Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

My Latest Hobie Revo Mod

As I get to know my Hobie Revolution, I find much to praise but still a few shortcomings. Today I came up with a way to fix one of the problems that has bothered me since I first set this kayak in the water.

While there is plenty of storage space in the Revolution, the only space that is easily accessable while on the water is the area serviced by the center hatch cover. Unfortunately, this area is basically a big open tub. Due to the limiation of the hatch size, you can only reach so far into this opening. In addition, since there are no baffles to keep stuff from sliding from bow to stern, you never know where the things you try to store here will end up.

In addition, I have found that the seals on the hatch covers are not very good so after a surf launch, there is usually a little water in the bottom of the boat and anything that is just set on the plastic usually gets soaked with water.

The solution... create some storage trays that can only move within the center hatch space. Make these trays sit above any standing water and allow for drainage should any water get splashed into the trays.

The project was easy. It took about ten minutes and cost less than $6.

I have posted some photos below.

The first photo shows the the plastic trays I picked up at Target for a couple bucks each.

The second photo shows the optional drain holes drilled into the bottom of each tray.

Photo 3 shows holes drilled into the sides of the trays to allow for the zip ties to bind them together in the final step.

Photo 4 shows the trays being inserted into the kayak, one at a time. It is a tight fit but these trays bend easily and can be forced through the opening.

Photo 5 The trays are in the compartment and holes for the zip ties are aligned.

The last photo shows the trays with the zip ties attach. The tails were trimmed later.

I have not yet tried this system on the water but I believe that it will be the solution to my annoying storage problems.

I have a couple more interesting Revo mods to share with everyone. Stay tuned for the trolling bar with rod holders and the removable rod holder setup that installs in the Hobie cup holder.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Containers-sm.jpg (31.4 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg Drain-holes-sm.jpg (29.2 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg Holes-Drilled-SM.jpg (26.7 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg Inserting-trays-sm.jpg (46.6 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg Trays-in-kayak-sm.jpg (57.1 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg Joining-Trays-sm.jpg (54.7 KB, 479 views)
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
BWE
Administrator

Simple, cheap and easy.

Thanks for sharing!!!
BWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
sdcityboy

sounds cool Bob. i put pool noodles in thru that center hatch and put it in a U shape,one at front and one at rear, now nothing slides out of reach. now if you can find any purpose for the rear hatch please let me know.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Noodles

I tried the noodles before coming up with this idea. Noodles work but do not address the problem of keeping small items within reach. They also do not address the problem of keeping things relatively dry.

I think that this is a better solution. As for the stern hatch, I think that it is just a cosmetic feature. I use it as an access point when I wash out my kayak and need to wipe up the remaining water. These trays would work just as well there and they might provide a good place to store a battery or something like that.

Bob
Old 07-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
savage

Thanks for the info.
savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
THE DARKHORSE

Yeah but.............

I kinda like the possability of a can of beer dissapearing on May 18th , to show up a month and a half later (when I really needed it) . Thanks for sharing your ideas.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
hobieuser

I haven't used the rear hatch much...SDCITYBOY, any practical ideas?
hobieuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieuser View Post

I think that I will create the same storage system in the rear hatch that I now have in the center hatch and move my Fish Finder battery to that location. It is currenly in the front hatch. It will get bounced around less and may stay drier.

BTY, I have found a problem with the way I had my fish finder set up. I had the power cable connected to the battery all the time. When I disconnected my FF, the power cable just set in the kayak bottom, sometimes in water. Well, since there was power connnected to the cable, it drained the batteries and caused the terminal pins to rot away.

Even though this is my fault, Hummingbird is sending me a new power cable. I plan to rework the setup so the power is shut off when my kayak is just sitting unused. I will also try to figure out a way to keep the power connector plugs out of the water.

Bob
Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Joe11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieuser View Post
I use one of those Hobie tackle trays in the rear hatch and put my wallet, truck keys, etc. Small stuff I don't need on the water but don't want to leave behind either.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
Billy V

It would be a good mod for keeping those slippery Plano tackle boxes from sliding away.

I use 3 dry bags of various sized inside that hatch. A Small, Med, Large bag to hold stuff.

Nice to see new ideas.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
sdcityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
I use one of those Hobie tackle trays in the rear hatch and put my wallet, truck keys, etc. Small stuff I don't need on the water but don't want to leave behind either.
ah, my next purchase
Old 07-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #12
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Great idea Bob.

Can any of you get to the rear hatch while yaking?
Old 07-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #13
dorf

Great idea. I have the Hobie trays and was wondering if they would fit with this mod?
Currently my son uses the rear hatch when he rides along with me to store his snacks. He is getting big enough for his own ride now so I will have to find a better use for it. I like the idea of moving the battery to the back. Would keep other things I put up front from any accidental disconnect. Keep the ideas coming. I have a few I am working on and will share when I have the bugs worked out.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The Hobie Tray will not fit in the center hatch after installing this mod. I never liked the Hobie tray anyway. It is too small to be very useful. I will be moving mine to the stern hatch and installing the fish finder battery there.

Bob
Old 07-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
beerman
Junior

Yours is a common problem to most of us. I solved it by installing adhesive backed velcro (Technically called "hook and loop"bought from McMaster Carr supply) strips longwise down the inside of the hull. Ive bonded the other to the bottom of my water proof Plano tackleboxes,and then another strip in the top of the large boxes and the bottom of the smaller boxes so they stack on top of each other.I usually only use two ,but have stacked two on the left,two on the right. This works outstanding. I do have to rebond or replace the strips after a season or two.Wallmart is a good cheap source of waterproof boxes. Just my 2 cents.
beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
aclozer

Outstanding

I love this post. Sometimes we make it harder than it is. This looks simple and effective.
aclozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #17
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Followup Report

I went fishing today with this tray in my kayak. In general, I think the thing worked quite well. Everything that I put in the tray was easily accessable and stayed dry. I put all my tackle in those resusable plastic containers from ZipLock. The trays hold about eight of these containers. The problem was that I usually had to take most the containers out to find what I was looking for because they all looked alike.

This is not a big deal but I suspect that there is a better way to organize things in these trays. Maybe I need to color code the containers or somehow label each one so they are easy to recognize.

Until next time.

Bob
Old 07-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

I have two similar trays in my Revo loosely zip tied together to hold my misc. stuff (food, rope, fishing tackle trays, even holds my travel coffee mug - always nice to enjoy some hot coffee and a croissant while peddeling out to the fishing areas)

by having them loosely zip tied together, my center bucket fits just fine if I slide the trays off center a few inches. One can shave or cut the sides of the trays down a half inch or so if necessary for a better fit for the Hobie bucket.

Bob - nothing wrong with taking a magic marker and labeling the lids of your tupperware -

I have a larger Tupperware container in my front hatch to hold my battery, dry bag, fish finder etc. when not installed - not too hard to get in there and once it's in, keeps stuff from sliding around

Last edited by Montesdad; 07-13-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Montesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:20 AM   #19
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Montesdad is that a PVC fish finder mount?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:06 AM   #20
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

Yes - PVC

$3.00 worth of parts and some spare schedule 40 1/2" PVC - the mounting plate is an old plastic cutting board I used to use for cutting up fish.

The pipe did go all the way to the bottom of the mast tube but it was way too long so now it only goes in about 3-4". The unit was a little long for storing easily for going and coming in the surf - now, works just fine.

I put an o-ring on the post up near the top where it touches the top of the mast tube so it helps keep it from moving - the post is snugged up with some black electricians tape at the top and the bottom of the post so it's fairly tight but goes in and comes out easily. Borrowed the design from all the others I've seen.

made the bungee -

Montesdad is offline   Reply With Quote