCal...

So true!!
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
Corey

Another good and easy way, which I learned from the guys at Hubbs, is to take a hacksaw and cross-section the head right behind the eyes. This exposes both pockets which contain the stones. Then you can just stick your finger in and pull them out.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #13
h2ofishfo

well if i find 1 this year and i mean if!!! ill find it w/my teeth just for the full experience. my snot fortune cookie
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote