Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
ctfphoto

My first two years of kayak fishing …. Goals Accomplished

So I bought a kayak two years ago with the main reasons being fun and photography. Our family had just bought a Costco 2 seater a month earlier. Now the whole family of 4 can go out on the water together. Sweet.

I really like launching in La Jolla (all the wildlife) and started noticing the fishing kayaks and thought to myself, hmmm.

Talked with a few fisherman at the launch and decided that I wanted to try out this cool sport. (I have fished most of my life but had not for many years)

I go to some tackle shops, pick up some stuff, talk with some people and I'm ready. I think , anyway.

So my first trip out, big swell, tying knots as I'm looking down and……………………………….. you guessed out, chum time…..

I think to myself, this is actually cool as I am the captain of my own boat and I can go in right now as I have seasickness, which never happens on a party boat.

Get in and my day is wrecked. Down but not out.

Go to some more tackle shops talk with more people and everyone says to use "the patch"

All I can say is that the Patch works 100% of the time in the last 2 years in the ocean.

So I start fishing trying out different areas, see a great white, no biggie.

I end up liking La Jolla by far over all the other areas. It is also the closest body of saltwater to my house at 23 miles.

I concentrate on rock fish and bass. I catch loads of all type of bottom fish (no halis). I target sheepshead with shrimp and limit. A few nice sized one too.

I do this for the first year. Always saw these other guys fishing for bigger fish, but never getting them. I'm thinking, geez, I catch fish all the time.

First year anniversary of kayak fishing and I am getting bored of catching rockfish and kelp bass.

I decide to take it up notch and go buy a bait tank.

Within the first week of having a bait tank, I catch my first ever white sea bass and I get hooked on going after bigger fish.

I keep trying for bigger fish and learning all the time by being on the water and talking with other kayak fisherman on the water.

I get in the middle of a couple close to wide open yellowtail bites during the late summer / fall of 2012. People all around me catch yt's but I fail to hook up. Lessons learned tho.

Lobster season opens and I am all over it. Previous year I got 2 legals on the yak. This new season brings me 26 legals with one being in the 3-4 pound range, and limiting in one night. Goal accomplished.

Back to fishing, I see some nice halibut being caught so I know they are around.

I target Halibut and get a 21 1/2 incher and then my first legal halibut at 26 inches on my first day using live anchovies. Goal accomplished.

I try again with a friend and we get skunked except for a fat sand bass.

I try again and this time the bait barge was out of anchovies so I tried sardines, bigger bait, bigger fish right?

I catch a 28 inch halibut in 13 feet of water, sweet., targeting works.

Late winter early spring I go to chasing yellowtail. Go on quite a few trips.

I only catch by catch, that being my largest ever Calico and Sand Bass. Wow making a lot of person bests in the last few months.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I got out and see a few yellowtails here and there caught.

Super fast forward to a week ago Tuesday …….

I get to the launch site at 5:30 as I do most tuesdays and hmmm, this tuesday 20 yakkers on the beach or in the water …

I talk with a fisherman who said he got 3 YTs the day before. wow.

As I am paddling out I see another yakked who had not caught a YT yet. I point to him and tell him he will catch one, he does. Almost everyone around me catches one but I get skunked.

Bites over and I go in thinking I have to come back tomorrow. I do.

I get out there on wed with the masses. I see some YTs being hooked up. Then I see a guy in a rental kayak and a fishing pole paddle by me. I look and tell him that he will catch a YT today. He is hooked up within 15 mins on frozen squid and lands a nice fish as I was by his side. Geeez. wow. He thanks me over and over again..

I get skunked and go in and decide that I have to try one more day, I have never kayak fished 2 days in a row and now I was going for 3.

Thursday a week ago, ………………

I am on the beach at O dark thirty and start talking with a guy with a private boat. I start telling him about the story about the guy in the rental kayak when he stops me and says, "dude, that was me"

We crack up, he thanks me again and tells me how I will catch a YT today, then they motor off to the squid grounds.

I get out to the grounds and make plenty of squid. I see my new friend in the pb fishing and he hooks up. I see him and his buddy hook up a few more times and am just shaking my head,

And then …………… zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz goes the clicker on one of my poles …. I'm like wow, I have a yellowtail … disengage clicker ….. Flip the switch and bendo goes my rod, finally I am thinking.

Then my line gets wrapped up with another kayak fisherman and I'm like dude, can you please cut your line as this is my first YT. He's like " why should I cut off my fish", then I say, " oh, sorry dude, I did not know that you had a fish on too" We worked together and got untangled .

Got to go for my sleigh ride. Got to gaff a Big Yellowtail. Goal Accomplished. In fact that was my goal for the year. Pressure is off, now I get to have fun fishing ……

I want to thank all of you who gave me encouragement, advice, and tips out on the water or on the beach. You guys are great!

See you all on the water ………...
Attached Images

Last edited by ctfphoto; 08-04-2013 at 09:07 AM.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
RobFish
Massive Member

Very cool post Chris.
Stoked for you on your first YT!
WSB? Check
Halibut? Check
Lobsters? Check
YT? Check
What's next? Going after that GWS you saw?
Old 08-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Bigfish92084

Awesome write-up. I am starting my first year and boy am I excited.
Maybe I will see you out at LJ some day. I am eagerly awaiting my first surf launch.
Bigfish92084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Cbad Mike

Thanks for the post Chris. I've seen you out there over the last year putting your time in and I'm glad it paid off in such good ways. Josh Pruett once told me that you might catch one the first time out or it could take fifty times. Like you I put in a lot of time otw before popping the YT cherry and I think you'll agree that all those hours trying sure does make that first one very special.
Congratulations

Last edited by Cbad Mike; 08-02-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
dngayan
Junior

Cool report! Congrats!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Awesome story Chris!

Thursday was pretty awesome.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Deamon

Dude...! I was feeling your pain last Tuesday. For you to keep going out putting in your time definitely paid off. Awesome photo. Well done! Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
PE.rider

It's good to see one's accomplishments over a period of time. It reminds us of our own personal growth.

The hard part now is setting the new goals... Have fun and Tight Lines!
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Super nice, what's in store for next month and year? Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Dirty Curti

Great story, Keeps the rest of us virgins hoping that day will come to us. Looking forward to being able to write a story like that.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
ctfphoto

Thanks guys, I know most all of you.

New goals, well bigger WSB and I guess a double on the Yellowtail.

I still have never caught a lingcod nor shark, (besides sand shark)

I guess really it's just about the fun and exercise.

Having the freshest of fish is always a good goal.

A close second is packing freezer with great quality fresh caught fish.

Here is my PB Halibut I never posted while the hali bite was on a few months back ....
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Dannowar

Awesome man. I have wsb repellent seeping through my pores I think. Stoked in your completion!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

You have a great attitude towards fishing and you have been blessed for it! Well done!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
carbonbass

Awesome job Chris! I fished with you on an offshore paddy trip last year, I dont remember exactly which boat it was but I believe we were scratching rats with a few yft mixed in, it may have even been a 3/4 day. I was wearing the kelp clothing sheepshead shirt and you were telling me about your sheepshead story. I got my first YT in february. I was one of the lucky few who, after 5-6 trips to LJ landed a very nice fish, and it was on iron to boot. Similar story the yellows would breeze through in wolf packs and 6-8 yaks/pb's would hook up at once. The bite went like this for about 2 hours in the early AM and I was drooling watching some of the better yakkers nailing fish with me not getting struck, thinking I guess I just cant fish the iron. Well I left the pack of fisherman to a degree, paddling about 50 yards off the plastic fleet. Sure enough when I thought the bite had already died, a small flurry of about 3 hookups happened again, and I was one of the lucky ones. The best part was that Andy at OEX had sold me the blue and white glow jig the day prior, was like a blessing from them at OEX. Cheers, and now that I have employment again I will be investing in more LJ trips as well!

PS. you know what else is fun if you haven't tried it? Do some research and find a local bonito bite, bring 6lb test and the trusty bubble and feather, it is the most fun fishing ive done from a kayak! I know SD bay and Mission bay get runs once in a while, try it you'll thank me!

carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
ctfphoto

Yes dude, I remember you and that trip, you were cool, but I got skunked on the YT's. In hindsight, I am glad, as it is way funner catching a big yellowtail on a kayak after making my own bait.

I like your story as well, Nice fish. Big fish on yak are fun.

This has got to be one of the funnest things out their and I have done a lot of crazy fun shit.

Oh man I love the flavor of bonita plus they fight fantastic.

I have not seen them in years.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

I remember you and everyone out there heard you on that fish hahaha" i Better not farm it"

Nice job on the yt

Funny? The first thing you said to me after you saw me and my buddy gaff a double was "you're not going to post are you?"

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Hooray!

So glad to hear it Chris... you can now sleep well at night..... unless you start thinking of the NEXT one! Bring some over to my house for the smoker anytime.

All those hours of "time-on-the-water" paid off!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
scotty1369

YAAAAA! That was a great day chris, stoked you got your prize!
scotty1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
todd one

Nice job! I have to get out there and get mine now.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #20
theluckypig

theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote