Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
sterling

Imperial Beach launch

Does anybody know the fishing grounds off IB? How is it there to launch? My friend wants to go get some turd rollers, how far is the 1/2 day boats location from the IB pier?
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Sometimes the is manageable. I went to Border State Park and the State Beach on the Silver Strand this afternoon and the surf wasn't bad at either. That's not always the case. Everything would need to be stowed and surf experience would be very helpful. It's been years since I fished for turd rollers down there and I'm not really familiar with the hot spots. There used to be some kelp off the pier and a little farther south, but I don't know what sort of shape its in now. Try 32° 34.25'N, 117° 08.54'W
Old 07-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
ibbeerbum
Junior

I hit one of the half day boats for the sandies. It looked like we were on the mexico border line and about 4-5 miles out. I live down in I.B. and it looks like you can make it out between the rock jettiyes at the end of palm ave. Still could be a nice paddle out with decptive waves.
ibbeerbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
bjoseph
Junior

On Tuesday the sport boats were fishing way south of the border on the Flats in 105' of water. We looked around the IB kelp which is the biggest I have ever seen. It is straight out from the pier. We saw a lot of marks, but picked up no fishes.
bjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
bluesquids

Here's tracking info for the TJ river plume. Pollution levels aren't so bad right now. Sometimes the plume reaches almost to the tip of Point Loma, even without a rainstorm.
http://www.sdcoos.org/data/tracking/IB/index.php
Old 07-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
dniss

Seems like a long paddle to get to where the fleet's slaying the sandies right now. I'll be there on a PB tomorrow and let you know what it's like.
On a side note, last Labor Day I saw a yakker land a gigantic (probably 45#) WSB just outside the surf at the Strand. There were thousands of birds working and bait popping everywhere (even in the surf) that day. I'd like to give it a try, but definitely would stow everything, surf can get crunchy there, even if it's dinky on the way out.
dniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Rusty

Put it this way. The sporties are much closer to the 'Nados than TJ, and much closer to TJ than the IB Pier... At least as of Friday when I was there. That's a long way to paddle for TJ Turd Rollers.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote