Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #21
bluesquids

[quote=aguachico;21536]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post

this isn't thru hull.
I was just thinking about general adhesion properties.
I just finished some reinforcements to the inside of a hull.
After the plastic weld to a crack I used goop on some strap webbing like a band aide. Gonna glue another plastic stint over that.
I went with goop mostly because it's seems not as messy when poking around inside the hull.
Tip- if you need to do a small reinforcement like a rivet or something, in a hard to reach area. Put a glob of goop on a square of sandwich baggie plastic and stick it where you want. It wont run all over the place and you just slap it up...no mess.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #22
Habu

Tried goop but while curing in 75 deg temp filled with bubbles signal quality was lousy. went with ace's 2-part epoxy been happy ever since (4 yrs) Have also heard of instead of water too use vaseline to temp mount transducer.
Habu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #23
bajadog
I eats what I kills

How about RTV?

Mine is still on after almost 14 months.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #24
Grego

I heard if you mix 4200, 5200, 5200 fast cure, epoxy, marine goop, plumbers goop, vaseline, RTV silicone, and add a little water with a sprinkle of foam you get the bestest reading and bond.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #25
One Rev

Hot glue works great for me.

Mike
One Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #26
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
I heard if you mix 4200, 5200, 5200 fast cure, epoxy, marine goop, plumbers goop, vaseline, RTV silicone, and add a little water with a sprinkle of foam you get the bestest reading and bond.
You forgot mucus.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #27
Kevin

I've used both marine goop and two part epoxy. By far two part epoxy gives you a better picture. Its not even close. The key is how you install it. Marine goop is just too soft and dampens the sonar quite a bit.

Get some adhesive putty and create a well for the epoxy. The epoxy will cure thinner and get brittle if it is allowed to spread out. Creating the well gives you a thicker section. I'm sure there are a lot of other brands but I've used ACE two part epoxy for plastic and it works perfectly. No oil canning and I've never had the transducer pop off. And I've taken some long road trips (including off road) up to the sierra's with my kayak on top. Never had a problem.

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:02 AM   #28
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

I'm just getting ready to mount a humminbird transducer (one of the quad beam units) in my revo and this is a great post however -

now I'm totally confused - - these things are too big to hang over the side so internal 'tween the masthead and the drive well seems the best option.

i only want to have to do this once - will having the Goop warmed help eliminate bubbles? When i put some weights in my pedals to keep them upright, it seemed to flow pretty well and was not too thick.

i'd heard one only gets one shot at this with the transducer itself, after that, you have to end up using the water bath to get a clear picture thru the hull or hang it over the side cause you cant get all the goop off the unit and then you'll be dealing with the bubbles thing when reattaching.

My backup thought was to just build a reservoir, surrounding the area with foam - say 1 1/2" high and Goop the foam into place, C-clamp the transducer with it's mounting bracket to the mast post and set it against the bottom of the hull, fill the reservoir with Perrier and use that way - might work well with minimal maintainence and the transducer is easily removable and reusable - then drink the remainder of the Perrier.

I usually transport the Revo top up so I'm not worried about water in the internals - I figure if I ever got in the position that the water came out of the reservoir while out in the ocean, using my fish finder wouldn't necessarily be at the top of my list of things to be worrying about - - - -

Last edited by Montesdad; 07-11-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Montesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #29
deeberdave

I went for the foam block shaped for the transducer,gooped to the inside of the hull press in transducer just add two tablespoons of water and your in business,no fuss no muss! This works great so far and is clean and easy to remove if necessary.
deeberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #30
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
This is why Grego catches so many fish!!

Seriously though, everybody has an opinion. Don't be confused by all the different methods. I have used all of the mentioned ways at one time or another. I even mounted a transducer like a rudder to get a good reading once (I don't recommend that one though ).. In the end, they can all work. some methods may give a little better picture due to densities and other considerations. However, more importantly, is that you get a good "clean" mount (no bubbles). Make sure the kayak is level when applying any adhesives, and be sure that it does not move until it is set. Epoxies will be difficult to remove from your transducer, but goop can be easily removed for another shot if you mess it up. Roughing the surface of the kayak and transducer slightly with sandpaper is helpful to maintain good adhesion with goop and some epoxies. If one method does not work for you, then try the next!

Good luck!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #31
rotten

I just use clear silicone caulking, seems to work good enough
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #32
sbsyncro

I've been using a blob of vaseline for about a year now with no problems. I had to re-do it once because something got loose in the hull and knocked my transducer loose.

I wedged a section of pool noodle above the xducer to hold it in place. Not perfect, but I can't make up my mind where to mount it permanently. I have the slow-cure epoxy all ready to go and everything... :-)
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote